[COM] Torrens Footbridge | $40m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: UC: Torrens Footbridge | $40m

#646 Post by pushbutton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:28 pm

I've never seen tarmac painted to look like pavers, but it certainly sounds tacky. What's wrong with actual pavers?

Also, I thought I'd read somewhere that the bridge itself was supposed to have some sort of water features, but I can't see any in those photos. Does anyone here know more about this?

sjc
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#647 Post by sjc » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Couple of shots I took this afternoon. Most of the scaffolding has been removed now.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393931745.400210.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393931745.400210.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 3246 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393931699.495930.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393931699.495930.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3246 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393931639.384450.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393931639.384450.jpg (886.53 KiB) Viewed 3246 times

sjc
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#648 Post by sjc » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 pm

pushbutton wrote:I've never seen tarmac painted to look like pavers, but it certainly sounds tacky. What's wrong with actual pavers?

Also, I thought I'd read somewhere that the bridge itself was supposed to have some sort of water features, but I can't see any in those photos. Does anyone here know more about this?
The water feature will come off the Northern end of the bridge where it loops back over the river

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#649 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm

Phantom wrote:
Nathan wrote:I don't mind it not being closed, but it should be clearer that it's a shared zone. I know there's some bumps either side which will slow traffic down, but the roadway should really be paved (ala the central road in Victoria Sq) so that it blends in better with the bridge and the plaza (instead of plain old bitumen) and it reinforces the use of the space. I'm really surprised they didn't to be honest.
How would you guys feel about seeing the bitumen around the area painted to look like pavers? Is that a good idea or tacky?
Not an entirely bad idea; something like the pavement art of Bank and George streets could work in the interim to more clearly identify the route. Though you'd want to hope it'd only be stop-gap on the way to a more ideal solution.

Bank Street:

George Street:
Keep Adelaide Weird

Matt
Legendary Member!

#650 Post by Matt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Nearmap have updated their maps to February 23, for anyone keen on some fresh aerials.

You can see a bit of the progress of the 'grand stairs' and water feature/landscaping on the city side of the river, as well as the paving of the bridge itself nearing completion.

Victoria Square looks a picture with the big top, etc, set up for Royal Croquet Club.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#651 Post by Phantom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 pm

pushbutton wrote:I've never seen tarmac painted to look like pavers, but it certainly sounds tacky. What's wrong with actual pavers?
In short? - Cost. If they're going to eventually pave the area, they may aswell leave it as it is at the moment, otherwise it could possibly affect the start of the AFL season. Also mate, Check out SRW's photos a few messages up. It shows Bank St with this painted tarmac thing going on. If done right, it can look alright. (Although I don't think it's the best colour for Bank St, but that's off topic) :P
SRW wrote:Not an entirely bad idea; something like the pavement art of Bank and George streets could work in the interim to more clearly identify the route. Though you'd want to hope it'd only be stop-gap on the way to a more ideal solution.
Definitely just as an interim fixture. I mean, this wouldn't take too much work to complete, but still. I wouldn't even mind seeing it like that for the whole AFL season. Then, after the weekend of the Preliminary Final (hopefully hosted at Adelaide Oval), then they could tear it up and quickly replace it before the international cricket season starts... Let's face facts, first class cricket will always struggle to pull a crowd, unless its a Sheffield Shield Final, One Day Cup Final or a Twenty20 fixture (All of which would most likely take place in late 2014, anyway)
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#652 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:09 pm

sjc wrote:

The water feature will come off the Northern end of the bridge where it loops back over the river
Workmen are installing pipes today for the waterfall.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#653 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:48 pm

There are two
There's obviously the waterfall on the Oval side, but also the cascading garden water feature thing that trickles down alongside the stairs on the Festival Theatre side.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#654 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Matt wrote:There are two
There's obviously the waterfall on the Oval side, but also the cascading garden water feature thing that trickles down alongside the stairs on the Festival Theatre side.
The Oval side waterfall was where they were installing pipes today. Not sure how the Festival Theatre water feature's progressing.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#655 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

On the latest Nearmap, it looked like they were readying to pour concrete for the stairs and had dug out the beginnings of the garden/water feature.
The images are a couple of weeks old now though, so they're probably more advanced than that now.

The tool to change the angle and direction of the shot is pretty cool - if you scroll over to the new RAH and view from the river, you can really see the angular, jutting form starting to take shape.
(I'd post a couple of screenshots myself, but at work and our browser is too prehistoric to handle anything other than really simple websites).

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#656 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:17 am

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#657 Post by HiTouch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 am

Man some of the photos uploaded are way too large. It's hell annoying.

Maybe I just need to build a bridge :wink:

Waewick

#658 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 pm

HiTouch wrote:Man some of the photos uploaded are way too large. It's hell annoying.

Sorry, i just upload to photobucket and share, I'm not skilled enough to do anything else.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#659 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Waewick wrote:
HiTouch wrote:Man some of the photos uploaded are way too large. It's hell annoying.

Sorry, i just upload to photobucket and share, I'm not skilled enough to do anything else.
Don't think HiTouch was referring to yours, Waewick. Yours is about the right size.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#660 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:08 pm

If anyone has access to the site's stylesheet, they could just add

Code: Select all

.post .content img {max-width: 100%; height: auto;}
All images will then scale down to fit within the post area, whatever size browser window you have.