[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Proposed - Edge (416-420 KWS) - 11 Levels - 40m

#226 Post by Will » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:20 pm

The article highlights the extreme nostalgia which I detest. Thankfully the council ruled in favour of common sense and approved these towers. The CBD is exactly that, the CBD. It is not a retirement village. If you want peace and quiet move to the country.

urban
Legendary Member!

#227 Post by urban » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:54 pm

These people aren't actually interested in Heritage. This is not a heritage issue. They just see heritage as something to give them leverage in their complaint. I think the credibility of the heritage movement suffers because whenever someone wants to stop a development they pull out the heritage card to gain sympathy.

Good to see Harbo knocking their complaints on the head quickly.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#228 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Residents Christopher Smith and Lee Waye told the development assessment panel they intended to retire to their heritage properties in Symonds Place but their quality of life now would be ruined.
Tell someone who cares, I could understand if you were living in the country or maybe the suburbs but not a major CBD.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Proposed - Rundle Convergence

#229 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Giant screen cost blow-out
Article from: The Advertiser
CANDICE KELLER

July 24, 2007 02:30pm

THE Times Square style television screen proposed for Rundle and Pultney street intersection will cost $600,000 more than first expected.
At the Capital Works, Assets and Projects committee meeting last night , members were told the cost for the development has risen to $1.985 million. The initial costing was $1.3 million.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison moved that the committee endorsed the updated proposal.

Mr Harbison told the committee it's "very exciting the plans for the area are developing".

"This is the centre piece in the Pultney Street upgrade project . . . it's absolutely exemplary in the public artwork realm," he said.

Other councillors were more concerned about the cost blow-out.

"I think it's a beautiful vision . . . but I thought $1.3 million was a high enough cost," Councillor Angove said.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#230 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Howie wrote:
Giant screen cost blow-out
Article from: The Advertiser
CANDICE KELLER

July 24, 2007 02:30pm

THE Times Square style television screen proposed for Rundle and Pultney street intersection will cost $600,000 more than first expected.
At the Capital Works, Assets and Projects committee meeting last night , members were told the cost for the development has risen to $1.985 million. The initial costing was $1.3 million.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison moved that the committee endorsed the updated proposal.

Mr Harbison told the committee it's "very exciting the plans for the area are developing".

"This is the centre piece in the Pultney Street upgrade project . . . it's absolutely exemplary in the public artwork realm," he said.

Other councillors were more concerned about the cost blow-out.

"I think it's a beautiful vision . . . but I thought $1.3 million was a high enough cost," Councillor Angove said.
The "television screen" idea was ditched, so I presume she's talking the LED reflector screen system. Great journalism...
Keep Adelaide Weird

duke
High Rise Poster!

#231 Post by duke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:08 pm

If only they would give time lines. I'm impatient!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#232 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:16 pm

Rundle Lantern lights the way

24 Jul 2007 [12.00am]

A bold new concept will illuminate the corner of Rundle Mall and Pulteney Street following a visionary move by the Adelaide City Council to proceed with a design called Rundle Lantern.

Rundle Lantern will be made up of 714 rectangular panels, each incorporating an LED (light emitting device) system, affixed on the Northern and Western facades of the Council’s Rundle Street UPark, covering almost 40% of the building.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said Rundle Lantern will create an architectural landmark for the City of Adelaide.

“A stunning artistic installation, Rundle Lantern will act as a canvas to showcase a variety of interactive and moving imagery which is driven by computer software,” Mr Harbison said.

“The Rundle Lantern could also be used for special occasions such as New Year’s Eve and other key cultural events in South Australia.

“Transforming the existing building each evening into a colourful centrepiece for the intersection, Rundle Lantern will also become an attraction for visitors and residents alike.”

Environmental considerations have also been taken into account through the incorporation of LEDs which use 90% less energy than conventional incandescent bulbs and the lifespan of an LED lamp is also 100 times that of a conventional bulb.

The angle of the panels will permit 50% air flow throughout the floors of the UPark allowing ventilation.

The Rundle Lantern Design, created by South Australian design company, Fusion, could be in operation within seven months of construction commencing. The estimated cost of the project is $1.9 million.

The next steps for the Adelaide City Council will include further finalisation of the design and consideration for carbon neutral principles, and a call to tender for construction.

NEW Renders:

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/adcc ... aytime.jpg

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/adcc ... _night.jpg

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#233 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:18 pm

Unfortunately looks awhile away though. I remember the advertiser stating a few months ago, construction could start as soon as May this year...

duke
High Rise Poster!

#234 Post by duke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:49 pm

beamer85 wrote:Rundle Lantern lights the way
Geze that looks bad.

Why do they have to do some arty cr** like that. Why don't they just stick up a massive screen and put Sky News on it or something. Change it for sporting events or what ever. People would actually stand around and watch it then rather than some useless thing. Even advertisements would be better than what it sounds like they are proposing. At least ad's would make money for the council.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#235 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:01 pm

It's meant to be arty as it's part of the Pulteney street upgrade. I don't think anyone would consider an "upgrade" of a streetscape to be a billboard or advertisement screen.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#236 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:57 am

duke wrote:
Geze that looks bad.

Why do they have to do some arty cr** like that. Why don't they just stick up a massive screen and put Sky News on it or something. Change it for sporting events or what ever. People would actually stand around and watch it then rather than some useless thing. Even advertisements would be better than what it sounds like they are proposing. At least ad's would make money for the council.
The council rightly decided, in my view, that the location was not appropriate for a big screen. It's a busy junction afterall; where are people supposed to "stand around and watch it" - in amongst the traffic? This doesn't mean the big screen idea is dead - they're just looking to do it elsewhere.

I'm disappointed that they've altered the original proposal, however. It doesn't look even half as good with the reduced coverage area.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#237 Post by Pistol » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Just out of interest, I noticed that they have changed the design to incorporate LED panels instead of the original fluoro design. Wouldn't this mean that there is a possibility that it could be used as a screen to show tv pictures? Also looking at those images, that building really lends itself to having a news ticker running around where the HJs sign is. Now that would look fantastic.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#238 Post by Howie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:34 pm

Pistol78 wrote:Just out of interest, I noticed that they have changed the design to incorporate LED panels instead of the original fluoro design. Wouldn't this mean that there is a possibility that it could be used as a screen to show tv pictures? Also looking at those images, that building really lends itself to having a news ticker running around where the HJs sign is. Now that would look fantastic.
Hey pistol, they're led panels which are reflected onto a larger panel.. the da explains how this works.. they won't be capable of supporting high resolution full motion video, so it'll just be the arty things we see on the renders.

Btw guys HJ has moved hasn't it?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#239 Post by Ben » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Howie wrote:
Btw guys HJ has moved hasn't it?
I think they are just renovating..

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#240 Post by Pistol » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:55 pm

Renovating unfortunately. Hopefully they get rid of that hideous pink colour scheme.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken