[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
arki
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2836 Post by arki » Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
arki wrote::lol:
Can't believe people are saying that viewers will be impressed by 'unique' Adelaide Oval with the missing northern end. If they didn't want to make the stadium look like its missing a stand they should have employed a design which actually incorporates the hill somehow with the rest of the stadium like a sloping roof or something from before the western stand was built. We should have been clever about it.
Now rather than this

We have this 'unique' look - the look of a cheap regional stadium that can be found on the tacky Gold Coast.

Oh well, I still like this development and think it is much better than the ill-conceived liberal plan.
That cheap regional stadium will be holding a commonwealth games in five years time.

The stadium in that first picture, though looking flash wouldn't have suited the character of the area, not to mention the fact that it leaves little ability to expand without having to butcher what would already exists.

Adelaide Oval will sooner or later have a northern stand, who knows what it will look like; whether it's just like the Southern Stand, a centrepiece of all the stands or something entirely different, who knows. It's possible without losing it's charm, whether the ground holds 20,000, 50,000 or 70,000 it'll still be the Adelaide Oval we love in some form. If they were to build a northern stand, there are plenty of options for the gems that sit there: The score-board could be de-constructed and re-constructed in the surrounding grounds and be used as a feature for the museum at the grounds or an exterior scoreboard and bar for the members area, the bay-fig trees could be moved; a big, undoubtedly expensive task, but it is possible, that leaving only the mound to be removed. But still better than losing all that remains precious about that hill.

I have one point for all the mild-naysayers on this topic; if we were to have left Adelaide Oval, and built another ground for AFL on the rail-yards, we'd have two facilities being used for only half of the year each. If we were to bulldoze the entire ground and re-build it'd no doubt look like another Gabba or MCG, and yes the MCG is spectacular in facilitating sport, but it's also horrendous looking for all angles not usually shot by media. The oldest stadia at those grounds was build in the early 90's and it already looks ridiculously tatty.
'That first picture' is Munich Olympic Stadium and to call it 'flash' is demeaning - it was built in the 60s! .

Your post just further supports what a lot of other people are saying: Adelaide Oval will still be an incomplete stadium after 2014. My original post comparing Munich Olympaistadion and Metricon was intended to those who claim the retention of the northern hill is intentional for historic reasons. If like you say it will eventially be built upon then like I said, the stadium is thus far incomplete.

So to summarise for you: If the hill is really a point of difference and intended to stay forever as part of the stadium attraction then the surrounding stands should have been designed with this in mind to avoid the stadium from looking incomplete.

I hope your last paragraph wasn't aimed at me. I have NEVER supported the development of any other stadium, only Adelaide Oval. And like I said, I still do support it but lets not be ridiculous and think that anyone who isn't familiar with the heritage of the oval will find the northern mound 'unique' and different. To them it is akin to a stadium built on the cheap like Metricon (whether or not that stadium hosts a Commonwealth Games is irrelevant and even then, Metricon will be fully enclosed by the 2018 games)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2837 Post by rev » Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 pm

What a pointless argument.
Neither of you are right btw, because none of us know whether a northern stand will be or wont be built.
It certainly isn't part of the plans, otherwise it would have been shown as an option if it was needed as part of a long term vision for upgrading the stadium in the future as need requires.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#2838 Post by mattwinter » Wed May 29, 2013 3:25 pm

I certainly would have liked to have seen a design that better incorporated the hill - I always wanted something more like Durban's world cup stadium, only with a bigger gap at the end:

Problem was the Western stand was built before the others, rather than it all being done at once, and the designers also probably didn't want to end the possibility of a northern stand.

I remember talk of the design being changed to a "grander" design if Australia's 2022 world cup bid was successful - I wonder if we would have got something a bit more like this.

At the end of the day, the new oval will be a brilliant venue to watch sport.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2839 Post by Matt » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:17 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370080030.868497.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370080030.868497.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Cracking in-flight shot borrowed from Instagram.
Looks great.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2840 Post by mattblack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:30 am

Last southern stand crane came down over the weekend.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2842 Post by mattblack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:12 pm

They have a few mobile cranes on site that are as high as some of the fixed cranes. Should see some action on that front in the next month or so.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2843 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Saturday morning(01/06/13) external from the Torrens rotunda.

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2844 Post by Vee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 am

Vexed issue of car parking in the park lands - near the Adelaide Oval - again!!

ACC Councillor, David Plumridge, is against using the former rail yards carpark (soon to be grassed) for extra parking for 450 cars during events at Adelaide Oval.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-05/c ... ed/4733792

I don't have an issue with temporary car parking for major events eg footy on this former rail yards site. It would provide an income for general maintenance and upkeep of the Park Lands. Some people have fewer public transport options than others. But the majority should take the multiple option choices afforded by public transport (and the Footy Express).

Extra car parking requirements for Adelaide Oval is behind increasing restrictions for parking in and around North Adelaide
Nurses call for car parking close to the WCH to redress personal safety fears and overcome increasing restrictions and competition for car parks.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6657401178

Personal safety for nurses working shiftwork at the WCH should be a priority.

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#2845 Post by AdelaideAlive » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#2846 Post by Shahkar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:08 pm

AdelaideAlive wrote:just another day in paradise

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/adelaide- ... 6659240552
I swear the only sensible people in the ACC are Stephen Yarwood and Houssam Abiad.

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#2847 Post by AdelaideAlive » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 pm

its bad enough we cant even enjoy the view of the southern stand from riverbank plaza cause of the 2 huge trees blocking the view and vice versa looking across the torrens, we may as well paint the stadium army green and blend it in with the trees and maybe throw some green nets over the top of the stadium, then we could surprise the tourists, element of surprise when all these people jump out of the trees. :hilarious:

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2848 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:54 pm

I can't believe the councillors are complaining that the stadium needs to be surrounded by tall trees. They were consulted and knew full well from the start how big it was going to be and if they had concerns about it, they should have raised it in the beginning. They saw the models, the artists impressions, the renders, the flythroughs, etc. But no, better leave it until the thing actually gets built, and then complain!

I don't feel sorry or care for them. They can shutup, sit in their office, and complain about something else. Or better yet, not complain, and actually get onboard with Yarwood, and be proactive for once!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2849 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Another news story about trees?....... Yawn.

metro
Legendary Member!

#2850 Post by metro » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:06 pm

crawf wrote:Another news story about trees?....... Yawn.
I've had enough of seeing news about trees, character, and views being spoiled. It's not news, it's just a great big whinge by the extremely vocal Adelaide NIMBY minority who, in the last few years, have lost all of their power to stop things happening in Adelaide!