[U/C] SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
nath91
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 16 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#751 Post by nath91 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am

Stryker wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 am
Can’t be too far away from topping out. It’s a shame it’s not another 10 levels.

Image

Image
Definitely should have been another 10+ levels.

These pics show what a dogs breakfast this area is becoming. There's been no clear vision for this block between Morphett St Bridge, King William and Nth Tce.

While (extremely) cost prohibitive in these hard economic times, and disruptive, would have been good to have The Riverside and Intercontinental flattened, and have a complex built from North Terrace to the River (including where the ugly AF brown plenary building is), and have the casino entirely move out of the Railway Station building with that reverted to Interstate trains, and maybe government offices.

Could have had a grand entrance and arrival statement on North Terrace, a 130-140m Skycity Tower in the same curved design thats being crammed in now, new gaming and pokies area, ballroom/function centre, entertainment and leisure centre with Stike bowling, bars, GU Film house could have gone here instead of Hindley, Holey Moley golf or similar. But obviously no private operator would invest $1 billion into Adelaide.

Hindsight.
Attachments
Casino.png

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 964
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 49 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#752 Post by how good is he » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

While good in theory the problem [even in hindsight] is that the Intercontinental, Riverside Centre & the Convention centre [Govt] are all owned and/or leased by separate parties ie not Skycity. Possibly Lot 14 could have worked but too late now.

nath91
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 16 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#753 Post by nath91 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm
While good in theory the problem [even in hindsight] is that the Intercontinental, Riverside Centre & the Convention centre [Govt] are all owned and/or leased by separate parties ie not Skycity. Possibly Lot 14 could have worked but too late now.
Yeh very true, makes it even more difficult to achieve alignment.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 300 times
Been thanked: 432 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#754 Post by rev » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:00 pm

nath91 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am

Definitely should have been another 10+ levels.

These pics show what a dogs breakfast this area is becoming. There's been no clear vision for this block between Morphett St Bridge, King William and Nth Tce.

While (extremely) cost prohibitive in these hard economic times, and disruptive, would have been good to have The Riverside and Intercontinental flattened, and have a complex built from North Terrace to the River (including where the ugly AF brown plenary building is), and have the casino entirely move out of the Railway Station building with that reverted to Interstate trains, and maybe government offices.

Could have had a grand entrance and arrival statement on North Terrace, a 130-140m Skycity Tower in the same curved design thats being crammed in now, new gaming and pokies area, ballroom/function centre, entertainment and leisure centre with Stike bowling, bars, GU Film house could have gone here instead of Hindley, Holey Moley golf or similar. But obviously no private operator would invest $1 billion into Adelaide.

Hindsight.
Personally for me, as I've said elsewhere on this forum, the best outcome (in a perfect world) would have been pretty much as you describe with the redevelopment of that entire area.
But I don't think height is necessarily the key. I think better design of buildings is far more important, and it being a proper entertainment precinct, especially in that location.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 115 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#755 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:08 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:00 pm
But I don't think height is necessarily the key. I think better design of buildings is far more important, and it being a proper entertainment precinct, especially in that location.
Agreeing with rev's opinion here.
Last edited by rhino on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers,
Rhino

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 223 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#756 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:32 pm

nath91 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am
Stryker wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 am
Can’t be too far away from topping out. It’s a shame it’s not another 10 levels.

Image

Image
Definitely should have been another 10+ levels.

These pics show what a dogs breakfast this area is becoming. There's been no clear vision for this block between Morphett St Bridge, King William and Nth Tce.

While (extremely) cost prohibitive in these hard economic times, and disruptive, would have been good to have The Riverside and Intercontinental flattened, and have a complex built from North Terrace to the River (including where the ugly AF brown plenary building is), and have the casino entirely move out of the Railway Station building with that reverted to Interstate trains, and maybe government offices.

Could have had a grand entrance and arrival statement on North Terrace, a 130-140m Skycity Tower in the same curved design thats being crammed in now, new gaming and pokies area, ballroom/function centre, entertainment and leisure centre with Stike bowling, bars, GU Film house could have gone here instead of Hindley, Holey Moley golf or similar. But obviously no private operator would invest $1 billion into Adelaide.

Hindsight.
Been saying this for years! Furthering on your idea, if this was timed around the works done to re-sleeper the tracks below and the convention centre upgrade, they could have excavated a few levels of carparking underneath the railway tracks which would have allowed for the Convention Centre to have an actual ground level frontage onto North Terrace. With regards to the InterContinental, rather than bulldoze it, build around it and simply redress the building to fit into whatever the design specs of the upgrade. The beauty of such an idea is that the government still owns all of the land, so they could have terminated leases and brokered such a deal which could have seen SkyCity operating the casino and InterContinental operating the hotel above. I think for the time being we're stuck with what we have, but a time will come when InterContinental vacates their site, SkyCity or whoever is operating the casino by that point will seek to take that portion of land and you'll probably start to see the casino slowly migrate west of the train station building whether this will result in them leaving that building or the current SkyCity addition coming down is another story, but this is probably the closest to such an idea that we'll ever see...

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1595
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#757 Post by ghs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Definitely should have been another 10+ levels.
Not on my river torrens.

We don't want adelaide looking like this dogs breakfast :
Attachments
bb.jpg
brisbane

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 411 times
Been thanked: 45 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#758 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 pm

ghs wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:42 pm
Definitely should have been another 10+ levels.
Not on my river torrens.

We don't want adelaide looking like this dogs breakfast :
What's wrong with this? Looks great

noted
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 16 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#759 Post by noted » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 pm
ghs wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:42 pm
Definitely should have been another 10+ levels.
Not on my river torrens.

We don't want adelaide looking like this dogs breakfast :
What's wrong with this? Looks great
Maybe its the filthy looking river, or maybe its the over development of the riverbank that ghs alludes to. Either way its never done much for me, and certainly not something I'd like to see Adelaide try to emulate. Obviously they can't really change the way the river looks, but just the way those high rises come right to the banks brings out the worst in it.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 53 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#760 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 am

Aside from some of the new development, Brisbane's architecture leave much to be desired. Lots of clinical, dated white boxes. THe buildings along the feel like a bit of a dogs breakfeast TBH.

I wouldn't mind a version of this for ADL but with more cohesion.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 71 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#761 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Recently returned from Brisbane. The Riverside area in the picture is pulsating with life day and night, as is Southbank just around the bend. We might not like their building design but we can learn a lot about how to activate an urban riverside precinct. The casino hotel will be central to that, and look real good at the same time.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 459 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#762 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 pm

I hope that the casino expansion can bring some much needed life to the precinct.

There's ample opportunity for activation throughout the area between Riverside Centre and KWS.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2022
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 225 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#763 Post by claybro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 am
Aside from some of the new development, Brisbane's architecture leave much to be desired. Lots of clinical, dated white boxes. THe buildings along the feel like a bit of a dogs breakfeast TBH.

I wouldn't mind a version of this for ADL but with more cohesion.
Lots of clinical white boxes? Not sure Brisbane skyline could be described that way. As for cohesion, Adelaides own riverbank development is anything but cohesive.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 53 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#764 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Having lived there I would. And I do agree re Adelaides riverbank. It’s all over.

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 69 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#765 Post by ml69 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 pm
Recently returned from Brisbane. The Riverside area in the picture is pulsating with life day and night, as is Southbank just around the bend. We might not like their building design but we can learn a lot about how to activate an urban riverside precinct. The casino hotel will be central to that, and look real good at the same time.
It’s not hard to activate a riverside precinct. Provide a reason for people to go there.

Restaurants/cafes/bars which embrace the riverfront view, with outdoor seating overlooking the view.

The problem in Adelaide with the Torrens is the ACC and parkland protectionists want it surrounded by park. You’re never going to get any “activation” by lining the river with parkland.

I think the southern (city) side of the Torrens riverfront between the Adelaide Oval footbridge and the Morphett St bridge should redeveloped with a strip of restaurants/cafes/bars in front of the Convention Centre. This is a distance of approx 250m.

This would also cover up the car park underneath the Convention Centre when viewed from the Torrens. It would also involve the relocation of the rowing sheds to another part of the Torrens. We could then have an urban-designed riverfront promenade between the river and these restaurants/cafes stretching the entire 250m

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Smithy85, utaussiefan and 9 guests