[CAN] BHP Tower | $250m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] BHP Tower | $250m

#1 Post by Howie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:46 am

BHP plans office tower linked to Olympic Dam expansion
Michael Owen
March 09, 2012 12:00AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6294064371

BHP is planning an office tower in Adelaide linked with its expansion of the Olympic Dam mine. Source: AFP
BHP Billiton is looking at teaming with a major developer to build a new office tower in Adelaide ahead of the planned expansion of its Olympic Dam mine in the far north of South Australia.
It is understood BHP is in talks with several developers and construction companies about a new office tower that could be worth up to $250 million.
The high-rise development, potentially slated for Currie Street, in Adelaide's CBD, would provide the company with a significant visible presence as it launches a mammoth project with an estimated mine life of more than 100 years.
A BHP spokeswoman yesterday confirmed the company was considering its CBD office options in Adelaide.
"We established our uranium headquarters in Adelaide in 2009 when we created the Uranium Customer Sector Group," the spokeswoman said.
"Today, in Adelaide we are continuing to build the project team with around 700 people now in the Adelaide precinct, and numbers are expected to grow if the Olympic Dam project receives board approval later this year.
Advertisement

"This may require additional or new accommodation and a range of options are currently being considered."
South Australian Mining Minister Tom Koutsantonis, speaking from Toronto where he was attending a mining convention, said he understood there were discussions between major developers and BHP about a new $250m office tower in Currie Street, for which the company would have naming rights.
"I have heard there were discussions about that, but I've heard no final go-ahead for it," Mr Koutsantonis said.
"They will need to expand.
"We would support the (office) project, of course. We want a vibrant city."
Industry speculation about the frontrunner to team with BHP on a project has centered on Melbourne-based Grocon, the country's largest privately-owned construction company.
But its chief executive, Daniel Grollo, yesterday denied he was in talks with the miner.
"I wouldn't have thought anyone could be linking Grocon and BHP," Mr Grollo said yesterday.
"But we are still focused on South Australia because we think that SA and Adelaide are going to be a recipient of some mining investment that may, at some point, replicate what's happened both in WA and Queensland."
In January, it was reported that BHP was believed to be looking for up to 40,000sq m of extra office space in Brisbane as it considered consolidating operations in that city.
Mr Koutsantonis said he expected BHP's board to give final approval for the Olympic Dam expansion in July or August.
Located 600km north of Adelaide, Olympic Dam contains the world's largest known uranium deposit, fourth-largest copper deposit and fifth-largest gold deposit.

metro
Legendary Member!

[CAN] #VIS: BHP Tower - $250 million

#2 Post by metro » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:29 am

BHP certainly owe Adelaide a new tallest. Something standing obviously much taller than Westpac House, which has stood there dominating the skyline for ~22 years now. A well designed 150-200m tower would guarantee them their "significant visible presence", while at the same time dragging Adelaide's Skyline out of the dark ages.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 pm

It was only a matter of time before BHP started to think about expanding it's Adelaide offices. Currie Street really needs some new buildings. After all the development over the eastern, southern and western parts of the CBD it is now looking very tired in parts.

Currie Street would give BHP big exposure. Especially with the Adelaide Oval, riverbank developments occurring. Much more national TV coverage looking over the northern CBD skyline in years to come.

Could be perfect timing too with the increased height limits due soon. Fingers crossed we get a new tallest.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:14 pm

I will believe it,when I see it.

from what I've been told BHP ain't coming here.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Waewick wrote:I will believe it,when I see it.

from what I've been told BHP ain't coming here.
They are already here. They currently lease the brown ofice building at the corner of Grnefell and Gawler Place.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Could be the SA Govt required BHP to erect a new office tower as part of the overall ODX deal, and maintain naming rights atop the building. They may not altogether fill the building though.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Vee » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Wayno wrote:Could be the SA Govt required BHP to erect a new office tower as part of the overall ODX deal, and maintain naming rights atop the building. They may not altogether fill the building though.
Good theory.
This should be part of the deal - return to the state.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by dsriggs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 pm

A mine life of MORE THAN 100 YEARS.

Waewick

#9 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Yes BHP have a presence, but my understanding is that it won't get much bigger in Adelaide in the near future.

I was also told to expect spruiking of a new building over the next few months as the government ramps up it's drive to get public acceptance of the mine and drive a level of optimism from it.

just don't expect a building out of it.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:45 pm

I think it should be split. Btw fantastic news :)

skyliner

#11 Post by skyliner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:47 pm

crawf wrote:I think it should be split. Btw fantastic news :)
Fabulous news- ever more info seems to be pointing to the mine actually going ahead as well!!

Agree that with $250m it will be between 25 - 40 floors - still will be impressive as I could not see BHP just doing another 'box' if visibility is impt.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #VIS: BHP Tower - $250 million

#12 Post by Howie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 pm

By the way, apologies for the mix up on threads this morning. Lack of coffee and was in a rush to post that information as soon as i got an alert on it on my way to work. I'm glad some of you were awake :)

This certainly is not 62-66 currie street proposal.. i repeat not.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Hooligan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Howie do you have the source to this info? I'd like to post it on SSC.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Yep of course, i couldn't work out how to do it on the iphone this morning but here you go:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6294064371

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Hooligan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Cheers for that.

Code: Select all

Signature removed