[COM] UniSA - Centre for Cancer Biology | 72m | $220 million

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #PRO: UniSA - Centre for Cancer Biology - $80 million

#16 Post by crawf » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Originally I was against the idea of developing this section of land for health purpuses, but now I'm in two minds.

This whole precinct has big potential to put Adelaide on the global map for medical research. The designs are brilliant and it will help attract more investment for the West End. Though on the otherhand this is the last remaining large block in the city, which could be perfect for either an indoor arena or a tourism/commercial development.

Plus I'm worried about the East End area. How is it going to cope with not just the RAH closing but also a large university medial school?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Interestingly, the flyovers in that video show an additional building wedged in between SAHMRI and the Adelaide Uni building (at 0:14). Also towards the end (1:07), the wide angle shot shows the riverside area north of the train lines completely redone, and some bridges across the tracks between SAHMRI and the RAH, and another from where the Adelaide Uni building is.
My guess is a car park ;)
It better bloody not be. The Adelaide Uni renders already show basement parking for their building.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Mants » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 pm

crawf wrote:Though on the otherhand this is the last remaining large block in the city, which could be perfect for either an indoor arena or a tourism/commercial development.
maybe the east end (old RAH site) could become a potential site for this type of development?

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Snorkie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Interestingly, the flyovers in that video show an additional building wedged in between SAHMRI and the Adelaide Uni building (at 0:14). Also towards the end (1:07), the wide angle shot shows the riverside area north of the train lines completely redone, and some bridges across the tracks between SAHMRI and the RAH, and another from where the Adelaide Uni building is.[/quote]

It better bloody not be. The Adelaide Uni renders already show basement parking for their building.[/quote]

I get a feeling it could be sahmri 2. I went to a conference re. the new rah about 6 months ago, & they mentioned that the interest in sahmri was so high that they were in the early phases of planning for a second sahmri building. No other details than that, but fingers crossed - better not be another car park anyway!

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Adelarch » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Wow, this is fantastic news. North Terrace is developing a great collection of modern architecture to add to the superb heritage. And there can't be many places in the world with almost 3km of civic buildings and institutions co-existing side-by-side. :applause:

Patrick_27

#21 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:15 am

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:Though on the otherhand this is the last remaining large block in the city, which could be perfect for either an indoor arena or a tourism/commercial development.
maybe the east end (old RAH site) could become a potential site for this type of development?
Adelaide city currently doesn't need any-more commercial development, we have a heap of shop-fronts to fill in and around Rundle Mall. I'd hope the old RAH site see's an extension of the Botanic Gardens and heritage listed buildings converted into new museums and art galleries.

As for an indoor arena, with a re-alignment of Memorial Drive and the demolition of the current tennis centre and Next Generation gym, they could easily fit a quality 14,000 capacity arena in the land next to Adelaide Oval. Which I'd hope was in the 50 year plan for Adelaide once all this dire riverside redevelopment is complete.

Patrick_27

#22 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:29 am

crawf wrote:Originally I was against the idea of developing this section of land for health purpuses, but now I'm in two minds.

This whole precinct has big potential to put Adelaide on the global map for medical research. The designs are brilliant and it will help attract more investment for the West End. Though on the otherhand this is the last remaining large block in the city, which could be perfect for either an indoor arena or a tourism/commercial development.

Plus I'm worried about the East End area. How is it going to cope with not just the RAH closing but also a large university medial school?
The East end will be fine. The old RAH site will open opportunities for the Arts; not to mention an upgrade of that strip of North Terrace. The free space that will open up for both Uni SA and Uni Adelaide I imagine will be used to expand engineering programs and for Uni SA in particular; re-locate some of programs from Magill and Mawson Lakes when they've began the downsize of both campus'. The other benefit of medical students moving to the west, and I apologize for stereo-typing, is that Hindley Street may clean itself up in such a process.

I'd not be surprised it the current upgrades to duplicate the tram-line under the Morphett Bridge have something to do with a future state election promise to build a tram circle loop which would be great in connecting the two campus' further.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Vee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 am

Patrick_27 wrote: The East end will be fine. The old RAH site will open opportunities for the Arts; not to mention an upgrade of that strip of North Terrace. The free space that will open up for both Uni SA and Uni Adelaide I imagine will be used to expand engineering programs and for Uni SA in particular; re-locate some of programs from Magill and Mawson Lakes .....
The opportunities provided by the demolition of the ugly RAH high rise and upgrade/re-purposing of the beautiful older buildings give scope for imaginative use of this end of North Terrace. This could be a combination of extension of the Botanical Gardens (in reality a reversion), arts/museum/culture precinct and education.

There are many suggestions in past years in this forum as to possibilities for the arts/culture/museum side. Museum of Modern Art, Music/Theatre (and home for the wonderful, unique organ (affectionately known as 'the beast'), that has no permanent display place in the Festival Theatre), Innovation etc.
I'd not be surprised it the current upgrades to duplicate the tram-line under the Morphett Bridge have something to do with a future state election promise to build a tram circle loop which would be great in connecting the two campus' further.
A tram circle loop sounds great.
This would be good news for locals, especially the connection to the new hospital/medical precinct, tourists traversing the North Terrace and city attractions, connecting with major hotels and the East End and our local/international students, including the increasing numbers living in the city.

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#24 Post by believesinadsy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 am

..little off the topic. To complete this area the interstate rail terminal would be a timely addition.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by Brando » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 am

Snorkie wrote:Interestingly, the flyovers in that video show an additional building wedged in between SAHMRI and the Adelaide Uni building (at 0:14). Also towards the end (1:07), the wide angle shot shows the riverside area north of the train lines completely redone, and some bridges across the tracks between SAHMRI and the RAH, and another from where the Adelaide Uni building is.

It better bloody not be. The Adelaide Uni renders already show basement parking for their building.[/quote]

I get a feeling it could be sahmri 2. I went to a conference re. the new rah about 6 months ago, & they mentioned that the interest in sahmri was so high that they were in the early phases of planning for a second sahmri building. No other details than that, but fingers crossed - better not be another car park anyway![/quote]

Correct mate. The premier was on radio this morning and he confirmed it will be SAHMRI 2.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by ynotsfables » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm

In regards to the old RAH site and the east end, i too believe there will be no problem with that area for many reasons , one its already established and has been for several years and will only get better and two this will be prime real estate there will be no going backwards.
As for the west end it is in need of establishment which is currently happening and its progress is expanding our city its all good and i believe very well planned. :D

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by SRW » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm a little more concerned for the East End once the RAH relocates and wish the government was more actively considering how to fill the void once it's gone. I mean, the RAH is a huge nearly-permanent population of people whose patronage of East End cafes and whatnot is important to the financial health of those businesses. So while it's a good thing that the West End is probably going to be revolutionised by the sudden presence of thousands more people daily (which, incidentally, is more reason why permanent as opposed to temporary retail/hospitality should feature along the riverfront re: Stage 2 ACC), the East End will consequently suffer no matter how established it is. Especially without a tram link between West and East.

It's probably a conversation to continue in another thread, but I suspect there's more to be said about what should come of the old RAH...

As for the UniSA proposal itself, per my comment in the UofA thread, I love it and can't wait!
Last edited by SRW on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by Shahkar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 am

Any idea when full details will be released? :roll:

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Shahkar wrote:Any idea when full details will be released? :roll:
Sadly probably never. Opinion polls have the ALP getting wiped out in next weekend's Election:)
As a Cancer survivor I would have welcomed this tertiary & medical research precinct in our city with open arms. the sweet artists renders of sharp looking buildings certainly didn't hurt.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#30 Post by Nathan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Shahkar wrote:Any idea when full details will be released? :roll:
Sadly probably never. Opinion polls have the ALP getting wiped out in next weekend's Election:)
As a Cancer survivor I would have welcomed this tertiary & medical research precinct in our city with open arms. the sweet artists renders of sharp looking buildings certainly didn't hurt.
Hasn't the money already been allocated? I thought it was given as part of signing up to Gonski, and not an election promise. Plus it wouldn't be a good look yanking money for a cancer research centre, no matter what party is in power.