News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: [] News: Adelaide City Council

#946 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 am

Ben wrote: Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said he had become “concerned” about the panel’s behaviour in recent months. “If they’re going to be rude about people, I’d rather they do so behind closed doors, but I struggle with the logic that our panel should be secret because the DAC is secret,” he said. “I’d prefer they conducted their proceedings in a manner that’s open to public scrutiny and that they behave themselves with probity and decorum.”
I'd have to agree with that.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#947 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:34 pm

The project’s developer, Theo Maras, described this week’s events as a “joke”.

“It just goes to show the appalling attitude that’s coming from the Adelaide City Council towards any development,” he said.
No, Theo, the ACC rejected your building because it was hideous. I think it's the only rejection in the history of this forum to not have a single disagreeing post. Your development is not a good example to hold up as evidence that the ACC is anti-development!

nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

#948 Post by nimeton » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Anyone catch this on Ten News tonight?

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

Pulteney Grammar plan to demolish Morgan Building
Article from: Font size:DecreaseIncreaseEmail article:EmailPrint article:PrintSubmit comment:Submit comment
TIM LLOYD
July 03, 2009 12:01am
THE Federal Government's stimulus package for new school buildings may lead to the demolition of an historic mansion on South Tce.

Pulteney Grammar School's Morgan Building is a landmark South Tce bluestone mansion.

The school has funding for a two-storey building on the site.

The school's plan to demolish the building has horrified some parents and friends as well as heritage groups.

The Morgan Building is one of 10 places included in the SA National Trust's Heritage @ Risk @ 2009 list, released this week.

The Morgan house is not heritage listed, but as one of the last mansions on South Tce, it was recommended for conservation in Adelaide's Townscape List in 1992.

Under the Federal Government scheme for new buildings, the school did not have to obtain Adelaide City Council permission for demolition.

However, councillor Sandy Wilkinson, a parent at the school, on Monday night moved for the council to write to Pulteney's board, imploring it not to proceed with the demolition.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#949 Post by Brando » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm

AtD wrote:
The project’s developer, Theo Maras, described this week’s events as a “joke”.

“It just goes to show the appalling attitude that’s coming from the Adelaide City Council towards any development,” he said.
No, Theo, the ACC rejected your building because it was hideous. I think it's the only rejection in the history of this forum to not have a single disagreeing post. Your development is not a good example to hold up as evidence that the ACC is anti-development!
Exactly mate, i would think we on this forum mount a challenge as some of the harshest critics of the ACC, but in this case the council got it right.

The proposal looked shocking. Adelaide deserves better, we're moving in the right direction...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#950 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Anyone catch this on Ten News tonight?

Pulteney Grammar plan to demolish Morgan Building
Here it is:

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#951 Post by Professor » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:03 pm

It's too late for that lovely bluestone to survive. The building is being repalced by a two storey steel and glass structure for teaching etc. I undestand that many of the parents did not know about it until quite recently and that there are no permissions required to demolish. The demolition started this week. Quickly and quetly.

I have to say that, if this building was mentioned for heritage listing in 1992, that about sums up the problem. That was 17 years ago!

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#952 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Wow, I thought Sandy Wilkinson was female :oops:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#953 Post by Will » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:Wow, I thought Sandy Wilkinson was female :oops:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#954 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Just a note: The recent paving upgrade of Bent Street has done wonders for the street's surface. But the downside is the heavy vehicles that rode up over the gutters and onto the footpaths have destroyed the concrete flag pavers. Walking along the footpath tonight I felt like I was a drunk giant walking on so many teetering seeswas... (ps I wasn't drunk ... tonight).

Upshot, the whole footpath needs to be repaved now. :roll:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

david
High Rise Poster!

#955 Post by david » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Councillor's Notes - Issue 30
- Development but at what cost?
- Climate Change - The Bigger Picture
- A selection of Council decisions
David
NOTES FROM COUNCILLOR Issue 30.pdf
(411.29 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#956 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:47 pm

A preview video of the CBD 3D model is now available at the following website (looks good and I'm guessing will be improved over time):

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/deve ... model.html

From September applicants proposing a development greater than $4.5million or 3 or more levels will need to submit 3D building plans with their application.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#957 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:31 pm

Wow, very impressive! I wasn't expecting anything near that level of detail.

Can't wait for the finished thing.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#958 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:30 pm

I reckon I can see some of my handy work in there :) I won't say which buildings, but I recognise some of my mistakes in there... unless they made the same mistakes.

Either way, top work! I wouldn't mind doing some commercial work around helping developers get their models into KML Google format for the council.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#959 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm bloody impressed. It's freaking awesome; I'd expect to see some real outcomes about the way design issues are solved with the guidance of this 3D model. I would hope they've managed to factor in shadowing for Adelaide's position relevant to its time zone, geographical location, sun angles, etc. and have some sort of overlay of flight path clearances so height issues can be resolved fairly for once and for all.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#960 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Shuz wrote:I would hope they've managed to factor in shadowing for Adelaide's position relevant to its time zone, geographical location, sun angles, etc.
That's actually the easiest part I would imagine. Under most modelling software, if you geo-position it accurately it will work everything out for you.

The hardest part would be getting the architectural plans and turning them into 3d blocks and it looks like they've got a good handle on that.

I'm most impressed by the terrain, wouldn't mind having a chat to someone about how they've managed to accurately display the terrain for the Torrens precinct as it was something I was having a real trouble getting terrain data for.