[COM] North Terrace Streetscape Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Vee
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #U/C: North Terrace Streetscape Upgrade - Stage 3

#181 Post by Vee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:54 pm

SRW wrote: I don't understand why there's a garden bed isolating one side of the path from the other? The whole point of the North Terrace upgrade so far has been to improve north-south mobility. I know that that seems like a moot point when you come against a big stone wall (which should've gone, IMO), but I think it still matters, if for no other reason than that there's a disconnect from this 'scaled-down' design to the more considered design of the earlier stages.
Agree! Good to see this area revealed in time for the Festival and Fringe. I'm sure it will look even better when the plantings are finished but it does appear to be two pathways, artificially separated and disconnected, as you suggest.
I would also love to see the high stone wall removed/reduced in height or even replaced with see through railings. This would open up the view / vista across this very atttractive part of our city.
Glenside had its wall reduced in height a long time ago - what a difference this must have made as well as the symbolism!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#182 Post by crawf » Wed May 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Construction works have recommenced on Stage 3 of the North Terrace Upgrade, with quite a few workmen on site today.

I hope to god that the sliplane at the King William Street intersection is removed, it would have to be the most dangerous crossing for pedestrians. I'm surprised no one has been killed yet.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#183 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Looks great, taken today on the iPhone

metro
Legendary Member!

#184 Post by metro » Tue May 03, 2011 8:29 pm

i think work has resumed on this around the War Memorial

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#185 Post by Will » Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 pm

I wonder when (or if) they are going to do the southern stretch of North Terrace between Kintore Avenue and KWS?

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #U/C: North Terrace | Streetscape Upgrade Stage 2

#186 Post by fishinajar » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:00 pm

jk1237 wrote: Image

Does anyone know why they have just cut this tree down? They worked around it for so long. Seems a bit of a shame. In with some mature london planes i guess?
kudos for photos to jk1237

metro
Legendary Member!

#187 Post by metro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:01 am

i reckon i see one being chopped down nearly every 6 months :shock: like some that were planted back in 2004 that were just starting to get to a decent size then got cut down and replaced with tiny ones again. so can we assume that the significant trees in front of the state library, the museum, art gallery and Adelaide Uni will be getting cut down soon?

i'm not usually a tree hugger, but why is it ok for the ACC to cut down significant trees like this, yet if the state government wants to do it it's Mike Rann is evil and how dare the he destroy our heritage. :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#188 Post by crawf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:21 am

Wish the trees out of the front of Parliament House got the chop, they ruin the appearance of the building

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#189 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:34 am

metro wrote: i'm not usually a tree hugger, but why is it ok for the ACC to cut down significant trees like this, yet if the state government wants to do it it's Mike Rann is evil and how dare the he destroy our heritage. :roll:
Well, for one, they wouldn't be considered significant trees under law. And secondly, I don't really believe the ACC goes about cutting down trees willy-nilly -- I suspect they have their reasons, probably related to tree health/safety or some such. Could always just ask David in the ACC thread, I suppose.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#190 Post by Will » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:59 pm

crawf wrote:Wish the trees out of the front of Parliament House got the chop, they ruin the appearance of the building
Completely agree.

The trees out the front of Edmund Wright House on KWS should also get the chop.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#191 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 am

dang!

From City Messenger online:
Thieves disguised as workmen have stolen 28 bronze plates from wooden benches on North Tce.

Over the past six weeks, thieves have jemmied the plates off jarrah benches between King William Rd and Frome Rd during the night, causing $80,000 damage.

The City Council and police are calling on anyone who has information to call BankSA Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or go to http://www.sa.crimestoppers.com.au
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#192 Post by rogue » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Thieves disguised as workmen have stolen 28 bronze plates from wooden benches on North Tce.

Over the past six weeks, thieves have jemmied the plates off jarrah benches between King William Rd and Frome Rd during the night, causing $80,000 damage.

The City Council and police are calling on anyone who has information to call BankSA Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or go to http://www.sa.crimestoppers.com.au
Since there is work happening there now, but the thieves could actually be the workers... :roll:

metro
Legendary Member!

#193 Post by metro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 pm

that explains a few things, and were these "workers" the same ones who stole the seats in front of the Library?

also isnt there CCTV on North Terrace??

Cant believe that it has taken the city council this long to notice, it has been like that for months. :shock:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#194 Post by Ben » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:38 pm

Maybe they are stealing the trees too... didn't someone say they keep getting replaced...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#195 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Ben wrote:Maybe they are stealing the trees too... didn't someone say they keep getting replaced...
I have personally seen, on at least two separate occasions, drunken louts and vandals breaking the juvenile trees along the Prince Henry Garden. With those disgusting people in no short supply, it's no wonder they keep having to be replaced.
Keep Adelaide Weird