[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#166 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 am

The billboards make more sense at that intersection than video screens. It is not a convienient meeting position and a 'Times Square effect' wouldn't pull off so easily.

I like the idea of enhancing one of the city squares so that it caters for video screen displays. Preferable location would be Light Square, an area where few hi-rises are in place, so that future development in the area would have to feature a videoscreen/billboard format.

Sure either option would have been great, so I'm happy enough with the outcome.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#167 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:45 am

Howie wrote:I thought those plans were approved and withdrawn by the vendor.
Likewise.

The old render of this chosen design didn't look as flash compared to what I saw on 7 news.

I'm going to be so glad too see that ugly carpark covered over, this is going to brighten that part of town. Plus it will be great too see billboards on the Target and UniSA buildings - it will give the CBD more of a city feel. The current HJ's carpark destroys Rundle Street IMO, as one end is very classy and vibrant while the other end is drab and boring which is a shame because thats where it connects with Adelaide's Retail Mecca 'Rundle Mall'.

The place where I would like too see become a popular gathering place with a big screen would be Victoria Square once the tramline is removed.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#168 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:06 am

Yeah whats going on with all these KWS developments?,

Are they still going ahead?, have they found tenants?

It would be mad if all these developments go ahead, Adelaide would have a southern skyline :D

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#169 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:28 am

crawf wrote:The place where I would like too see become a popular gathering place with a big screen would be Victoria Square once the tramline is removed.
I agree, for a video screen as such it needs to be in one of the squares. Victoria Sq should be the place for it but in reality this square does not get anywhere near enough foot traffic, especially after business hours. Actually, none of Adelaide's squares get enough foot traffic to be a meeting place or a hang out place but I think Hindmarsh has the most potential. It is very close to heavy traffic areas Rundle Mall and Rundle Street, and with a bit of strategic development (a screen alone is not enough but is one good idea) it could draw on that nearby population. Making Hindmarsh Sq a bit more pedestrian friendly would be a start, but it also needs more retail and entertainment. It already has cinemas but they are a but run down. A few restaurants, cafes bars could be added.

Personally, I think Hindmarsh Sq is a real dark horse and has so much potential. But they need to focus less on offices and more on entertainment/retail/hospitality to truly bring the square alive.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#170 Post by Mants » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:26 pm

shuza wrote:Such stunning development for that side of town. I thought this one had died or is that the 400KWS?
379 KWS is no longer goin ahead.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#171 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:40 pm

I'd love to see Victoria Square redeveloped and turned into a bit of an entertainment precinct, ala Fed Square in Melbourne, but with a different design. It's the 'heart of the city', and will become moreso, with the amount of proposed development down that way. Would be great with an innovative superscreen set up, with an unusual design.

Anyway, I had the ACC send me some gear about the concept of what's been proposed/approved for Rundle Street, and it looks fantastic.

It's basically hundreds of aluminium panels affixed on an angle to the front and side of the carpark, each with a stick of LCD lights below it.

The entire thing is hooked up to a computer program and is used to project coloured lights and animations over the entire exterior of the carpark.

The renders in the booklet look fantastic - I don't have a scanner, but if someone else has one and has the gear from the council, please put it up. It's basically the picture that was in the paper yesterday, but with several other colours/images and in more detail so you can see how it all works.

Hopefully they run with it, I reckon it would be a real "landmark" for Adelaide. Certainly very unique.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#172 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info mate, sounds very exciting. And I agree I can see it becoming a landmark attraction for Adelaide. :D

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#173 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:03 pm

What did they say about it on the news?

I'll see if I can scan some of the renders tonight.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#174 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:22 pm

I dunno, I only saw the shorts for it

I'm so annoyed at myself for forgetting to tape it :x

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#175 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:15 pm

Matt wrote:I'd love to see Victoria Square redeveloped and turned into a bit of an entertainment precinct, ala Fed Square in Melbourne, but with a different design. It's the 'heart of the city', and will become moreso, with the amount of proposed development down that way. Would be great with an innovative superscreen set up, with an unusual design.
I'd love it too but erecting a big screen and putting up a sign that says 'entertainment precinct' will not make it so. An entertainment precinct needs entertainment and unfortanately Victoria Square will just never have that. It is surrounded by offices. And all the new developments are office buidlings. Offices are not entertaining.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#176 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Ok, here are some pics.

MaximumForce
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#177 Post by MaximumForce » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea, the only downside is - it will only be noticeable at night. Or will it always be illuminated? If only at night then will the lights be turned off at 10:00 p.m mon-fri ??

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#178 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:13 pm

6pm until 12:30am is the plan - I assume every day.

The report notes that "LEDs while visibly bright, emit a low level of light and will not be an issue for residents in the area".

Not sure how that works - either it's bright or not..
The renders look hot though.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM]

#179 Post by rev » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:46 pm

Wasnt this canned in favour of some pissed down by the acc alternative idea?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#180 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:05 pm

That looks so hot!