[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#91 Post by Pistol » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:57 pm

^^ Nice one Stelaras.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#92 Post by Will » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:58 pm

stelaras wrote:does it really matter....Its just another fast food outlet serving food that is contributing to the obesity problem facing Australian youth and Australians as a whole....

After all we are second to the USA for obesity related issues....even the English eat better than us!!!

I reckon they ought to ban fast food outlets like that.....

A healthy fresh cut roll or sandwich costs just about the same price if not cheaper, has probably half the fat and tastes so much better...Might actually fill you up rather than the junk these fast food places provide which fill you up for about 1hr....

wasteful nutritionless calories, contributing to the growing midregions of Aussie people.....despite the other things that high fat diets cause...like:

impotence, bad skin, constipation and coronary heart disease

that's my community announcement for the day!
People have to take responsability for their lives. Everyone knows that fast food like Hugry Jacks is fattening. And people in the city have a choice to buy healthy food. Banning fast food will solve nothing. If we ban fast food, we should also ban alcohol, cigarettes, cars, knives, cricket bats... (because they are dangerous or can be used to kill or injure).

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#93 Post by stelaras » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:57 pm

Will

in part i agree with your argument. People must take responsibility for their lives and a food company has every right to market its product and try and comete for the dollar however, as a medical practioner i accept and preach that mentality.. However, some of your points dont stand up to criticism that well...

let me explain:

Banning alcohol: their is no need to ban alcohol, if we banned that it would send the industry to the underground and bring out home spirit brewers which if iam not mistaken in SA as in the rest of australia it is ILLEGAL to do so. Alcohol abuse is a big problem but not as big as obesity...the reason is that there is awareness and education around the subject. There is pro-alcohol commercials on TV, however, you dont see them advocating kids drinking Jim Beam and cola do they??.....the advertising campaign for fast food is marketed to little kids who know no better...Moreover, alcohol is priced out f the market for little kids and infact one needs to be above the age of 18 to buy it.....Obesity doesnt begin at an adult age, the roots of the disease is seeded at birth and during young pre-pubescent life, we just see the effects of that during adult life

Cigarettes: marketting cigarettes has been banned in Australia for almost 10 years and replaced with education and images of what could happen if you take on the habit

Cars: Cars kill 3000 people in Australia each year, Obesity kills tens of thouands of people in australia each year. You need a licence to drive a car...you dont need permission from anyone to go to your fast food chain of choice and order a burger or two everyday! Moreover, you dont see Holden Ford or any car company putting on a TV commercial that says buy our new VE commodore drive it real fast and wrap yourself around a stobie pole....However, 1 in every 3 commercials is a fast food commercial targetted to little kids and they give cute little toys to suck them in....

Cricket Bats: as far as iam aware it is illegal to carry a cricket bat in your car unless you are travelling to and from a cricket match/practice or whatever...and correct me if im wrong but i dont think there are many deaths related to cricket bats injuries

Knives: Well they are illegal in SA to be carried around, with some pretty tough restriction on blade size...

Imprtantly will......Cars, knives cricket bats will only kill because they are used by idiots or people with serious psychological issues to mame someone else

However, marketting is a powerful tool, if you get the target audience hooked on your product from a young age you have them for life....so in my opinion it is a crime to suck a little kid that doesnt know anything about nutrition to be dependent on fast food....

One can argue that the governement invests lots of money to educate families in nutrition etc etc...However, the obesity problem gets worse and worse each year....so something isnt working, right??

The best way to reduce obesity is to educate and ban the blatant use of commercials to suck in young kids, it only takes one generation to make a change and the benefits stay for many many more generations

its not a personal attack, just looking at the bigger picture

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#94 Post by Will » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:09 pm

^^^

Your arguement was based entirelly around the fact that obesity starts at a young age. That is true, however little kids dont have money and do not buy the food. This comes back to my arguement. People have to take responsibility for their lives. Parents should learn to say NO sometimes.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#95 Post by stelaras » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:21 pm

true Will i dont dispute that

However, the stats say that kids as young as 4 eat fast food at least 2 times a week... That is enough to get them addicted to the taste at that age...If that bi-weekly approach is mainted until that child is at high school age...then the usage increases to 4 times a week.....

At high school age the junk food eating is out of parents hands. Moreover, based on todays stats, the parents of those kids that are at risk now are parents that have grown up with fast food outlets as a "normal" dya to day approach on life....So they are sucked into the game already. Unfortunately obesity tends to distribute around poorer socio-economic backgrounds of which in our country makes up 20-30% of the population... I don't have all the answers, and alot is made based as you said on choice...however, you have to agree that the marketting is smart and the food addictive catered to suck you in from young and hold you there for life...

Dont get me wrong, im not perfect, i eat lollies and chips and drink softdrinks too....but its a small portion of my weekly diet. I dont eat fast food though (McD, HJ or KFC) the most wuld be a Pizza or BBQ chicken..

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#96 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:05 pm

Will wrote: Parents should learn to say NO sometimes.
Are you a parent?. when kids want something they make sure you know about it

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#97 Post by stelaras » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:14 pm

crawf

my point exactly.....and very very succint (or however you spell that word)....

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#98 Post by AtD » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:02 pm

So, about the corner of Rundle and Pultney...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#99 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:18 pm

is the view any good from the HJ's carpark?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#100 Post by Edgar » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:49 pm

AtD wrote:So, about the corner of Rundle and Pultney...
LOL, thanks for the headsup! :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#101 Post by AtD » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 am

crawf wrote:is the view any good from the HJ's carpark?
A chance to pimp my photos!

One I took before KPMG's new place was built, you can seen the crane for the Law Courts in the background:
CLICK ME!

Zoom!

This one's actually from above Target, but oh well

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#102 Post by crawf » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:07 am

nice photos, might have to check it out

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#103 Post by stelaras » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:42 am

GREAT PHOTOS.....

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#104 Post by Ho Really » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:33 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:I am not sure who owns City Cross...
City Cross is owned by Con Makris (Makris Group of Companies).

Cheers

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#105 Post by Will » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:38 pm

crawf wrote:
Will wrote: Parents should learn to say NO sometimes.
Are you a parent?. when kids want something they make sure you know about it
The high school student lecturing me about parenting!!!

Crawf, I'll ask you this; why can't the parents of today say no, when the parents of previous generations could say no. I hope that this is not a result of the new neo-quasi-pseudo intellectuals who promote that saying no to children ruins their confidence and self esteem. What a load of shit! I wish my parents had said no to me when I was young. I doubt not getting a happy meal would have ruined my self esteem. But I'll tell you what ruined my self esteem and confidence; being the fat kid at school. Being picked last all the time for sport, having comments made about my weight, and having to attend swimming lessons.

I have lost the weight, and now I'm thin and healthy, however I still believe that it is up to people to take control of their lives. I did and so can anyone.