[COM] 316-320 South Terrace | 51m | 14lvls | August Towers

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: 318 South Terrace | 8lvls | Hotel

#16 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 pm

anila1 wrote:
Maximus wrote:I've always thought this was a really nice corner of the city -- the Japanese gardens and hopefully-soon-to-be-beautiful Victoria Park nearby, as well as some very impressive turn-of-the-century homes in the streets running to the east off Hutt. Those renders show tables and umbrellas on the footpath, so I hope the frontage is appropriate to 'engage' fully with the street. It could encourage more restaurants and cafes towards the southern end of Hutt, and make the street more of a dining 'strip'.

If that southern facade is indeed glass, then it will have some great views of the parklands and hills. Perhaps it could be the beginning of few higher-rise buildings along South Tce, which currently doesn't really make best use of the aspect and location it enjoys. Would probably lead to greater use of the parklands, too.
Yes ,this is ( was ) a really nice corner of the city . Not only will this monstrosity have great views over the parklands but also into the backyards and rear of our picturesque single storey heritage cottages in Blackburn St , Gilles St & Louisa St . It will totally ruin the charm of this area and it is the worst example of integrating new design with heritage buildings I have seen for a long time .
Anita, I own a business in this area and park my car in Gilles Street, Blackburn Street and surrounding areas, and I have to say that the heritage houses and cottages on Gilles street toward the Hutt Street end would be considered slums in many cities around the World. They are run down buildings with a rusty appearance, most are unkempt and seem to be occupied by people without a lot of consideration for civic or personal pride. Walking past some of these places at 11am in the morning where unshirted people are drinking beer and smoking weed suggests that not even the Council or Government are serious about where these buildings belong in importance to heritage.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: 318 South Terrace | 8lvls | 26m | Hotel

#17 Post by jk1237 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:Anita, I own a business in this area and park my car in Gilles Street, Blackburn Street and surrounding areas, and I have to say that the heritage houses and cottages on Gilles street toward the Hutt Street end would be considered slums in many cities around the World. They are run down buildings with a rusty appearance, most are unkempt and seem to be occupied by people without a lot of consideration for civic or personal pride. Walking past some of these places at 11am in the morning where unshirted people are drinking beer and smoking weed suggests that not even the Council or Government are serious about where these buildings belong in importance to heritage.
that is complete nonsense, and heritage terrace homes in Newtown, Paddington, Surry Hills in Sydney, and Fitzroy, Collingwood in Melbourne,and inner areas of Toronto and Montreal and NYC and London also have parts that look down and out but are fantastic and safe areas. To call it slums is the most silliest thing I have ever read on here. Its called character, and we sure dont want our inner city looking like bland middle class box house suburbs of Morphett Vale or Ingle Farm or 90% of our suburbs over 5km from the the city.

If we take away Adelaide's character, we would have nothing.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 pm

jk1237 wrote:
wilkiebarkid wrote:Anita, I own a business in this area and park my car in Gilles Street, Blackburn Street and surrounding areas, and I have to say that the heritage houses and cottages on Gilles street toward the Hutt Street end would be considered slums in many cities around the World. They are run down buildings with a rusty appearance, most are unkempt and seem to be occupied by people without a lot of consideration for civic or personal pride. Walking past some of these places at 11am in the morning where unshirted people are drinking beer and smoking weed suggests that not even the Council or Government are serious about where these buildings belong in importance to heritage.
that is complete nonsense, and heritage terrace homes in Newtown, Paddington, Surry Hills in Sydney, and Fitzroy, Collingwood in Melbourne,and inner areas of Toronto and Montreal and NYC and London also have parts that look down and out but are fantastic and safe areas. To call it slums is the most silliest thing I have ever read on here. Its called character, and we sure dont want our inner city looking like bland middle class box house suburbs of Morphett Vale or Ingle Farm or 90% of our suburbs over 5km from the the city.

If we take away Adelaide's character, we would have nothing.
"Adelaide character"!!! I'll post some photos JK. By the way I've been to London several times and you can't be serious about comparisons beween the restored heritage inner city buildings of London and the garbage we call 'heritage' here.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by jk1237 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:"Adelaide character"!!! I'll post some photos JK. By the way I've been to London several times and you can't be serious about comparisons beween the restored heritage inner city buildings of London and the garbage we call 'heritage' here.
ok ok I think you must be trolling, caus Adelaide's blue and sandstone cottages and villas have one of the most distinct style of architecture in the world. We have a rustic, colonial, village style look and I love them. Modern architecture mixed in gives it such an interesting contrast too. Now I guess you're going to blame Mike Rann and his "spin" for having some slightly odd looking people in our city, caus no other city in the world has any oddballs, with shirts off and pot smoking and all :roll:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by monotonehell » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Hey guys can we keep this thread on topic, construction news only please.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Will » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
"Adelaide character"!!! I'll post some photos JK. By the way I've been to London several times and you can't be serious about comparisons beween the restored heritage inner city buildings of London and the garbage we call 'heritage' here.
That is really sad to read. Australia has amongst the best Victorian era architecture anywhere in the world. Fact. Just because we are not in London, does not mean what we have is any less significant.

The cultural cringe is alive and well.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#22 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 am

+1 Will

Heritage doesn't have to mean it is 1000 years old....

Nathan

#23 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:24 am

I don't think wilkiebarkid is criticising the Victorian architecture, but more that many of them are in varying states of disrepair. Whilst they *could* be nice, if they're falling apart amongst overgrown gardens, then they either need to be restored to a respectable state or go.

[Shuz]

#24 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 am

Interestingly, I am learning about heritage as part of my uni course in Urban Planning, and I think it seems that many people don't understand what heritage actually means.

Heritage is not necessarily something that is old. It is either a cultural or physic relic, valued by a past generation which bequeaths its legacy onto the next generation.

In this topic's context, the heritage which we have, in the houses of the city's South East quarter are of unique Victorian origin, rarely found elsewhere in the world, as JK and Will both pointed out. The current inhabitants of these residences, have simply made adapted their own culture to the use of these houses.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by wilkiebarkid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:36 am

Nathan wrote:I don't think wilkiebarkid is criticising the Victorian architecture, but more that many of them are in varying states of disrepair. Whilst they *could* be nice, if they're falling apart amongst overgrown gardens, then they either need to be restored to a respectable state or go.
Thanks Nathan. You are correct, I am not criticising any architectural style, just bemoaning 'heritage' buildings in such poor condition, which begs the question "Why keep them if they are not going to be restored to an original appearance?"

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Will » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:12 am

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Nathan wrote:I don't think wilkiebarkid is criticising the Victorian architecture, but more that many of them are in varying states of disrepair. Whilst they *could* be nice, if they're falling apart amongst overgrown gardens, then they either need to be restored to a respectable state or go.
Thanks Nathan. You are correct, I am not criticising any architectural style, just bemoaning 'heritage' buildings in such poor condition, which begs the question "Why keep them if they are not going to be restored to an original appearance?"
Something that is in a state of disrepair can be fixed. Something that is demolished cannot.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by baytram366 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:33 pm

As mentioned before, anything is better than what is there right now. It gets my blood boiling when gorgeous old mansions are hidden behind awful 1960's additions. Hopefully the new hotel will get not only the mansion in front back to its former glory but allow other similar older stone buildings to be done up around Adelaide. Remove the crusty surface and marvel at what lies underneath...
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: PRO: 318 South Terrace | 26m | 8lvls | Hotel

#28 Post by Will » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:25 pm

From AdelaideNow:

Interesting that this hotel will only be rated 2.5 stars.
$25m hotel plans for former TPI building on corner of South Tce and Hutt St

Tim Williams
City Messenger
October 30, 20121:45PM

Plans for a $25m, eight-storey hotel behind the former TPI Association building on South Tce. Picture: Supplied Source: adelaidenow

THE former TPI Association building on South Tce will be restored to its former glory as the lobby for an eight-storey, $25 million hotel overlooking the parklands.

The two-storey, 19th century mansion would house the hotel's lobby and meeting rooms on the ground floor and suites upstairs.

The 2.5 star, 117 room hotel behind the mansion would have a curved frontage facing the parklands and a restaurant offering outdoor dining on Hutt St.

Top level suites on the northern side would have balconies with views over Hutt St and the CBD.

JPE Design Studio has drawn up plans for the project for developer Adabco.

JPE director Adrian Evans said the hotel would suit business travellers and families on a budget.

"It's trying to be kept as well above backpacker but not an exclusive hotel," he said.

"There's no carparking so the idea is people catch taxis or buses or ride bikes into town."

Mr Evans expected to have approval from the Development Assessment Commission by the end of the year.

He said construction would take 12-15 months but he could not say how soon work would start.

JPE has a special connection to the site because the 1876 mansion was designed by the firm's founder Daniel Garlick, Mr Evans said.

"It turns out this lovely old mansion was one of our designs more than 100 years ago," he said.

"This is the first time in a long time we've worked on one of our older buildings."

The project would involve removing the modern addition to the front of the mansion and adding a shingled veranda.

Originally built for a Scottish wine and spirits merchant, the mansion was occupied by the Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Association, which provides support for veterans, from 1951 to 2009.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Vee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Agree, Will.
2.5 stars for a new build (plus restored original dwelling) seems inordinately low. Can anyone shed more light on this?

It is a fabulous park lands location, a grand old mansion (as lobby) which adds to the appeal, but 2.5 stars suggests relatively cheap digs and not very energy etc efficient. Am I mistaken?
Obviously, there is a market for budget business/holiday accommodation and it would also suit those backpackers whose tastes and budgets hanker for something better than offered by many backpacker places.

I'm glad that horrid extension at the front will go and the mansion behind will once again front the park lands. How amazing that the 1876 mansion was designed by the founder of the firm now charged with the plans for its restoration and development.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:47 am

The DAC are expected to approve this subject to conditions at Thursdays meeting.