News & Discussion: CBD Real Estate & Market Conditions

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

Re: apologies to pistol

#106 Post by Pistol » Wed May 23, 2007 2:26 pm

dragonfly wrote:sorry pistol; i assumed when i used the quote function, it would automatically add your name.

and yes, it is Adelaide's finest multi-storey; I challenge you to name one finer.
Okay I take up your challenge and give you at least one example.
The 'Radio Cabinet' BankSA building on King William
And it looks a lot better since they cleaned it over two years ago...
Last edited by Pistol on Thu May 31, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#107 Post by rhino » Wed May 23, 2007 2:43 pm

:D I've never heard of that building being called the Radio Cabinet before, but now that you point it out, yeah, it does look like one!
cheers,
Rhino

dragonfly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#108 Post by dragonfly » Wed May 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Pistol78 wrote: Okay I take up your challenge and give you at least one example.
that is very good; i have always admired that building too.....however, it's essentially a generic building with a cool facade stuck on the front.
I preferred when it was grimy; more "Gotham City".

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#109 Post by Pistol » Wed May 23, 2007 2:55 pm

dragonfly wrote:that is very good; i have always admired that building too.....however, it's essentially a generic building with a cool facade stuck on the front.
I preferred when it was grimy; more "Gotham City".
Okay if you want grimey, the low rise building (from memory it is about 5-6 storeys) next to the Westpac branch on the corner of Grenfell and KWS. It is a building around the same era as the BankSA building but looks absolutely disgusting from years of neglect and filth (to the point that the stone facade is basically black from filth).

I have never heard the BankSA building referred to as the Radio Cabinet either Rhino, but that is what they called it on Emporis. I have always heard it being described as the toaster.

dragonfly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#110 Post by dragonfly » Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Pistol78 wrote: Okay if you want grimey, the low rise building (from memory it is about 5-6 storeys) next to the Westpac branch on the corner of Grenfell and KWS. It is a building around the same era as the BankSA building but looks absolutely disgusting from years of neglect and filth (to the point that the stone facade is basically black from filth).

I have never heard the BankSA building referred to as the Radio Cabinet either Rhino, but that is what they called it on Emporis. I have always heard it being described as the toaster.
Yes!! I know the one; i went to see some bands there (level 2) a couple of weeks ago and stood out on the little balcony, admiring the dirty stone. I would not be happy if they cleaned that building.
I like to believe the grime actually protects the stonework to some extent....

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#111 Post by Pistol » Wed May 23, 2007 3:34 pm

I like you Dragonfly, you are going to fit in well at SA... but I don't know whether I would like to see your apartment considering you like grime that much :D

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#112 Post by Will » Wed May 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Pistol78 wrote:
dragonfly wrote:sorry pistol; i assumed when i used the quote function, it would automatically add your name.

and yes, it is Adelaide's finest multi-storey; I challenge you to name one finer.
Okay I take up your challenge and give you at least one example.
Just out of curioisty how were you able to save or copy that image from Emporis? The website has some security features preventing people from saving or copying images from the site.

dragonfly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#113 Post by dragonfly » Wed May 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Pistol78 wrote:I like you Dragonfly, you are going to fit in well at SA... but I don't know whether I would like to see your apartment considering you like grime that much :D
hee hee.....actually it is a bit of a mess at the moment; but normally i only like grime on the outside of buildings.
Promise.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#114 Post by Pistol » Wed May 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Will wrote:Just out of curioisty how were you able to save or copy that image from Emporis? The website has some security features preventing people from saving or copying images from the site.
Will, all I did was right clicked and copied image address then added it in as a new image into SA. Maybe the security features need updating.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by Will » Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 pm

Pistol78 wrote:
Will wrote:Just out of curioisty how were you able to save or copy that image from Emporis? The website has some security features preventing people from saving or copying images from the site.
Will, all I did was right clicked and copied image address then added it in as a new image into SA. Maybe the security features need updating.
I asked, because about a year ago there was talk between the senior editors at Emproris to make the photos public domain, and make the technical data available to the public. It's good that they have finally decided to do this, because Emporis should essentially belong to the public.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposal : Grenfell Street Apartment Complex

#116 Post by AG » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:51 am

This one is well and truly complete on the exterior the last time I saw it. Not sure about internally though. The changes don't look that bad at all, although the building didn't exactly look spectacular to start with.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Re: Reserve Bank Building

#117 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:52 am

It's good to see a debate over the aesthetic value of the old Reserve Bank building. Imho, the interest of people in debating such things is more important than the substance of the debate. If everyone got themselves engaged in debates about the built environment, we might have a better quality built environment to complain about.

Aesthetics apart, the Reserve Bank building is an interesting one. The brief from the Cwth to the designers was for a building with a minimum 100 year lifespan, presumably under the same tenancy.

The 11th floor (I think) is the executive floor where the state manager's office was, and unlike like the rest of the building is very compartmentalised. with solid brick walls between rooms. This was done for acoustic security. The general standard of fitout for the whole of the building is extremely high. For example there are blackwood doors with multiple brass hinges and chilled drinking water plumbed throughout the building.

Oddly, the structure includes a lot of brickwork (see buildit's image above). As a further example of the longevity built into the building, the ties between the brick leaves are bronze instead of the usual galvanised items. Cost no object, apparently...

Does anyone know what use the renovating owner plans for the building? It seems to me that the lack of large windows could work against it being used for housing.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#118 Post by Will » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:37 pm

stumpjumper wrote:It's good to see a debate over the aesthetic value of the old Reserve Bank building. Imho, the interest of people in debating such things is more important than the substance of the debate. If everyone got themselves engaged in debates about the built environment, we might have a better quality built environment to complain about.

Aesthetics apart, the Reserve Bank building is an interesting one. The brief from the Cwth to the designers was for a building with a minimum 100 year lifespan, presumably under the same tenancy.

The 11th floor (I think) is the executive floor where the state manager's office was, and unlike like the rest of the building is very compartmentalised. with solid brick walls between rooms. This was done for acoustic security. The general standard of fitout for the whole of the building is extremely high. For example there are blackwood doors with multiple brass hinges and chilled drinking water plumbed throughout the building.

Oddly, the structure includes a lot of brickwork (see buildit's image above). As a further example of the longevity built into the building, the ties between the brick leaves are bronze instead of the usual galvanised items. Cost no object, apparently...

Does anyone know what use the renovating owner plans for the building? It seems to me that the lack of large windows could work against it being used for housing.
The building is being renovated into modern office accomodation. For security reasons, the building could never become housing. Someone could use an apartment to build a bomb, which would cause extensive damage to the state admin centre next door, possibly killing the state government.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Colliers Adelaide Office Market Report - Autumn 2007

#119 Post by Will » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:15 pm

This market report from Colliers makes for some very up-lifting reading, plenty of good news.

http://www.colliers.com/Content/Reposit ... mn2007.pdf

Enjoy!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#120 Post by Shuz » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:26 pm

Okay. Thats just plain stupid. Someone could just as easily build a bomb in the Bentham Street apartments and use it to blow up City Central.
This whole terrorism debacle has gone way in over some peoples heads.