News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
PropertyozSA
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Secret Heritage List

#166 Post by PropertyozSA » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:28 am

I think what is most concerning is the additional layers of regulation around what you will be able to do with listed properties including adding in aspects such as roofs as well as front facades. In addition, the Council DPA lists three economic impact studies (Connor Holmes, Hudson Howells and Colliers) yet other than blithly stating that there is a minimial financial impact of listing of $20,000 per annum per property, the Council has refused to release the studies.

If we are going to list more properties, there needs to be full confidence in the process and full access to the reports on which the Council is relying. Anything less and it starts to look like a snow job.

Nathan
Nathan Paine
Executive Director
Property Council of Australia (SA Division)
http://twitter.com/PropertyozSA
www.propertyoz.com.au

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#167 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am

I notice, with some surprise, that the old Adelaide Brewery buildings on Wyatt St (currently the offices of Wallbridge & Gilbert) are not on that list, although the Hill Smith Gallery, which almost adjoins them, is.
cheers,
Rhino

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#168 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

I think the majority are sensible, particularly in terms of protecting the historic streetscapes of Rundle & Hindley streets and Gawler Place. However, there a few -- mainly dwellings -- that strike me as odd, but I'd obviously need to know more of the context. For example, one dwelling on Market Street proposed for listing sits astride an allotment I've always considered ripe (overripe even) for development, so I'd want to be certain of its merit before compromising that potential.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#169 Post by Will » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:22 pm

rhino wrote:I notice, with some surprise, that the old Adelaide Brewery buildings on Wyatt St (currently the offices of Wallbridge & Gilbert) are not on that list, although the Hill Smith Gallery, which almost adjoins them, is.
The old Adelaide Brewery buildings are already heritage listed.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#170 Post by Will » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Having had a look at the list, all i can say is that most inclusions are very reasonable. Indeed, I am shocked that some of those buildings aren't already heritage listed. Most of those buildings contribute to the 'mojo' of what makes Adelaide attractive and unique.

rhino

#171 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Will wrote:
rhino wrote:I notice, with some surprise, that the old Adelaide Brewery buildings on Wyatt St (currently the offices of Wallbridge & Gilbert) are not on that list, although the Hill Smith Gallery, which almost adjoins them, is.
The old Adelaide Brewery buildings are already heritage listed.
A fair explanation - thankyou. Glad to see a lot of those old warehouses getting listed too, especially the one on French St, currently tennanted by Jumbuck Pastoral.
cheers,
Rhino

Omicron

#172 Post by Omicron » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Will wrote:Having had a look at the list, all i can say is that most inclusions are very reasonable. Indeed, I am shocked that some of those buildings aren't already heritage listed. Most of those buildings contribute to the 'mojo' of what makes Adelaide attractive and unique.
I agree. As always, a balance needs to be found amongst preservation, restoration and renovation. Now that I work in a city building that dates back many years, I can completely understand the frustrations and fearsome costs of maintaining a tired old edifice. Absolute originality is no good if it results in complete dilapidation and disrepair.

[Shuz]

Discussion: Heritage Buildings

#173 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:40 pm

To merge old heritage-related discussion topics into single thread.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PeFe

Re: News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

#174 Post by PeFe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:27 am

Now here is a positive development for the CBD...renewing old movie theatres as.......movie theatres!
From Adelaide Now
Revamp of Regent Theatre to create a Gold Class experience
Hoyts Regent Theatre in Adelaide in July, 1961. Picture: Advertiser Library Source: Sunday Mail (SA)
***********************************************************************************************************************
EIGHT years after the final credits rolled on cinema in Rundle Mall, movie theatres are set to return to Regent Arcade.
The arcade's owner has lodged plans to revamp and reopen the 85-year-old theatre on the back of State Government and Adelaide City Council moves to revitalise the CBD.
The Ginos Group has proposed splitting two existing cinemas, which currently resemble bare shells, into four state-of-the-art gold-class theatres with a new candy bar.
Each intimate theatre will seat between 40 and 50 patrons and screen the latest Hollywood blockbusters.
Patrons will gain access to the theatre from a repaved and upgraded Arcade Lane, which will feature a new balcony, canopy, landscaping, plus lifts and stairs to take patrons to the first-floor cinemas.
The Hoyts Regent Theatre cinema held its last screening in 2004, partly because of the increasing popularity of suburban multiplexes. It was the first of three mainstream cinemas in the city to close over the past decade.
The Wallis Academy, in Hindmarsh Square, screened its last film in 2007 before it was bulldozed to make way for the Crowne Plaza.
The following year, the Greater Union complex, in Hindley St, succumbed to poor attendances and was leased to Edge Church.
The closures left the Palace Nova Eastend cinemas in Rundle St as the only new-release theatre operating in the city.
Ginos Group property manager George Ginos said he was encouraged to lodge the proposal on the back of Government and City Council plans to attract visitors to the CBD.
"It is good to see everyone working towards a common goal to revitalise the city," Mr Ginos said.
"There seems to be a lot more interest in projects like ours."
Mr Ginos said he remained locked in talks with a cinema operator.
The proposal is the latest in a string of multimillion-dollar plans announced by the Government and the council in the past year.
The two tiers of government are investing in several key infrastructure projects in the city, including the Rundle Mall Masterplan, Victoria Square revamp and upgrades of key lanes.
Rundle Mall Management Authority chairman Theo Maras said the movie theatre would entice people into town at night.
"It is a great idea and we hope that it takes off," Mr Maras said.
The plans are expected to be endorsed by the council's Development Assessment Panel at a meeting tomorrow.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6509848442
The Regent was a beautiful Art Deco cinema, one of many in the Adelaide CBD...Wests in Hindley St (now the Adelaide Symphony rehearsal space) the Metro across the road (now student apartments) the Warner in King William St (now Commonwealth Bank) the Sturt in Rundle Mall (now the Lotteries building) all these movie theatres contributed to a more "happening" city. I can remember when John Travolta came to Adelaide in 1979(?) to promote that terrible cowboy movie he made after "Saturday Night Fever", Hindley St was blocked off around the Metro theatre so his limo could safely arrive at the premiere.....

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#175 Post by russo92 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 pm

funny how everything that was once taken away from the city is now slowly being brought back in.

What used to be in the space where the large Globalize shop is now in the Regent ?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#176 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:37 pm

russo92 wrote:funny how everything that was once taken away from the city is now slowly being brought back in.

What used to be in the space where the large Globalize shop is now in the Regent ?
That was one of the grand cinemas there. If you go up into globalize, look up the projectionist's booth is still there (look for around 5 pigeon holes in the wall up high.

I'm trying to recall what space is still left up there that was cinema. Globalise is in the grand cinema that had all the ornate fixtures, the only space left was the crappy split cinema in the middle. That was just a dark black cube from memory.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#177 Post by duke » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:34 pm

PeFe wrote:Now here is a positive development for the CBD...renewing old movie theatres as.......movie theatres!
From Adelaide Now
Revamp of Regent Theatre to create a Gold Class experience .

Does anyone know what happened to this proposal?

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#178 Post by Dog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Just reading about the Anglican Church selling the mansion Bishops court at North Adelaide.
Just a suggestion but what a great new home for our governor, freeing up Government House on North Tce. $7m would be well spent to free up such a huge valuable asset to the public on North Tce and linking North Tce, to the river.
The other benefit would be the saving of Bishop's and its grounds from being turned into corporate offices or apartments.

Waewick

#179 Post by Waewick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Dog wrote:Just reading about the Anglican Church selling the mansion Bishops court at North Adelaide.
Just a suggestion but what a great new home for our governor, freeing up Government House on North Tce. $7m would be well spent to free up such a huge valuable asset to the public on North Tce and linking North Tce, to the river.
The other benefit would be the saving of Bishop's and its grounds from being turned into corporate offices or apartments.
that is a really good idea :banana:

ml69
Legendary Member!

#180 Post by ml69 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Waewick wrote:
Dog wrote:Just reading about the Anglican Church selling the mansion Bishops court at North Adelaide.
that is a really good idea :banana:
I think a better option is to convert Carclew House on Montefiore Hill into the new government house. It's already owned by the State Govt, is a beautifully grand building and located in a very prominent location (diagonally opposite Light's Vision).

Currently used as a Youth Arts Centre, the Arts Centre could be relocated into the CBD, either in the burgeoning West End of the city or in the trendy East End ... both locations equally suitable for a Youth Arts Centre.

Then the existing Government House could be opened to the public.