[COM] North Terrace Streetscape Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #U/C : North Terrace Upgrade - Stage Two

#31 Post by AtD » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:44 pm

JAKJ: This will make your blood boil. They knocked down the Royal Adelaide Exhibition Hall for the Ligertwood building and carpark. :evil:
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ?f=6&t=147

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by JAKJ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:00 pm

Yes.... I know all about the exhibition building being demolished ... I try not to think about it :cry:

But what is done is done, unfortunately the chances of the uni ceeding land or the governemnt forking out 100s of millions to build a public building are next to none, so we will have to live with the ligertwood et al. But at least they could redo the plaza to make it more bareable, it is a great space...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:14 pm

Will wrote:Yes.... I know all about the exhibition building being demolished ... I try not to think about it :cry:

But what is done is done, unfortunately the chances of the uni ceeding land or the governemnt forking out 100s of millions to build a public building are next to none, so we will have to live with the ligertwood et al. But at least they could redo the plaza to make it more bareable, it is a great space...
I can see that shitful building "Napier' being demolished in the not to distance future. And I reacon I could see the government helping out cause they just allocated money towards the new $100m 8-level building in the Adelaide University.

But for now I agree that plaza should be redeveloped, its going to ruin that part of that redevelopment once its complete.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Mants » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:19 pm

crawf wrote:I can see that shitful building "Napier' being demolished in the not to distance future. And I reacon I could see the government helping out cause they just allocated money towards the new $100m 8-level building in the Adelaide University.
i doubt it, hasnt the interior been completely renovated just recently? its actually really nice (in the bits ive been into)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AG » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Mants wrote: i doubt it, hasnt the interior been completely renovated just recently? its actually really nice (in the bits ive been into)
Yep, the building recently got renovated and the lecture theatres are some of the best currently on the Uni campus. Napier won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:48 pm

AG wrote:
Mants wrote: i doubt it, hasnt the interior been completely renovated just recently? its actually really nice (in the bits ive been into)
Yep, the building recently got renovated and the lecture theatres are some of the best currently on the Uni campus. Napier won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Well they should at least do something with facade and plaza

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by Will » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:52 am

crawf wrote:
AG wrote:
Well they should at least do something with facade and plaza
Although I agree that the building is ugly, don't be surprised if it is heritage listed in the future.

The building is from 1959, and is included in the list of notable buildings of the 20th century, compiled by the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Diamond » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:10 pm

AG wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I remember only Lower Napier was renovated in 2005 and Napier (upper) remained as is. Mind you, since transferring from Adelaide Uni in 2005 I haven't stepped foot in either of the Napier buildings for nearly 2 years, so they may have renovated 'upper' Napier also.
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:18 am

The upper floors got a bit of work, but nothing too drastic.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by Mants » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:05 pm

i have noticed scaffolding on the big red brick building on the corner of frome road and north terrace. what is happening there? just a clean up or what?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Will » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:19 pm

Mants wrote:i have noticed scaffolding on the big red brick building on the corner of frome road and north terrace. what is happening there? just a clean up or what?
Yeah its a restoration and clean-up. Have a look at the building's facade, specially the stone; it's very dirty. Stone which was beige when the building was opened is now black.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Here is an initial concept for Stage 3 of the North Terrace upgrade. Essentially a continuation of the work further east. Much wider footpaths near the station will be a huge help. That area gets really crowded around peak times for pedestrians. Not sure when this one will start , maybe a year or so according to ACC budget documents. Can't reveal my source for this concept, it's a government department job.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by Pistol » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Nice work Urban. Is this upgrade going to coincide with SkyCity's proposed upgrade of Station Street? A vast improvement on what we currently have.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#44 Post by Shuz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:11 pm

It looks much nicer, will create a bit of disruption at first - but will deliver a stunning result in the end. The light poles they have used on the east end will fit well with the tramline poles. Hope they do this end much quicker than the other.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Howie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:24 pm

Very nice work Urban, I love the street level paving.