[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2656 Post by how good is he » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 am

My question was based more on the long term...in say the next 50 years I expect an Olympic games held in Australia and if we cant even host any events at the Adelaide Oval then it is really lack of forward thinking/bad decision making. Can someone also definitely confirm one way or the other if it is FIFA compliant for things like the Asian Cup, Commonwealth game matches etc if not it would be even a bigger mistake.
Last edited by how good is he on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2657 Post by how good is he » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 am

By the way....Is it even compliant for rugby?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2658 Post by mattblack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 am

how good is he wrote:By the way....Is it even compliant for rugby?
It was made clear in the SACA meetings that it will be FIFA compliant, this is the major reason for the resurfacing works to make the surface lazer level. International rugby can also be hosted with Adelaide being eligible for "2nd tier matches" which may include teams like Scotland, Wales, Argentine, and the Springbox once the stadium has the 50,000 capacity.

bretthandorf
Gold-Member ;)

#2659 Post by bretthandorf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:37 pm

mattblack wrote:
It was made clear in the SACA meetings that it will be FIFA compliant, this is the major reason for the resurfacing works to make the surface lazer level. International rugby can also be hosted with Adelaide being eligible for "2nd tier matches" which may include teams like Scotland, Wales, Argentine, and the Springbox once the stadium has the 50,000 capacity.
Good luck getting 50,000 people to go to a rugby match in Adelaide.... Especially if it is a "2nd tier match"

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2660 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm

bretthandorf wrote:
mattblack wrote:
Good luck getting 50,000 people to go to a rugby match in Adelaide.... Especially if it is a "2nd tier match"
it does get frustrating.

send a 2nd rate match here, complain about lack of crowds - it is very annoying.

I'd love to get some Wallabies games that weren't against a made up team

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#2661 Post by spiller » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:16 pm

how good is he wrote:My question was based more on the long term...in say the next 50 years I expect an Olympic games held in Australia and if we cant even host any events at the Adelaide Oval then it is really lack of forward thinking/bad decision making. Can someone also definitely confirm one way or the other if it is FIFA compliant for things like the Asian Cup, Commonwealth game matches etc if not it would be even a bigger mistake.
in 50 years, Adelaide Oval will be ready to be demolished again.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#2662 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
believesinadsy wrote:
The builders have blocked off access to the stairs at the rear of the Members Stand. If you want to take pictures, I was told its easier to access the Northern Mound Decking and walk out onto the hill area to snap away.
Will be back in town later this week and was thinking to have a look from the northern end. So to confirm, can the general public access the northern end anytime to have a view?
yes, the general public can access the stadium via the Clarrie Grimmett gates(Northern End). Just hang a left immediately after walking through them and climb the stairs to the decking behind the Northern Mound, then walk down to the gassed area for the best photo taking place depending on which stand you wish to photograph. These gates are left open for the public to access the temporary SACA offices off to the right as you enter. There might also be a parklands(for the recreation of the public etc) reason that they are unable to shut the gates to keep the public out - but I'm not 100% sure on that. the building site is fenced off now so no OH&S issues.
How is it for people in wheelchairs ?

ChillyPhilly

#2663 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 am

mattblack wrote:
Re the FIFA compliance, the issue with say, AO hosting a large Adelaide United match, is that damn cricket pitch. Even if a drop in pitch, there'll be a hard patch of the turf.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#2664 Post by Waewick » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:54 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
mattblack wrote:
Re the FIFA compliance, the issue with say, AO hosting a large Adelaide United match, is that damn cricket pitch. Even if a drop in pitch, there'll be a hard patch of the turf.
eh? thats the point of the drop in pitch, there won't be a hard part

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2665 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:21 am

Waewick wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
mattblack wrote:
eh? thats the point of the drop in pitch, there won't be a hard part
While the pitch will be drop-in, there will still be centre wicket area (like the MCG has in summer) I suspect and won't just be a token one drop in pitch you get at grounds like Etihad Stadium and ANZ Stadium (and I think a couple of New Zealand stadiums). I also doubt that they would remove the entire centre wicket area mid-summer just for one or two soccer matches given the time it takes to move the wicket in and out.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2666 Post by rev » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Brucetiki wrote: While the pitch will be drop-in, there will still be centre wicket area (like the MCG has in summer) I suspect and won't just be a token one drop in pitch you get at grounds like Etihad Stadium and ANZ Stadium (and I think a couple of New Zealand stadiums). I also doubt that they would remove the entire centre wicket area mid-summer just for one or two soccer matches given the time it takes to move the wicket in and out.
I don't think it's a matter of how long it takes, but rather how much it will cost to maintain multiple drop in center pitches.
Realistically how many would be needed? Has it been mentioned anywhere how many they will maintain?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2667 Post by Norman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 am

3 or 5 I think

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2668 Post by mattblack » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:
How is it for people in wheelchairs ?
Not good at the moment. All the ramps and pedestrian walkways are cordoned off and there is no access to the members stand until the refurbishment is completed. The only view you will get of the playing surface is on this website.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2669 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Norman wrote:3 or 5 I think
That few? I would have thought they would kept it at 8.

3-5 is ok if it's only the occasional match that's played there, but for use Adelaide Oval gets, surely they would need to keep a 8 pitch wicket.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2670 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Port Adelaide Fan asked: How is it for people in Wheelchairs?

on match day it is fine, there are numerous elevators behind the Members stand and the Northern mound, for sneaking in on non-matchdays to get snappy stadium upgrade pics...not so much:(
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.