News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2191 Post by Will » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Dvious wrote:
We did not need such widespread relaxation of height limits, the dumping of proven quantitative measures and such a generous gift to the ‘here today, gone tomorrow’ developers as has been bestowed by catalyst sites. We neither need nor want developments of the scale of Sturt St and Claxton St. If these are the results of the Design Review Process and deliberations of the Development Assessment process the future of the city is indeed bleak.
The only bleak thing would have been to continue to allow the ACC to keep treating the CBD like a small quaint village.

As one of the older people in charge of our city, does it not concern you to see your children and grandchildren leaving our city to move interstate and overseas?

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2192 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:58 pm

With all due respect David,

But what do you think a CBD of a capital city should look like?

This is the 21st Century and as such we should moving with the times. For those residents in the city who feel that development is encroaching on their lifestyle, maybe a move to the suburbs is more to their taste. I'm sick of having my city and state held back due to the minority voices of these residents who feel entitled to a way of life that is no longer fitting for a major capital city in 2012.

Taking away the council's power to approve development was one of the best decisions the State Government did as well as increasing height limits within the city. Urban sprawl is a massive issue for Adelaide so the logical move of being able to build UP in the CBD can only be championed.

Sure, I don't want to rubber stamp every development and due process is still required with developments, but the ACC has shown its hand on many occasions and the people of South Australia are sick of their negative, backwards attitudes towards a progressive vision for our city.

You are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate your consultation and communication via different mediums such as this forum as well as enjoy reading your newsletters when released.

With all the being said, there are many initiatives that the ACC should be commended for and I acknowledge those as well (such as Splash Adelaide, encouraging food trucks, laneway revitalisation etc.)

Here's hoping SA and Adelaide can move forward. I'm hopeful.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#2193 Post by Maximus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:21 pm

I think it's worthwhile adding that no one here is advocating for a square mile full of 50-storey skyscrapers (I don't believe!). We do need to preserve our heritage, and various forum members have posted pictures of some truly beautiful CBD buildings that have been lost over the decades in the name of 'progress' (particularly during the 70s, I understand). However, it's not appropriate for the CBD of a major city of over one million people to aspire towards being some sort of quaint village where any major development is considered evil. The city will prosper with more residents, so long as those residents are accommodated through development that is both sensitive and progressive, with each development assessed on its individual merits.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2194 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:09 pm

As always an interesting discussion.

If the goal is to activate & energise the city then does height matter? or is it simply how you use the space? I know many S-A folk want a few more tall (and a couple new tallest) buildings, and i also think the skyline would benefit, but that's mostly bling. We know what really matters - right? active street frontages, revitalised laneway, events such as splash adelaide, TDU, hole in the wall bars (like this new one), etc. That's where the fun is at - and that's what we need to help keep youngsters in Adelaide and attract the tourists (ok, well more white collar jobs would also help). I also love the idea of 10+ storey's facing the parklands - perfect. I suppose the point i'm making is it's all about location & height, not just height.

One of the sexiest square mile streets, in my opinion, is Halifax St running between KWS & Pulteney. It's a mix of modern 3 to 5 storey townhouses & apartments with street facing balconies, heaps of greenery, and several options to eat & drink outside. All co-existing neatly with heritage buildings. I'd LOVE if this was the template for other resi streets. If i'm in my car and in the city i'll typically drive down this street, whether i need to or not, just for the vibe :-).

Click on this google map link, go for a 360 degree ride, and duck down the side street alongside The Greek. What a great place to live. Imagine if the Slatters Shoes red brick building (diagonally opposite The Greek) was converted to warehouse style living. fantastic.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

thoughtfactory
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2195 Post by thoughtfactory » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Has the legislation to create small bar licences gone through state parliament yet? Or has in bear barn lobby been able to block it?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2196 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Wayno wrote:As always an interesting discussion.

If the goal is to activate & energise the city then does height matter? or is it simply how you use the space? I know many S-A folk want a few more tall (and a couple new tallest) buildings, and i also think the skyline would benefit, but that's mostly bling. We know what really matters - right? active street frontages, revitalised laneway, events such as splash adelaide, TDU, hole in the wall bars (like this new one), etc. That's where the fun is at - and that's what we need to help keep youngsters in Adelaide and attract the tourists (ok, well more white collar jobs would also help). I also love the idea of 10+ storey's facing the parklands - perfect. I suppose the point i'm making is it's all about location & height, not just height.
Most of these new businesses that are popping up over the city wont survive unless there is more people living in the city. This is why it's vital that both state and local governments encourage more development in the Adelaide CBD, eg taller buildings. Some areas are perfect for 5-10 stories, but there are others that need to be at least 20 levels or higher. For example the entire CBD core.

People say the look of the city skyline isn't important, but the truth is the city skyline is the face of Adelaide and even South Australia. The importance gets even greater when a person searches for a city online, the skyline is usually the first to come up. And as we all know Adelaide's skyline has hardly changed over the last two decades, which gives people the impression that we are in decline or we are just a big country town.

Developments like 123 Flinders, Sturt Street and future projects will modernise the city skyline and give it more definition. Aswell as bringing more people to live, work and visit the city centre which will equal to more cafes and bars.

One of the sexiest square mile streets, in my opinion, is Halifax St running between KWS & Pulteney. It's a mix of modern 3 to 5 storey townhouses & apartments with street facing balconies, heaps of greenery, and several options to eat & drink outside. All co-existing neatly with heritage buildings. I'd LOVE if this was the template for other resi streets. If i'm in my car and in the city i'll typically drive down this street, whether i need to or not, just for the vibe :-).

Click on this 932773,138.603591&spn=0.00566,0.008256&sll=-32.010396,135.119128&sspn=116.257105,270.527344&t=h&hnear=Halifax+St,+Adelaide+South+Australia+5000&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-34.932795,138.603198&panoid=82aQpTneVYLIbXiWl6Y2uQ&cbp=12,225.59,,0,8.54]google map link, go for a 360 degree ride, and duck down the side street alongside The Greek. What a great place to live. Imagine if the Slatters Shoes red brick building (diagonally opposite The Greek) was converted to warehouse style living. fantastic.
Halifax Street looks nice, but those two storey townhouses should have never been built. They belong in the suburbs.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2197 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm

crawf wrote:Most of these new businesses that are popping up over the city wont survive unless there is more people living in the city.
Hey Crawf, that's a generic statement, appears you are guessing. What are the facts? Just how many people are required to support these businesses that are popping up, and how many businesses (of different types) are needed to support them? what's the critical mass of people required for the city to be a success, and are we better off spreading them across the CBD in lower rise or clustering in a few high rise? i'm yet to observe much conversation in this respect - just excitement about tall proposals. There's also a BIG outstanding question - will the high rise complexes actually sell? in most cases i'm yet to see strong enough evidence, but very happy to be proven wrong.

Oh, and if a business fails was it due to a lack of customers, poor marketing, bad management, bad feng shui, bad breath, bad hair, people not interested in what's on offer, or other? Lots of factors can be at play.

PS. i like the 123 Flinders proposal and hope it gets off the ground, so to speak. Sturt St (New Mayfield) i'm not sure about - will it sell? Also phased/staged development like that scares me as it may *look* incomplete for years. Balfours site comes to mind.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2198 Post by Waewick » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I do notice that the smal 3-4 level apartment blocks seems to be selling as well as the 3 level townhouses.

as Wayno said, I'm yet to see market acceptance of tall apartment blocks (I blame a certain developer for destroying a fragile market)

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#2199 Post by Maximus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 am

Meanwhile, in news that we'll probably all agree is positive...
Adelaide City Council app snaps trigger action
Tim Williams and Clare Peddie
The Advertiser
December 12, 201210:00PM

MORE than 500 problems such as cracked footpaths and graffiti attacks have been fixed after being reported to Adelaide City Council through a mobile phone app.

More than 700 people have downloaded the free Adelaide Report It app, which launched eight months ago, and have made 783 reports.

The most frequently reported problems are hazardous footpaths, graffiti and dirty streets.

Users of the app take photos of maintenance problems which are sent directly to the council's customer service centre.

continues...
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2200 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Crawf wrote:People say the look of the city skyline isn't important, but the truth is the city skyline is the face of Adelaide and even South Australia. The importance gets even greater when a person searches for a city online, the skyline is usually the first to come up. And as we all know Adelaide's skyline has hardly changed over the last two decades, which gives people the impression that we are in decline or we are just a big country town.
I have been saying this for years - I have been speaking with many people here in the east and this is just what they think - constantly - and the attitude spreads. It is image and first impressions - just like when a buying house when considering street presence and what arrests your attention.
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2201 Post by Wayno » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:11 am

yep agree skyline is important for reasons stated above - just asking folk to imagine an alternative square-mile residential approach, not dissimilar to the central residential areas in many European cities, where high rise is taboo. There, as here, the most important aspect is density & street level activation.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that govt intervention was quite widespread in Europe from the perspective of rebuilding urban landscapes, even into the early 20th century. Paris is an absolute classic (ref: Haussmann's renovatio of Paris) where 1000s were displaced to create what the whole world loves today, and it was done not that long ago. Sometimes disruption is required to create the new normal.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2202 Post by omada » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 am

Wayno as usual you are the voice of reason. It's easy to get caught up in the obsession over another 100+ metre "skyscraper". And, why yes whilst we do need to build up, you are right, it is more important for Adelaide to become a friendly European style city, full of piazza's , laneways, people, bikes and good places to eat and drink.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2203 Post by Will » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

omada wrote:Wayno as usual you are the voice of reason. It's easy to get caught up in the obsession over another 100+ metre "skyscraper". And, why yes whilst we do need to build up, you are right, it is more important for Adelaide to become a friendly European style city, full of piazza's , laneways, people, bikes and good places to eat and drink.
I agree with what you said, however tall buildings play a role in such a transformation.

Growing the CBD population to such a degree (or to the critical mass) that allows 24 hour vitality will be facilitated by the new height restrictions.

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#2204 Post by Reb-L » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Seems to me that people are talking about different things in this skyline discussion. Some of the comments appear to be about what environment some people prefer (e.g. The European model low rise with streets full of cafe's and bicycles) while other are about the impression you get of a city when you get there (be it from the airport or Google Earth). Myself I think that cities with 'grown up' skylines (e.g. Brisbane or Singapore) reflect more energy and attract more investment than a more lowrise city (like Copenhagen or Rome for example) no matter how cosy or interesting it may be.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2205 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 am

Adelaide CBD Smart Card
Smart card lures shoppers to Adelaide

AN Australian-first smart card being planned for Adelaide's central business district would offer discounted shopping and cheap parking to lure people back to the city and combat the rise of online trading.

Adelaide City Council is developing the card, which would be available to anyone visiting the city and be swiped for instant, cashless payments at council-owned UParks, off-street parking and participating city shops.

It would also be used to borrow library books and provide discounts for council-owned services such as the Adelaide Aquatic Centre and North Adelaide Golf Links.

Residents and city businesses would be eligible for additional benefits.

The council will work with the Rundle Mall Management Authority to get city retailers on board and hopes to trial the system next financial year.

Once connected to smartphone applications, the system would also provide users with alerts about city festivals and other events, and council services.

The proposal would be a first for an Australian capital city CBD, but is being modelled on a similar system that has been successfully tried in Parramatta, in Sydney's outer western suburbs.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said the system would tailor cards to individual preferences, enticing more people to the city and boosting business for traders.

"It's very much about understanding what people want and how they use the city," he said.

"The opportunities are expansive so we can have a one-stop-shop card for experiencing the city."

Councillor Anne Moran said the smart card would give city retailers an edge over suburban competitors and help fight back against the increasing popularity of online shopping, as well as making carparking more convenient.

"I'm very happy with the loyalty card aspect of it," Ms Moran said.

"You need to get people off their computers and in having a look at the shops in the city.

"Anything that makes that trip into town easier and more pleasant would be great."

Rundle Mall Management Authority chief executive officer Ian Darbyshire said the smart card system was "an excellent idea".

"We would love to talk to (the council) and see what Rundle Mall could do with loyalty cards and access cards," he said.

"It's got to come in the future that there's a smart card that combines all your store cards."

Councillors have voted to pursue the project and backed Ms Moran's push to ensure city residents and business ratepayers would receive extra benefits.

The smartcard would replace the existing Adelaide Rewards card, which offers residents entry and membership discounts to council-operated services.

Since 2005 the council has issued more than 1500 of those cards.

A council report says smart card technology would "transform the Adelaide Rewards card from a resident reward program to a wider city user card".

"The potential uses of the card are widespread and could include such things as UParks, on-street ticket machines, small businesses, Central Market stalls, Rundle Mall retailers (and) city hotels," the report says.

"(Smart cards) allow providers to track usage and provide incentives to repeat customers, and customers to customise preferences, sign up to loyalty programs and manage and control expenditure."

The report points to the example of Parramatta City Council, which has trialled its Parrasync smart card with 400 staff, allowing them to access loyalty programs at some shops, carparks and libraries. Hundreds of businesses and thousands of residents have registered interest in joining Parrasync.