[CAN] 123 Flinders Street | 135m | 39lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: 123 Flinders Street - 78m 22Lvl Mixed-Use

#16 Post by Adelarch » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Wow! Love it :applause:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 pm

That looks brilliant, lets hope this one gets the go-ahead.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#18 Post by Thanial » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:45 pm

I was so shocked when I saw this I closed my laptop and came back ten minutes later to check if my computer was infested by a virus or something... :shock:

Looks amazing! Hopefully it gets the go-ahead, got a strange feeling the council will put its height down to the traditional 72m :roll: As long as they keep the design (and most of the height) Adelaide might finally have an iconic building! :D

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#19 Post by rev » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:09 pm

IMO this is hands down the best proposal we have seen in Adelaide.
If the mods don't mind me saying, this shits on anything we've seen proposed.

Given the unique design of this and that this will likely become an iconic building(we'll finally be known for something other then Westpac), I think think this is a golden opportunity for the Council to prove that they really are serious about improving and growing out city.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:33 pm

Ugly but interesting.

Hope this one goes ahead. If anyone screams "not in harmony with its surroundings" its neighbours along Flinders are already slightly interesting contemporary builds.
mgb wrote:It's interesting that they are looking to put the car parking above ground. Something we saw back with with Conservatory on Hindmarsh.

At least this means that the development will have to go ahead as a single stage, and not carpark first. I have to wonder though is it really that expensive to put the carpark underground? Or is it something else that is causing this new trend?

It appears that there will be 5 levels of parking, which seems like a waste of prime office space plus never really looks as good due to the ventilation requirements.
Just speculating, but having natural ventilation is far less expensive to install and run that continuously having to supply air pressure to an underground level.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] #PRO: 123 Flinders Street - 78m 22Lvl Mixed-Use

#21 Post by Benski81 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Love it and it's not a boring glass box. On another note who cares what the ACC thinks, it only matters what the DAC has to say and I move to strike any further reference to the council from the remainder of this thread.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by arki » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Well the design is certainly interesting and much needed in our bland and dated skyline however 78m tall would hardly make this building 'iconic' or a rival to Westpac.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:23 am

arki wrote:Well the design is certainly interesting and much needed in our bland and dated skyline however 78m tall would hardly make this building 'iconic' or a rival to Westpac.
A building doesn't have to be tall to be iconic.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by iTouch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:37 am

it's going to be taller then Sydney Opera House!!

In all seriousness though, this is an amazing proposal. The ACC are meant to be arty-farty and this proposal should highlight that
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by phenom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 am

What a fantastic proposal and entirely unexpected! I really like this kind of innovative design, something that will really help push the 'core' of the city out in yet another direction (in addition to the western and southern expansions currently in play) and provide something that doesn't scream cheap and nasty. Although it's more complex in shape and design, it is to me in some ways what Wave could have been if it could have been tall enough to stand out. The views from the apartments will be top rate plus the location is fantastic.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:44 am

Wow wow wow

This is definitely the most interesting and 'out there' building ever proposed for Adelaide. It's definitely the type of development this city needs.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Pants » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 am

arki wrote:Well the design is certainly interesting and much needed in our bland and dated skyline however 78m tall would hardly make this building 'iconic' or a rival to Westpac.
How tall's that Opera House they've got over there in Sydney?

Nonetheless, I still wouldn't call this proposal iconic though. As much as I love it and as refreshing as it is to see something like this proposed in Adelaide, I don't think it stacks up against other buildings both nationally and internationally that are legitimately considered icons. Something can't be considered iconic by reference to other buildings in its location only.

Still, hyperbole aside, I am really excited about the proposal and hope it both gets built in its present form and acts as a benchmark for future developments so that we can see the back of the raft of uninspired glass boxes. Well done Paul (if you're reading) and well done to the developers for giving their architects a licence and a budget to be creative.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by Waewick » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:57 am

looks great, but can't see it happening.

mainly because I can't see how they will get the apartments sales given the large number they will need - unless the owner has deep pockets and the 4 levels of commercial get taken up.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Pants » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:20 am

I wonder how it's constituted.

This would be a weird layout, but I see it as 4 levels of car parking and the rest an even split of residential and commercial with the balconies in the centre being the residential component and the other glass on the far east and west being the commercial.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 am

certainly different - i like it.

And not to mention the exclusive for S-A. Good street cred indeed! Paul Pruszinski from Pruszinski Architects - thanks mate!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.