News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2551 Post by david.c-s » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:37 am

Cr Hamilton Stage 2 Vic Square proposal a U Park perhaps
Using Tapatalk

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2552 Post by Wayno » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:43 am

monotonehell wrote:I'm am so sick of popularist, evidence ignoring, truth distorting, politicians who destroy society in order to gain power. We're having enough problems with this at a national level, I do not wish to see what little positive work that Yarwood has achieved wound back. Can Yarwood stand another term? I thought our Lord Mayors were only allowed two terms in a row?
Yep i thought so too. Yarwood was first elected as Lord Mayor in Nov 2010. But i've seen news articles in the last few months where Yarwood was himself questioning whether to run again (due to media continually slagging him off). So a 3rd term may be possible?!?

Candidates must show their intent to run by September 2014. Polls are November sometime.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2553 Post by Vee » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31 am

crawf wrote:
In his column, Cr Hamilton called for the council to build more UParks, restore on-street parks and right-hand turns, and continue lobbying the State Government to scrap the carpark tax and priority bus lanes.

His position contradicts the council’s Smart Move blueprint for encouraging public transport, cycling and walking.
Let's destroy all the hard work and return Adelaide back to the 1960s! :roll:

I would not blame Yarwood for not contending the next local election, considering the amount of negative garbage that has been written by the media and some locals. Seriously why does every minor thing in this town have to turn into a saga?. It's one god damn road, which doesn't even connect both terraces.
Good summation, Crawf.
I'm another Yarwood fan.
He has done so much for our city, bringing in progressive twenty first century thinking, plans and implementation despite the constant frustration of the reactionary elements. Exhibits: Cr Hamilton, Gilfillan and his Park Lands Preservation Lobby, Ms Chapman and Ms Sanderson (anti-footbridge carping/protest), the pro-car at all costs/anti-public transport/anti-cycling/share the road blinkered RAA lobby group.

The Murdoch press/Adelaide Now, usual suspects and assorted fans in the media seem to delight in whipping up a frenzy of discontent. Lord Mayor Yarwood deserves recognition and accolades for his visionary thinking and efforts at transforming our city. Shame the media chooses to sway public opinion with their OTT anti-change agenda of negativity, sensationalizing any small hiccup (where is the balance???). Find fault, find and promote detractors!

Cr Hamilton's outdated thinking must be challenged. Look at the research, evidence, collaborative and revised thinking, global examples and detailed plans, blueprints which reflect this.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#2554 Post by Mants » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:06 am

Who would make a good mayor if Yarwood was not to contest?
Aside from him and Cr Malani, I rarely read anything positive regarding progress in Adelaide from many councillors. Most of them give off the impression of disenchanted retirees trying to cling onto their memories of Adelaide in years past.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2555 Post by ghs » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:21 pm

A couple of weeks ago I parked on Gouger street in a 15 minute zone. I
stayed for 20 minutes and returned to my car. There was an inspector standing
there. He did not put an expiation notice on my car and didn't say anything to me.
I drove off.

A few days ago I received an expiation notice in the mail. I rang the council
and they said I had been reported because I over - stayed by 7 minutes.

I've disputed the fine and stated that it's trifling because I was only over by a few minutes and the
inspector didn't even have time to print the expiation notice and put it on my car.

What do you guys think ?

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2556 Post by david.c-s » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Perhaps this is the vision for Adelaide thank you Adelaide Remember When Image
Using Tapatalk

Waewick

#2557 Post by Waewick » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:15 pm

ghs wrote:A couple of weeks ago I parked on Gouger street in a 15 minute zone. I
stayed for 20 minutes and returned to my car. There was an inspector standing
there. He did not put an expiation notice on my car and didn't say anything to me.
I drove off.

A few days ago I received an expiation notice in the mail. I rang the council
and they said I had been reported because I over - stayed by 7 minutes.

I've disputed the fine and stated that it's trifling because I was only over by a few minutes and the
inspector didn't even have time to print the expiation notice and put it on my car.

What do you guys think ?
pay the fine. You are in the wrong.

Nothing you can do about it unless they waive it.

Patrick_27

#2558 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Someone should remind the Cr. that Adelaide CBD has the greatest number of parking spaces measured by the number of people who live in Adelaide. The only parking policy I'd support is compulsory inclusion of off-street parking for any new residential developments, and further U-Park facilities; however, any further U-Park facilities should be bound by rules - minimal imposition on street-view and not eligible for high-value CBD property, I refer directly at the Pultney/Rundle Street U-Park which pays no respect to any of it's surrounds and sits on a piece of land that would be of great value.

As for bike lanes, the naysayers strike again. In Melbourne, they get stuff done. They've worked extensively to remove cars from the CBD and replace them with better pedestrian/bike-access, working in conjunction with trams. The ACC should NOT be taking on the role of state government in trying to provide large, productive roadways for masses of cars travelling east to west/west to east and north to south/south to east. I can't stress enough the importance of improving the city ring route and moving South Road along, trams travelling north to south and east to west.

Patrick_27

#2559 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:58 pm

david.c-s wrote:Perhaps this is the vision for Adelaide thank you Adelaide Remember When Image
If only someone had the brain to block the proposal for the current Myer Centre until it somehow included retaining the exterior of the old. Could have had something like Melbourne's Myer, then they wouldn't have had so many issues with filling tenancies in the upper floors.

Waewick

#2560 Post by Waewick » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Instead of a parking tax, surely a congestion tax on the part of Port road from north terrace to congdon drive, and then duplicate it on roads that have multiple PT options like the West does.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2561 Post by monotonehell » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Waewick wrote:Instead of a parking tax, surely a congestion tax on the part of Port road from north terrace to congdon drive, and then duplicate it on roads that have multiple PT options like the West does.
Possibly because other indicators / motivators that don't include an expensive to maintain bureaucracy are preferable to try first? If we get to the point of having to levy a congestion tax, I think that would indicate our failure to plan and execute positive PT policies.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2562 Post by Wayno » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:44 am

I actually wonder if Clr Hamilton will gain voter support with his anti-bike lane stance. Strongly doubt the majority of city residents want more cars traversing *their* suburb. It matters not what your average car loving Adelaidian (spelling?) or the media says on this topic. They don't get to choose the next Lord Mayor.

I'm a city resident and fewer cars, regardless of my underlying motivation, is appealing. I also can't think of any material downside the bike lanes create for city residents. Further, it should be easy to sway the parkland brigade towards more bikes and less cars. Many of these folk live in the city and you can bet they all turn out to vote in council elections.

Hamilton may have shot himself in the foot on this one...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2563 Post by david.c-s » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:37 am

Wayno wrote:I actually wonder if Clr Hamilton will gain voter support with his anti-bike lane stance. Strongly doubt the majority of city residents want more cars traversing *their* suburb. It matters not what your average car loving Adelaidian (spelling?) or the media says on this topic. They don't get to choose the next Lord Mayor.

I'm a city resident and fewer cars, regardless of my underlying motivation, is appealing. I also can't think of any material downside the bike lanes create for city residents. Further, it should be easy to sway the parkland brigade towards more bikes and less cars. Many of these folk live in the city and you can bet they all turn out to vote in council elections.

Completely agree I am a city resident and certainly wouldn't support Councillor U-Park
Using Tapatalk

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2564 Post by monotonehell » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:36 pm

david.c-s wrote:
Wayno wrote:I actually wonder if Clr Hamilton will gain voter support with his anti-bike lane stance. Strongly doubt the majority of city residents want more cars traversing *their* suburb. It matters not what your average car loving Adelaidian (spelling?) or the media says on this topic. They don't get to choose the next Lord Mayor.

Completely agree I am a city resident and certainly wouldn't support Councillor U-Park
And a third city resident who wont be voting for Cnr Cynical-Attempt.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2565 Post by david » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Mants wrote:Who would make a good mayor if Yarwood was not to contest?
Aside from him and Cr Malani, I rarely read anything positive regarding progress in Adelaide from many councillors. Most of them give off the impression of disenchanted retirees trying to cling onto their memories of Adelaide in years past.
I have no wish to be Lord Mayor but as a retiree I do my best to take a progressive view and to support the changes which the 2007 Council began to put in place and which are now coming to fruition.

I hope I am not seen as disenchanted, clinging on to my memories........... - frustrated at time maybe but not disenchanted - and I have done my best to explain what the Council is doing and to answer questions when put to me. I have also made strenuous efforts to lift the veils of secrecy on what the Council does, albeit with limited success!

By the way, Lord Mayors can run 2 consecutive terms (8 years) and Stephen Yarwood is coming up to the end of his first term as LM.

David Plumridge
Area Councillor.