[COM] North Terrace Streetscape Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #U/C : North Terrace Upgrade - Stage Two

#91 Post by Norman » Mon May 19, 2008 11:15 pm

I must go past this place sometime soon... looks awesome.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#92 Post by Will » Mon May 19, 2008 11:52 pm

This building will look magnificent if it is lit up at night.

The restoration is a triumph!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by crawf » Tue May 20, 2008 12:17 am

jk1237 wrote:Look whos been to the beauty parlour, and has finally had its mask taken off. Very nice :D

Phor, shes a stunner :D. Next on the makeover 'wish list' is the GPO :wink:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#94 Post by AtD » Tue May 20, 2008 7:46 am

No, leave them alone! Am I the only one who thinks the centuries of grit and grime on the facade of classical buildings adds character?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#95 Post by Shuz » Tue May 20, 2008 9:12 am

It's only characterised if its ancient. Like really ancient. These things were built like 200 years ago, and are still in use today. I think they're better off maintained.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#96 Post by rhino » Tue May 20, 2008 10:09 am

Shuz wrote:These things were built like 200 years ago, and are still in use today.
Wow! :shock: Where were they built originally?

Actually, we do have a 400-year-old house in Adelaide - Carrick Hill. The history of that place is fascinating.
cheers,
Rhino

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#97 Post by Shuz » Tue May 20, 2008 11:47 am

rhino wrote:
Shuz wrote:These things were built like 200 years ago, and are still in use today.
Wow! :shock: Where were they built originally?

Actually, we do have a 400-year-old house in Adelaide - Carrick Hill. The history of that place is fascinating.
SA was colonised in 1836! Its 2008... so thats arh.. math I can't do. Something like 200 years or close enough. How is there a 400-year old house here... unless I've completely missed a chapter in history?

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#98 Post by UrbanSG » Tue May 20, 2008 11:50 am

That restoration looks excellent. I agree that some weathering is good. However this one looks great restored. Very impressed. North Terrace looks ten times better these days compared to about 5 years ago thanks to all these restorations and the upgrades.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#99 Post by SRW » Tue May 20, 2008 1:01 pm

It looks beautiful! It stands out as so much more impressive and grand now.

There are a few buildings on Grenfell St I'd like to see get this sort of thorough treatment.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino

#100 Post by rhino » Tue May 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Shuz wrote: How is there a 400-year old house here... unless I've completely missed a chapter in history?
Edward Hayward and his wife, Ursula Barr-Smith, were on holiday in England when they rescued a grand 4-century old building (I think it's name was "Beaudesert") from demolition. They bought the building, had it dismantled, shipped to South Australia, and re-built on their property "Carrick Hill" at Springfield. The masonry, wall panelling, doors, windows, magnificent staircase, ballustrading, etc was all made 4 centuries ago in England. Consequently, it's probably the oldest house in Australia, predating the continent's discovery by nearly 200 years.
cheers,
Rhino

MaximumForce
Donating Member
Donating Member

#101 Post by MaximumForce » Tue May 20, 2008 8:30 pm

rhino wrote:
Shuz wrote: How is there a 400-year old house here... unless I've completely missed a chapter in history?
Edward Hayward and his wife, Ursula Barr-Smith, were on holiday in England when they rescued a grand 4-century old building (I think it's name was "Beaudesert") from demolition. They bought the building, had it dismantled, shipped to South Australia, and re-built on their property "Carrick Hill" at Springfield. The masonry, wall panelling, doors, windows, magnificent staircase, ballustrading, etc was all made 4 centuries ago in England. Consequently, it's probably the oldest house in Australia, predating the continent's discovery by nearly 200 years.
Seems only some furnishings and a staircase were brought back from England.
From Wikipedia:
  • The nearly 40-hectare property was the wedding gift of Ursula's father to the Haywards. After their marriage in 1935 the couple spent a year-long honeymoon in Europe. They bought many of the furnishings for their new home, including an imposing staircase, bought at the sale of Beaudesert House in Staffordshire, England. Construction of Carrick House began in 1937 and was completed in 1939.

rhino

#102 Post by rhino » Wed May 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Hmmm.... That's a little different from the story I got when I did a guided tour of the house.......
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#103 Post by rhino » Wed May 21, 2008 2:16 pm

From the Carrick Hill website http://carrickhill.sa.gov.au/history.html :

History

The beautiful Carrick Hill estate was the result of the marriage, in 1935, of members of two of Adelaide's most prominent families. Edward (Bill) Hayward was a son of the wealthy merchant family that for more than 100 years owned John Martin's Ltd, once Adelaide's greatest department store. His bride, Ursula Barr Smith, was a daughter of an even wealthier family of pastoralists.

Ursula's father gave the couple the land on which Carrick Hill now stands as a wedding present. During their year-long honeymoon they acquired much of the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth-century panelling, doors, staircases and windows from the demolition sale of Beaudesert, a Tudor mansion in Staffordshire, England.

A family friend, Adelaide architect, James Irwin, designed the house around these fittings, and while the overall appearance is of a seventeenth-century English manor house, it incorporates all 'the latest' in 1930's technology. Oak panelling and pewter light fittings happily blend with heated towel rails, ensuite bathrooms and intercom systems.
cheers,
Rhino

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#104 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:46 pm

From the Messenger:
North Tce upgrade at cross road

Chris Day

11Jun08

THE continued redevelopment of North Tce is on hold because of a lack of State Government funding in this month's State Budget.

The City Council had earmarked $6.8 million in its 2008/09 draft budget for new footpaths on North Tce, between King William St and Kintore Ave.

It had hoped the project would be jointly funded with the government but extra money was not forthcoming. Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said it was too early to say if the council would go it alone on the project and he would continue to lobby for government funding. Mr Harbison said he was "thrilled" with the overall State Budget, which included a $2 billion, 10-year plan to electrify the rail network, buy more buses and extend the tramline to the Entertainment Centre and AAMI Stadium.

Mr Harbison was unconcerned by a lack of government funding in the budget for a redevelopment of Victoria Square, saying the council was yet to come up with a new design. "It's early days (and) we wouldn't have expected to see any money (this year)."

The government's self-proclaimed public transport revolution did not include its previously mooted tram loop of the city's West End, but West End Association president Arna Eyers-White this week remained hopeful. "I certainly haven't given up on (the tram) coming round the West End to the (Central) Market," she said.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the Port Rd tram extension was given priority because it would provide a link to what he hoped would be a new housing development at Bowden's Clipsal site and a planned 800-bay park and ride station at the Entertainment Centre. He said a West End tram loop was "inevitable" but remained a "question of timing". He had "no doubt" the government would be involved in any redevelopment of Victoria Square, once the council finalised its plans. "It would be good if the council spent more time thinking about what they would like to do, instead of what they would like to stop," Mr Conlon said.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#105 Post by aussie2000 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:58 pm

Ben wrote:From the Messenger:
"It would be good if the council spent more time thinking about what they would like to do, instead of what they would like to stop," Mr Conlon said.
HAHA so true