News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

#1 Post by AtD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:03 pm

For those who don't know, the Gallerie Arcade used to run between Galwer Pl, North Tce and John Martins. When John Martins closed, so did the arcade, and it still stands vacant today.

North Tce frontage:

Gawler Pl frontage:

A few pics of inside the arcade from through windows or inside the homewares store that now occupies the ground floor of the gawler street frontage:

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this was that many months ago I heard through the grape vine that the owners of the arcade were going to redevelop it. Then a few days ago I noticed Tabletop and Kitchen had "Redevelopment Clearance" painted on their windows. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what the developer's plans are. It's a great location.

Cheers.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2 Post by Ho Really » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:00 pm

Nice pics. For sure it's a prime location. Would be good if they demolished the brick building in Gawler Place and replaced it with something good looking. Of course the North Terrace buildings (facades) would have to be retained, assuming they are heritage listed. Would be interesting to find out whether it will be mixed use, maybe with a 12 storey apartment complex on top of shops and offices.

Cheers

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:21 pm

Thanks for the pics again adam. Nope I haven't heard anything about the redevelopment but i did see the sign at tabletop and kitchen.

Next time i'm in there I might ask the storeperson if they know anything about it.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:47 pm

Thanks Adam for the pictures. I had noticed that the arcade was vacant but did not realize that it had being vacant since 1998! It is very interesting to look inside, and it gives you a very eerie feeling; very twilight zone.

The North Terrace facade is definately heritage listed:

"In 1865 architects Wright Woods & Hamilton were engaged to supervise the erection of a store for G & R Wills at a cost of 2600 pounds by the contractors English and Brown. "

As far as I am concerned no application for re-development has been lodged with the council.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

Re: Gallerie Arcade

#5 Post by aussie2000 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:15 pm

AtD wrote:
Anyway, the reason I'm posting this was that many months ago I heard through the grape vine that the owners of the arcade were going to redevelop it. Then a few days ago I noticed Tabletop and Kitchen had "Redevelopment Clearance" painted on their windows. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about what the developer's plans are. It's a great location.

Cheers.
the adds on tv say that table top and kitchen are closing, so maybe somethings coming up

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:41 pm

I asked the shop assistant today (while buying a wok). Apparently it's being converted into a chef school. I don't know if that's just the ground floor of the Galwer Street front or what, but I can't see the entire thing being just that one use.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Howie » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:40 am

Thanks for the update AtD.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:56 am

AtD wrote:I asked the shop assistant today (while buying a wok). Apparently it's being converted into a chef school. I don't know if that's just the ground floor of the Galwer Street front or what, but I can't see the entire thing being just that one use.
About 5 to 6 years ago I remember that Adelaide was awarded the right to establish a Le Cordon Bleu school. Maybe it's finally happening?

Another recent development is that 'PT Building Services' posters have been placed on the doors of the North Terrace frontage. Someone with success in contacting commercial companies should try and find out something.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:00 pm

As I was driving down North Terrace today I had a brief glimpse of the site. There is a 'demolition in progress' sign on the North Terrace building. However I'll point out that it is an internal demolition.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:50 am

Will wrote:
AtD wrote:I asked the shop assistant today (while buying a wok). Apparently it's being converted into a chef school. I don't know if that's just the ground floor of the Galwer Street front or what, but I can't see the entire thing being just that one use.
About 5 to 6 years ago I remember that Adelaide was awarded the right to establish a Le Cordon Bleu school. Maybe it's finally happening?

Another recent development is that 'PT Building Services' posters have been placed on the doors of the North Terrace frontage. Someone with success in contacting commercial companies should try and find out something.
Will, that school has been established in Adelaide for many years now.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Howie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:05 am

Le Cordon Bleu's in Regency isn't it?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:09 am

Sure is.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by how_good_is_he » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:49 pm

The site is owned by the Cointreau family of France. They established Le Cordon Bleu schools world-wide. This site was destined to be the Australian [& Asia] hub for the internationally recognised course.

I have the plans somewhere for a 17 storey 5-star hotel mooted for the site [rising behind the Gallerie facade] and to convert the Gawler street building into accommodation for 1,000+ students. The plans were put on hold after Sept 11. Also my understanding is they have had a hell of a time dealing with the heritage listing [what they could and couldn't do.]

I'm keen to see what happens.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:05 am

first of heard of this

got any more info??

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Howie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:58 am

I've heard today that Tabletop and Kitchen was bought out by another company and moving to unley, that's the reason for the closing down sale. Not sure if that's connected to any development of the arcade.