[CAN] BHP Tower | $250m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ml69
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: #VIS: BHP Tower - $250 million

#16 Post by ml69 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:19 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Could be perfect timing too with the increased height limits due soon. Fingers crossed we get a new tallest.
The planets seem to be aligning on a landmark tower, with a strong possibility of a new tallest. In my opinion, this is our best chance for a new tallest for the next 10 years. If we don't get one out of BHP, I think Westpac House will still hold the mantle til at least 2020.

Think about it ... we've got a global company with deep pockets and a significant Adelaide presence (very rare) wanting to make a statement with a tower with naming rights. They're doing it in Perth with the 46 storey BHP Tower.

My hope is that it could be a mixed use tower with several floors of executive apartments on top of the office levels, that would set a new standard for apartment living in Adelaide. Imagine living in the top floors of the tallest building in Adelaide!

Also, the preference for large office floor plates these days makes a new tallest harder and harder to achieve. For example, a 30 storey office building is no longer about 30,000 sqm of office space; it's about 40 - 45,000+ sqm of space. Which is a huge amount of office space in the Adelaide market.

So assuming BHP are likely to seek a building with large floor plates (BHP Tower in Perth has 1500 sqm floor plates), I think it would require additional apartment levels on top of the office levels to
give us a new tallest.

My tip? Announcement of office tower at the same time when/if the BHP Board gives final approval to ODX (mid-year 2012). My two cents worth ...

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:56 pm

It's a lovely thought indeed, but I shall be upset if a fine-looking set of plans causes a rumpus in my trousers only to have them snatched away.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by AtD » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Premium space in Adelaide fetches around $4000 to $6000 per square metre, so for $250 million, we'd be looking at around 40,000 to 60,000 sqm. Frankly, massive.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by spiller » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm

what is the total space in westpac house?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Will » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 pm

spiller wrote:what is the total space in westpac house?
About 29 000 sqm2.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 am

City Central Tower 8 is costed at $200 million for 36,000 sqm of office/retail space. CCT8 has mega floorplates.

BHP seems interested in height for naming rights and I doubt the floor plates would be as large as CCT8. They could also push the height up if the ground level/podium levels were greater than a single storey each too.

Waewick

#22 Post by Waewick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 am

I gather given it is a vision thread, we don't need to make the arbitrary "it isn't going to happen" posts anymore?

because guys, this isn't going to happen :lol:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Waewick wrote:I gather given it is a vision thread, we don't need to make the arbitrary "it isn't going to happen" posts anymore?

Why are you so confident in such an assertion?

Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm

I think it could be a 75 level tower given that the below 31 level was $100m and was more expensive then most due to it's design :)

Wishful thinking I know
Howie wrote:Image
$100m `sculpture' for our skyline
April 15, 2007 12:15pm
Article from: Sunday Mail (SA)

ADELAIDE'S skyline has never seen anything like it – a radical new design that could replace Santos House as South Australia's iconic building.
The designers believe the $100 million futuristic office tower proposed for Currie St would put Adelaide on the international architectural stage.

Towering 123m (31 storeys) and spanning 40m across, the all-glass building would be one of Adelaide's biggest office developments.

Planned for the heart of the CBD, between Peel St and Gilbert Pl, it would feature 31,000 sq m of premium office space for up to 3000 workers.

Workers would travel to their offices in glass elevators visible from the outside and be able to swim in a 25m lap pool and enjoy a workout in a gymnasium. There would be 180 parking spaces and a ground-floor public cafe.

The southern side facing on to Currie St would feature a striking cantilevered facade that architects say would define the building's identity.

The existing Arturo Taverna building at 20-22 Currie St would be demolished. But the building would not surpass the 137m Santos House as the state's tallest building because of airspace height restrictions.

The project, designed by South Australian architects Tectvs, has been lodged with Adelaide City Council's planning department and will be referred to the Civil Aviation Authority for comment.

Public consultation is expected to start by the end of the month.

The proposal could be before the council's development assessment panel as early as July for approval.

Tectvs director Tony Giannone said his company and the property owner did not want another "stereotyped box" for the city.

"We wanted something a bit more sculptural, something that is of an international standard, a building that you can identify with the city more than what's been happening around town at the moment," said Mr Giannone, whose firm designed Air Apartments on Greenhill Rd.

"It's probably fair to say that a lot of buildings happening at the moment are a bit bland and don't contribute something to the city skyline. This will give back some dynamism and because it is across from Santos, it will complement the skyline. The other thing is this is being done locally – it is SA designed, we have got a South Australian who owns the land, who is confident in the state."

The land is owned by Lilly Nominees Pty Ltd, whose sole director is Derek John Blacker, of Torrens Park.

Mr Giannone said construction would only start once a key tenant was confirmed for the building.

He anticipated construction would take between two and three years.

Confidence in Adelaide's office market was underlined last year with a record $500 million worth of development applications lodged with Adelaide City Council.

The latest major application, announced on Friday, is for two buildings in Pirie St totalling almost 30,000sq m of office space.

Waewick

#25 Post by Waewick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Will wrote:
Waewick wrote:I gather given it is a vision thread, we don't need to make the arbitrary "it isn't going to happen" posts anymore?

comments from various sources.

the basic assertion is that it is a fluff piece to sell the Olympic dam development.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Just build it » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Waewick wrote:
Will wrote:

the basic assertion is that it is a fluff piece to sell the Olympic dam development.
Sell it to who? Aren't we all already sold?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Will » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Waewick wrote:
Will wrote:

I'm sorry mate, but that isn't very convincing.

The time for selling the Olympic Dam expansion ended years ago. It is going ahead reagrdless. They don't need to sell the development to us anymore.

Waewick

#28 Post by Waewick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm

to the general public they do.

Do you find it strange that it has been linked to a Victorian developer who has already denied any knowledge?

There is no agreement with the State to move offices here let alone build a $250M building.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong, and to be honest, roles reversed I would be telling you to stop being a party pooper

but I've been told enough (and perhaps I am cynical enough) and believe what I have been told to come to the conclusion that this ain't happening.

Olympic Dam may provide the State with a boom which results in the biggest building being built, but don't expect BHP to be bank rolling it.

skyliner

#29 Post by skyliner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:29 pm

We can't cast this aside yet - too much conflicting info - need more details to get a better idea.
I'm hoping this WILL eventuate at present.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#30 Post by rev » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 am

Waewick wrote:Yes BHP have a presence, but my understanding is that it won't get much bigger in Adelaide in the near future.

I was also told to expect spruiking of a new building over the next few months as the government ramps up it's drive to get public acceptance of the mine and drive a level of optimism from it.

just don't expect a building out of it.
Maybe instead of being a douche for the sake of it, you should actually read what BHP are saying...
"Today, in Adelaide we are continuing to build the project team with around 700 people now in the Adelaide precinct, and numbers are expected to grow if the Olympic Dam project receives board approval later this year.
Sorry to burst your bubble of negativity.

People should be confident more so with this vision, then other visions and even some proposals, for the simple fact that the worlds biggest mining company is behind it.
The chances of it happening therefore are increased.
And lets keep in mind also, that some previous visions and/or proposals did not eventuate because of global economic conditions.