[COM] 374-400 King William Street | 47m | 11lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#16 Post by Will » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:06 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Adelarch wrote:...Simple and elegant. The glass box seems to float over the lower stories...
One question though, is this building too bulky? Wouldn't two (taller) towers look better, or would they be too prominent in some other way?

Cheers
The council has imposed a height restriction of 40m for that section of the city, therefore you could only make a building 40cm taller than this one. Nevertheless the council could approve something taller, although this would only occur for a proposal that had a high degree of merit on many accounts.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#17 Post by Mants » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 pm

that doesnt make sense...isnt optus 60m tall?

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#18 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:54 pm

Will wrote:The council has imposed a height restriction of 40m for that section of the city, therefore you could only make a building 40cm taller than this one. Nevertheless the council could approve something taller, although this would only occur for a proposal that had a high degree of merit on many accounts.
Is the height restriction also imposed for the southern corners of Gilles and King William Streets or does the council only impose this on the northern corners (if such a thing is true)? Was the Optus Centre built on merit? Curious.

Cheers

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#19 Post by AtD » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:15 pm

I would think Optus was built before these regulations came into existance. Someone else would know better.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#20 Post by Will » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Will wrote:The council has imposed a height restriction of 40m for that section of the city, therefore you could only make a building 40cm taller than this one. Nevertheless the council could approve something taller, although this would only occur for a proposal that had a high degree of merit on many accounts.
Is the height restriction also imposed for the southern corners of Gilles and King William Streets or does the council only impose this on the northern corners (if such a thing is true)? Was the Optus Centre built on merit? Curious.

Cheers
The Optus building was built in 1990, and the new height restrictions were introduced in January this year. The 40m height limit applies for all of southern King William Street.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#21 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Will wrote:...the new height restrictions were introduced in January this year. The 40m height limit applies for all of southern King William Street.
Will, thanks for your answers. Do you know what was the reasoning behind this change?

Cheers

bva
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#22 Post by bva » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:40 am

after a quick read of the ACC DP it appears to me that the Council is seeking a bouelvard approach with defined edges to the southern part of King william street, leading into a central core more exemplified by clusters of taller buildings (albeit reinforcind adelaide's grid pattern). This central spine works well in my mind and in general terms around 40m srikes a good balance taking into account street width and nature of lower level development nearby (ie it still has presence against the conglomeration of 1-6 storey buildings). I actually consider this design a positive result for this new policy and look forward to seeing a modern 'boulevard' emerging in this part of the city - hopefully with a more co-ordinated and sophisticated streetscape design as well - pity adelaide planners cant force that one like wat can be done

If I remember well Optus was placed as a southern marker to the city and there was talk of another on the eastern corner to create a pair. I think policy, economic (it was vacant for a long time) and design issues killed that off.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#23 Post by Will » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Will wrote:...the new height restrictions were introduced in January this year. The 40m height limit applies for all of southern King William Street.
Will, thanks for your answers. Do you know what was the reasoning behind this change?

Cheers
What bva wrote is correct, but the new height restrictions were also introduced in order for developers to be able to build higher buildings. Higher buildings can house more people, therefore this fits with the council's population policy of 28 000 people. Also the council finally recognized that the previous height restrictions were too restrictive and were an obstacle to progress.

The previous height restriction for the southern half of King William Street was only 21m!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#24 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:32 pm

Will wrote:council's population policy of 28 000 people
i thought it was over 30,000 people

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#25 Post by Snorkie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:36 pm

Drove past the site earlier today and saw some samaras trucks driving around on the site. Possibility that this one may be u/c soon, or am I making too much out of nothing...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#26 Post by AtD » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Last time I wondered down that way, I had a peek in between the cracks of the fencing. All I saw was a crane truck that looked like it had been there for a year or three, covered in graffiti.

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#27 Post by Snorkie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:16 pm

Last time I wondered down that way, I had a peek in between the cracks of the fencing. All I saw was a crane truck that looked like it had been there for a year or three, covered in graffiti.
Yeah that one has been there for ages, and hasnt moved. But as I mentioned above i saw truck or excavator, or something along those lines driving around the site with samaras printed on the side of it... so dont know...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#28 Post by Will » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:35 pm

A tenant has not been found for this building. And it is very unlikely construction will begin before a tenant is found.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#29 Post by Mants » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:31 pm

didnt someone in this thread or another mention that SA Police were looking to move into a new office in the southern CBD?

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#30 Post by Pistol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:52 pm

I thought SAPOL were looking to move to the west of the city - possibly that new Twin Towers on Franklin St. I don't think that they would have any problems finding a tenant for this building if the current trends in the Adelaide office market continue.