[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2716 Post by monotonehell » Sat May 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:Why not? Just because I think it's more appropriate that Adelaide host first doesn't mean it bothers me too much. I'm just excited that AFC is moving to Adelaide Oval.
Because the first part of your statement is...
Tyler_Durden wrote:While I'm not that bothered by who gets the first game...
...while the second part goes on to be bothered by who gets the first game. ;P

Le sigh. Just as I predicted this thread has become a mess of religious nuts arguing about footy. Maybe I'll move the posts to the pub when I can be bothered.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2717 Post by rev » Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 pm

monotonehell wrote: Le sigh. Just as I predicted this thread has become a mess of religious nuts arguing about footy. Maybe I'll move the posts to the pub when I can be bothered.
Your going to hell my son.
REPENT!!
Your Lord and savior will deliver you from eternal damnation!

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2718 Post by Brando » Sat May 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Nah, let it go on for a few more days and let everyone get it out of their system...then clean it up.

For a completely unbiased opinion, as a die hard Essendon man, Port without a doubt should be given the rights to this game. A no brainer if you ask me. Without Port and it's successful tradition, SA football would not have the respect in the football world.

Having lived in Melbourne, it really is surprising the knowledge of the PAFC, retrospect of Power V's Magpies history.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#2719 Post by Phantom » Sat May 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Just out of curiosity and seeing as how people are talking about this... The Crows may very well be a puppet of the SANFL, but if memory serves me correctly, wasn't it Port that attempted to join the AFL in the late eighties or early nineties, while the SANFL was organising a South Australian team (which was deemed far too strong), which in turn seen them ostracised from the SANFL for a while? Does anyone know it the SANFL still holds a grudge about this?

Back on topic - As a Crows supporter, I can see it being logical that Port Adelaide host the first event at the Adelaide Oval. I mean, the club could definitely use with an instant sellout game financially. They've made no real action to try and hide the fact that the club's finances aren't in a good place. It's public knowledge, really.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

serca
High Rise Poster!

#2720 Post by serca » Sat May 04, 2013 6:08 pm

Tyler_Durden your comments are confusing and strange. Adelaide Crows claim the CBD and greater Adelaide? How about regional SA? Soo Melbourne FC claims Melbourne CBD and greater Melb burbs , St kilda? Richmond? Collingwood? .......... The crows home was and is Westlakes. PAFC clearly have a longer and stronger history with Adelaide oval if anything. And they do train in Port Adelaide suburb of Alberton where they home has always been. I feel like I have a lower IQ having to even defend any of this your team is better than my team mentality! Just keep your eyes on the AFL ladder all of this banter means nothing :toilet:

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2721 Post by Paulns » Sat May 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Does anyone know what renovations/modifications are being made to The Western Stand? Thanks!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

rev

#2722 Post by rev » Sat May 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Phantom wrote:Just out of curiosity and seeing as how people are talking about this... The Crows may very well be a puppet of the SANFL, but if memory serves me correctly, wasn't it Port that attempted to join the AFL in the late eighties or early nineties, while the SANFL was organising a South Australian team (which was deemed far too strong), which in turn seen them ostracised from the SANFL for a while? Does anyone know it the SANFL still holds a grudge about this?
Slight correction. The SANFL were not putting together an SA team for the AFL before Port moved ahead with plans to join the VFL/AFL.
Port Adelaide was invited by the Victorians to join. Port accepted.
The SANFL threw a tantrum, threatened legal action. The AFL then said "come up with an SA team". So the SANFL threw up after a night of binge drinking chardonnay, and out came the Adelaide Crows, denying Port Adelaide it's rightful place in the national competition as the strongest South Australian team.
The whole reason the Crows exist, is simply to spite Port Adelaide.
Back on topic - As a Crows supporter, I can see it being logical that Port Adelaide host the first event at the Adelaide Oval. I mean, the club could definitely use with an instant sellout game financially. They've made no real action to try and hide the fact that the club's finances aren't in a good place. It's public knowledge, really.
Port Adelaide has won 21 premierships at Adelaide Oval.(another 13 at "Football Park").
The Crows got the first showdown at AAMI..let's say their claim was they were the first SA based AFL team.
The Crows finish off the 2013 season with the final AAMI showdown as well. Quite fitting imo, since they started off the "official" rivalry on field with the first showdown.

Port has a rich historical connection to Adelaide Oval, more so then any other ground. If it weren't for Port taking the first steps to move to Adelaide Oval on it's own, there would be no redevelopment and we'd be stuck with bandaid fixes at AAMI for eternity as the SANFL would continue milking tax payer funds as long as they could.
Port should get it simply to recognize the fact that it has contributed so much to football in this state, and continues to bring the game forward to the benefit of all football fans in this state, regardless of who they support.

Paulns, I believe the alterations to the Western stand are for the AFL media center? It was discussed a few pages back before the port-crows posts.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2723 Post by Waewick » Sat May 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Rev you have no idea. port wanted to play at the old AO not the new one.

They also has zero to do with the redevelopment apart from being on the teat of the SANFL.

And finally, without the crows there is no new AO

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2724 Post by Matt » Sat May 04, 2013 8:21 pm

ZZZZZzzzzzzz

How's the redevelopment going?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2725 Post by Brucetiki » Sat May 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Paulns wrote:Does anyone know what renovations/modifications are being made to The Western Stand? Thanks!
From what I've seen from the pics so far

- New interchange benches
- New premium seating on level 3 of the 'red seats'
- Football media centre on level 4 of the 'red seats'

I also understand some retrofitting will be done to provide some further protection from the elements in the undercover sections.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2726 Post by Wayno » Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 am

Brucetiki wrote:I also understand some retrofitting will be done to provide some further protection from the elements in the undercover sections.
Complaints abound (apparently) from regular AAMI Stadium attendees that AO offers significantly less protection from the elements (rain, wind). Presumably caused by higher roof heights?

What retrofitting is being done?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2727 Post by Vee » Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 am

Has there been any update on how the buses will operate at the Adelaide Oval in comparison to the current system with the Footy Express and Country buses at the bus interchange at AAMI?

The Footy Express system is a great service and works pretty well to transport the masses to and from AAMI. Obviously, there is no train service to AAMI and the train (and to a lesser extent) the tram options will reduce the need for as many buses at Adelaide Oval. I assume the current free public transport will continue??
Would this extend to the cost of public transport included in the price of an Event/Concert like it does for the Clipsal?

How many will decide to walk into the city or North Adelaide to 'kick on' after the game? (Depends on the day/time of the game and weather and any special events/offerings on in the city). This will spread the transport needs over a greater time period but is less predictable than at AAMI.

Is there sufficient room at Adelaide Oval to provide the number of drop off and passenger assembly points required? Where will the buses gather/line up, ready to be called up, as buses fill up and depart? Parade Ground, Victoria Drive, Memorial Drive?

It's not long now until games are played at the new Adelaide Oval. Counting the months now, later the days!!!!!

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#2728 Post by Tyler_Durden » Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 am

Hooligan wrote:Well Port Adelaide have never had a home ground in Port Adelaide either so what do you think about that.
I think that's a very good point, a point that I made a few posts before yours. Despite never playing home games in Port Adelaide the Port Adelaide Football Club clearly represent and identify with Port Adelaide. And this correlates with the Adelaide Football Club and Adelaide. It took a while but at least you got there in the end. :D

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2729 Post by [Shuz] » Sun May 05, 2013 11:53 am

The match day arrangements is to completely close King William Street to all road traffic, excepting public transport. Thus in effect making the most of KWS a pedestrian throughfare between the Women's and Childrens Hospital to North Terrace, complimenting the newly built Torrens footbridge.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#2730 Post by rev » Sun May 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Waewick wrote:Rev you have no idea. port wanted to play at the old AO not the new one.

They also has zero to do with the redevelopment apart from being on the teat of the SANFL.

And finally, without the crows there is no new AO
That's exactly what I said, with the exception about the Crows being the catalyst for the redevelopment.
The Government came along and wanted to redevelop the oval as part of the riverbank upgrade.
Obviously with a 50,000 seat oval, they would need both teams to move there to make it viable. That's what the AFL wants, because it's better for it's brand image.
The whole thing was kicked off by Port wanting to move to Adelaide Oval. < Fact.

The SANFL teat? Well about bloody time they gave something back to Port after bleeding Port dry for years at AAMI. <Fact.
Worst stadium deal in the AFL. < Fact.