[COM] North Terrace Streetscape Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#16 Post by Algernon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am

What really impresses me with this development is how it impacts traffic flow on North Terrace. On this basis I hope completion is delayed.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#17 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:54 am

One thing that's always peeved me is the light sequence on the corner of North and Pultney. I made this animation from memory. The timing is, of course, wrong. Big arrows represent green lights for traffic, dotted arrows are turning without an arrow and the small arrows are the pedestrian lights.

What annoys me about this intersection is it could very easily be converted into a corner that allows diagonal pedestrians crossing, like the corner of Pultney and Rundle to the south. Not only could this be done without restricting the flow of traffic, it would also improve traffic flows while making the intersection safer for pedestrians.

Note in the above animation, there is a phase where pedestrians are crossing north-south on both sides of Pultney Street. There are also two instances of traffic without arrows turning across green pedestrian cycles.

Here's what I propose:

The north-south pedestrian cycle is replaced with an anywhere-anywhere pedestrian cycle. Thus, there can be more green arrow time and no conflicts between turning traffic and pedestrians. Access and safety is improved for both vehicles and pedestrians.

A simple solution.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#18 Post by Howie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:57 am

I'd have to agree entirely with you there. That makes alot more sense.

I use that intersection every day as a pedestrian and as a motorist, and the lights just don't seem to make sense.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#19 Post by Edgar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:20 pm

The right turn into Pultney St is the worse, it last for an average of 10 seconds, which is never enough, considering the buses uses them as well.

Often causing congestions on the right lane due to cars queing to turn right into Pultney St.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#20 Post by Howie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:25 pm

Another shot from lunchtime today.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#21 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:28 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:The right turn into Pultney St is the worse, it last for an average of 10 seconds, which is never enough, considering the buses uses them as well.

Often causing congestions on the right lane due to cars queing to turn right into Pultney St.
Perhaps there could be no right turns in afternoon peak, with busses excepted. Although that would cause more people to turn right on Frome or King William.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#22 Post by Edgar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:58 pm

AtD wrote:
edgar_raphael wrote:The right turn into Pultney St is the worse, it last for an average of 10 seconds, which is never enough, considering the buses uses them as well.

Perhaps there could be no right turns in afternoon peak, with busses excepted. Although that would cause more people to turn right on Frome or King William.
That will not help, and you had already answer that for yourself, it will cause more loads at King William and Frome intersections which will further affects the now not-affected areas outside of North Terrace.

I still think the best solution is to re-arrange lights management so that traffics and turn right and go straight at the same time for a period before stopping the right turn and make way for the opposite to flow then.

Instead of allowing only 4 cars to pass each time, with the presence of the bus, only one bus and 2 cars can pass at a time. Sometimes I caught 2 bus turning at once, voided my chance at all.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#23 Post by Howie » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:12 pm

From today guys..

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#24 Post by Will » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks for the images Howie, good to see some progress down at North Terrace.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#25 Post by AtD » Mon May 14, 2007 10:52 am

I noticed this morning that the new street lights have been delivered, which implies the power lines will be coming down in the not too distant future.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #U/C : North Terrace Upgrade - Stage Two

#26 Post by Howie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:39 pm

A little panorama taken just then.
s2_panorama.jpg
s2_panorama.jpg (217.29 KiB) Viewed 4098 times

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by rogue » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Nice work Howie.

The new light poles have started to go up on the southern side of North Terrace.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Excellent work catching the ghost of that worker in your photo Howie! 8)
cheers,
Rhino

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by AG » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Those light poles have been up on the south side for a few weeks now. They were originally being stored on the north side.

One thing I find curious is that one of the new traffic signals they originally put up on the Uni SA corner at Frome Road that they only put up about a year ago has been removed and reshifted to a new location on the Church of Scientology corner. One wonders why they didn't put it there in the first place since they knew roadworks were going to affect the Uni SA corner.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by JAKJ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:27 pm

God the ligertwood and carpark plaza are ugly, and totally ruin that end of North Terrace, they honestly could not have done worse, I am strugling to think of a worse structure they could have put there because really I can't.... THe ligertwood needs to be reclad (desparately) - but that won't happen and the plaza must be completely redone (art sculture, resurfacing WHATEVER!!! - it can't get worse) to redeem that space.