News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will409
Legendary Member!

Re: ACC Stripped of Powers!

#451 Post by Will409 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:33 pm

This must be a sign, the vast majority of the comments on AdelaideNow are positive about this. None the less, I am sitting with confidence that we shall see some real action soon.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#452 Post by Paulns » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:34 pm

Maybe this will send a strong message to the So called panel that the interests of the state of South Australia are bigger and more important than the council!!!!

Now please can we see some taller buildings???!!!!!!!!!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#453 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:44 pm

JamesXander wrote:I say cut all the counsellors pay by 25% too because they wont doing as much. And Harbos pay should be halved he gets paid WAYYYY to much.
The problem with that is the only people you get running for council are pensioners. No one else can afford the time!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#454 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Wow... I don't know what to say... this was completely unexpected for everyone.

But why is Patty C talking, instead of the planning minister?

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

Re: News from the ACC

#455 Post by Just build it » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Do we know who has ultimate control though? Maybe the Lord Mayor seemed unfussed because he knows the ACC still have final say, or maybe he's happy the Government will be allowing development the ACC may like to approve but never actually would in fear of local voter backlash. Interesting times ahead!

nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

#456 Post by nimeton » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Norman wrote:Wow... I don't know what to say... this was completely unexpected for everyone.

But why is Patty C talking, instead of the planning minister?
Because for some bizarre reason I think it falls under Conlon's portfolio rather than Holloway's... I think its something to do with the Land Management Corporation which is under Conlon.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#457 Post by Brando » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:30 pm

This is great news for the city of Adelaide.

I just hope that J-Lo will not have any part in the new decision making process! :shock:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#458 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:35 pm

I thought J.Lo rolled with Labor?
I've noticed a few comments which seemed to be anti-J.Lo around the boards, and I feel like I'm missing out on something?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#459 Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Shuz wrote:I thought J.Lo rolled with Labor?
I've noticed a few comments which seemed to be anti-J.Lo around the boards, and I feel like I'm missing out on something?
she is very pro-parklands

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#460 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Paul Holoway must be away, Pat Conlon is acting minister.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#461 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:I thought J.Lo rolled with Labor?
she is very pro-parklands
What a conflict of interests.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#462 Post by rev » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:30 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about the prospect of new talls higher then Westpac. I think the only real effect this will have is more construction then anything else, and if that.
Although I'm not happy that they have left the sub $10million projects still in the councils hands. They should have gone all the way, and stripped the council of every ability bar collecting garbage.

I don't think Lomax Smith is all that pro-parklands, I think it has more to do with the fact of who is in her electorate, and the need to pander to certain people/groups, in order to be re-elected.
And even if she was fully pro-parklands, as long as she kept it out of her work, I don't see how it would be a conflict of interest. Politicians are allowed personal opinions.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#463 Post by Will » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 pm

First it was the announcement for the electrification of the train system then it was the announcement for the TOD's and now this. Despite having their faults like any other government, these series of decisions show a welcome and exciting change in the mentallity of those in charge. No-longer will Adelaide be held back by nostalgic minorities. These decisions show that Adelaide and SA are now places where things get done instead of the old SA where things got talked about.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#464 Post by BenJ » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:00 pm

I too think this is a positive move as long as the new people in charge think that design and quality of architecture is important. For all the council bashing going on, I'm interested to know what Clr Yarwood thinks about this as someone who has readily engaged with our forum in a very constructive and dare I say it progressive manner.

Over to you Clr Yarwood...

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#465 Post by muzzamo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 pm

If only this had occurred 5+ years ago... To me due to global economic conditions mean that it may be a few more years yet until the next commercial property boom in Adelaide. But when that does happen, bring it on.