News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#31 Post by Will » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Pikey wrote:I heard that there was a redesign in terms of floor and height. Smaller floorplates and taller. From what I've heard there was going to be a residential building incorporated at the current site.
I thought the redesign was happening due to no demolition occuring, but if this thing isn't going to be built until 08, that might explain the lack of activity.
Although this building was approved in February 2005, construction has not begun because no tenants have been found. I know that SA Water considered CCT3 as their new headquarters before deciding upon the Tram Barn site. With construction still more than 2 years away, it would not surprise me if the development was ammended or completely changed. A residential building would be a logical idea, given that by 2008/09 the apartment market should have bounced back.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Will » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:46 am

Nothing exciting will happen at the DAP meeting this coming Monday 7.

However during the last fortnight this was lodged with the council:

142-184 Franklin Street

Construct a 6 storey apartment building containing 109 apartments, 93 undercroft car-parks and bicycle storage. The development application also involves the demolition of the structures currently on the site. Designated Category 1, and the development is expected to cost $10 million

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#article : Adelaide council, minister under fire

#33 Post by Howie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:48 pm

Adelaide council, minister under fire

South Australian business leaders have described the Adelaide City Council as a failure.

Business SA's Peter Vaughan says the community is concerned about the council's lack of achievements.

He also says the Minister for Adelaide, Jane Lomax-Smith, has done little in her role.

"We now have a State Government-appointed Minister for Adelaide whose job it is and whose role it is and whose power it is to make sure that Adelaide becomes the premium city, like the rest of the capital cities around Australia, who have all gone ahead in leaps and bounds whilst we're still arguing about toilets in Victoria Square," he said.

But Adelaide City Council Mayor Michael Harbison rejects the criticism and says the city is flourishing.

"You might say let's not let the facts stand in the way of a good story," he said.

"But the facts are that Adelaide is now experiencing the biggest development boom in the history of this city.

"We have the lowest unemployment record we've ever seen - lower than the national average. Adelaide is booming."

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by AG » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:07 pm

But the development boom has nothing to do with any decisions or action that the City Council has taken. Nor has the low unemployment rate. It's just a ploy from the Council so that it looks busy.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Will » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:24 am

Although I feel that the council could have done a lot more during its current term, we cannot deny that the current council has done a lot more than its predecesors.

For example introducing the new development regulations is already producing fruits such as 379 & 400 KWS. Likewise the new Rundle Street markets and the City West precinct including the new bus terminal are to be applauded. However there is more work to be done, amongst which doing something about Victoria Square must sit high on the agenda.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by Edgar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:33 am

What's with Victoria Square?

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:16 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:What's with Victoria Square?
It has some grass and a fountain.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:40 pm

and a great view of the city buildings (such as Santos, Grenfell, Telstra, CC1 and soon Spire)

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#39 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:56 pm

Will wrote:...amongst which doing something about Victoria Square must sit high on the agenda.
Now that the state government wants the Glenelg tram extended and the possibility of running a track down Grote Street to loop with North Terrace, will a (four lane) tunnel from Wakefield to Grote Streets be ever on the cards? I think it is still possible. Comments?

Cheers

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by rogue » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Closing Victoria Square and/or constructing a tunnel from Grote to Wakefield Street was talked about 3 or 4 years ago, but traders from the Central Markets rejected the proposal as they thought it would lead to declining customers (not sure how). There was also opposition from motorists declaring it would add 2 or 3 minutes to a journey if they would have to drive around the square like a large roundabout. (Poor souls...)

Unfortunately, Victoria Square is currently nothing more than a tram terminus with a water feature. If the square was closed to traffic, it would make a grand public space for the people of Adelaide.

Maybe the 2006 Adelaide Footy Club premiership parade through KW Street might prompt ACC to make a BOLD decision...
Last edited by rogue on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Will » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm

I don't think that a tunnel under Victoria Square is a good idea. It would cost tens of millions of dollars. Money which I think is wasted because the tunnel would only save motorists 2-3 minutes of travel time. It is not worth it. The money would be better spent in projects that make Victoria Square more attractive and relevant to tourists and the citizens.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by JAKJ » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:27 pm

Will wrote:I don't think that a tunnel under Victoria Square is a good idea. It would cost tens of millions of dollars. Money which I think is wasted because the tunnel would only save motorists 2-3 minutes of travel time. It is not worth it. The money would be better spent in projects that make Victoria Square more attractive and relevant to tourists and the citizens.
Its not at all about saving the motorists travel time, it is about closing the square off to motorishts full stop, as a square should be... it was a mistake to favour vehicles and put roads through the square at all. If it was a pedestrian only area it could be utilised far more effectively, with say, night clubs and cafe/restaurants around the edge at ground level and an open recreation area in the centre (garden, plaza, markets whatever). That would truely change the entire feeling of the adelaide cbd and even if it cost 100 million plus the impact would be worth it.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by AtD » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:05 am

For the cost though, it'd be better to have the square as one big circle.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by rogue » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:00 am

AtD wrote:For the cost though, it'd be better to have the square as one big circle.
Would it not be called Victoria Circle then? :mrgreen:

As you say AtD, too expensive. The $$$ would be better spent on something more imaginative.

Good idea to close the square to through traffic though.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by AtD » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:17 am

For those who don't remember the goings-on from 2003, the council actually approved this plan, I've pulled this out of eLibrary and my hard drive.

The ACC's plan, from The Advertiser

A comparison, from Google Earth

Here it is: now the council has the final say on square
By Civic Reporter JEMMA CHAPMAN
The Advertiser (Adelaide, Australia) 02-27-2003
THIS is the long-awaited final plan for the controversial proposed redevelopment of Victoria Square, including blocking east-west traffic.Adelaide City Council will vote on it next Monday.

The council is still awaiting reports into the feasibility and costs of Lord Mayor Alfred Huang's tunnel proposal, however.

Work on the square and other aspects of the multimillion-dollar project to revitalise the central west precinct would start as early as July and take more than five years to complete, according to a council staff report to be tabled on Monday.

The final plan for the $17.8 million redevelopment of the square retains key features of the draft plan, including an extended tramline around the square, a central paved plaza, central lawn area, interactive water feature and a revised special-events pavilion.

Changes include:

A V-SHAPED bus transit zone at the southern end of the square, to double as a lane for motorists during off-peak traffic times.

A LIMITED-USE, bus-only slip lane at the square's northern end.

THREE lanes for circulating traffic with dedicated right-turn and U-turn lanes at the northern and southern ends of the square.

AN indented bus layover at the southeastern edge of the square.

Emergency services vehicles would have to drive around or through the square.

A report by traffic experts QED, to be tabled on Monday, said driving around the square would take emergency vehicles an extra 30 seconds.

Lord Mayor Alfred Huang said last night he had been ``assured'' by council staff the tunnel proposal - a part tunnel, part mound - could be incorporated in the final plan after work had begun.

``I'm still positive the report will come back and tell us the tunnel is feasible,'' he said.

``But the main thing is that we get on with the project now.

``And the tunnel issue is a small part of the total picture.''

The council report said a QED traffic analysis predicted the road closure would increase driving times for motorists by 15 seconds in the morning peak and 35 seconds in the evening peak.

The report said some Grote St and nearby traders were still concerned with closing the Grote and Wakefield streets connector through the square.

Councillor Greg Mackie said he remained an ``enthusiastic supporter'' of the plans for the central west precinct, including the Victoria Square redevelopment.

``I sincerely hope that a majority of my colleagues will see fit to support the plan on Monday so we can get on with the work,'' he said.

But Councillor Anne Moran, a vocal opponent of the proposed road closure, feared ``the numbers on this council'' would ``push through'' the plans before the election. ``They know the people don't want it and that's why they won't wait until after the election,'' she said.

Councillor Michael Harbison was ``dead against'' the plans. ``We must keep Grote/Wakefield streets open and make the city welcoming to the greater metropolitan area,'' he said.

Councillor Richard Hayward said the proposed square redevelopment was a ``total waste of ratepayers' money''.

The central west revitalisation project also includes:

UPGRADING Grote and Wakefield streets by widening footpaths, reducing traffic lanes and creating bicycle paths.

REDEVELOPING the council-owned Balfours and Franklin St bus station sites into high-density housing and student accommodation, plus cafes, shops, offices and restaurants.

REVAMPING the Central Market entrance and Chinatown.

Copyright 2003 News Limited. All rights reserved. The above news report may not be republished or redistributed, in whole or in part, without the prior written consent of News Limited.
And as you'd expect, it got volumes of angry comments. The Opinion and Letters pages featured the typical 'Tiser spread of NIMBY comments, such as spending the money on Schools or Hospitals, a collection of plainly unfeasible alternatives and hysterical claims that it'll somehow lead to the deaths of small children.

Brakes stay on Victoria Square
The Advertiser (Adelaide, Australia) 03-05-2003
ADELAIDE City Council will consider overturning the approval of a contentious project which includes blocking traffic through Victoria Square.Councillor Anne Moran has lodged a recision motion for the next council meeting on March 17 to try to stop, or at least delay, work on the central west precinct redevelopment project, expected to cost at least $54 million.

``If I can't stop it I want to slow it down so there's minimal expenditure,'' she said yesterday.

``This is the numero uno topic for the council election.''

Ms Moran wants the whole project reconsidered by the new council after the May election.

``I think what we are going to see is a completely different council and I don't think (we) should drum up any bills on this project until it's been considered by the next council,'' she said.

Ms Moran said she realised she probably would not get enough support to pass the motion.

``What I'm trying to do is slow the whole process down so money is not spent until the new council comes on board,'' Ms Moran said.

But council chief executive Susan Law said the recision motion could not and would not stop work going ahead in the next two weeks.

Detailed design work on aspects of the project, including upgrading Grote St, the western side of Victoria Square and the entrances to the Central Market, would continue.

Councillor Bob Angove said the council needed to ``stop procrastinating'' and ``get on with the job''.

``Victoria Square is one element of the whole central west project which is something that has been in the pipeline for so long,'' he said.

Deputy Lord Mayor Bruno Ventura said: ``It's about time we stopped talking and did something about it.

``After waiting 43 years to do something with Victoria Square, I think it's about time we started.

``This is our chance to make a difference, especially in terms of bringing more people to the city.''

Copyright 2003 News Limited. All rights reserved. The above news report may not be republished or redistributed, in whole or in part, without the prior written consent of News Limited.
Council squares up for a fight
The Advertiser (Adelaide, Australia) 01-17-2003
POLITICIANS should keep out of the Victoria Square debate, Adelaide City Council and the Local Government Association said yesterday.Lord Mayor Alfred Huang, council chief executive Susan Law and LGA executive director John Comrie said the matter was a local government issue.

They were responding to No Pokies MLC Nick Xenophon's announcement he would introduce a Bill to State Parliament next month to prevent the proposed closure of east-west traffic through the square.

``I don't believe that the State Government and Parliament should interfere with what local government is doing,'' Mr Huang said.

``We are totally capable of handling the matter.''

On Wednesday, Mr Huang said he would call for an investigation into building a tunnel for east-west traffic through the square.

Mr Comrie agreed politicians should keep out of the decision.

``The council has been elected to govern and make decisions on behalf of the community,'' he said.

Mr Comrie believed the council could close the east-west connector without State Government approval because it was a local road.

Mr Xenophon said his Bill aimed to remove the uncertainty over Victoria Square ``once and for all''.

``The ongoing controversy and squabbling within Adelaide City Council over the Victoria Square redevelopment plans is significantly undermining business confidence in the Central/Grote St precinct,'' he said.

Ms Law said the council should be able to continue its process for making a decision for Victoria Square without government interference.

``We wouldn't want any level of government to step in and stifle debate and discussion that rightly belongs in the community,'' she said.

Grote St Business Association president Deb Lavis supported the Bill.

Urban Development and Planning Minister Jay Weatherill said the Government would give its views on Victoria Square plans ``once the council puts a final proposal together''.

``We look forward to a unified position from the council, but at the end of the day it would require State Government support,'' he said.

Opposition transport and urban planning spokesman Malcolm Buckby said: ``Our position on (Victoria Square) has always been and continues to be that it's a local government matter.''

Australian Democrats acting state leader Sandra Kanck said her party would not support the Bill.

``Continuing to have the Wakefield motorway through Victoria Square has no attraction to us whatsoever,'' she said.

The proposal was squashed after the council elections. Harbison campaigned vocally against the proposal, protesting that the closure of east-west traffic though the square will kill trade in the Central Markets. Combined with the fact he spent more on his campaign than any of the other candidates, he won, and the rest is history. The decision to crush it was 100% political.
Last edited by AtD on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.