[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Just build it
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: #APP: Masonic Lodge | 60m | 17lvls | Residential

#121 Post by Just build it » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:18 pm

kernelpanic wrote:In case there's any remaining doubt, I heard from Nick Tridente, the architect, that it will in fact be corten steel.
Awesome. If this is the case it's my new favourite development. I love corten steel cladding and have never seen anything in this scale built with it before. :mrgreen:

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#122 Post by skyliner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:58 pm

What is corten steel? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great to see things appear to be moving along, without stalling scenarios etc.

ADELADE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#123 Post by monotonehell » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:46 pm

skyliner wrote:What is corten steel?
Short memory?

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... a&start=75
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#124 Post by Just build it » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Rust, beautiful rust. Not cheap and very bold for a developer to use on a resi. Hard to imagine but it looks brilliant and only gets better with time as well as blends great with our skylines generally earthy tones and it just generally rocks. *takes breath*

I'd kill for an apartment in it so I could sit on my rusty balcony watching the rest of the building rust. :mrgreen:

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#125 Post by omada » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 am

I just pray this one doesn't get dumbed down, and the rusty structure replaced with the ubiquitous coloured cladding that we see gracing almost every development these days..

skyliner

#126 Post by skyliner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

monotonehell wrote:
skyliner wrote:What is corten steel?
Short memory?

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... a&start=75
Thanks mate - yeah,short memory of the terminology. (not the rest()

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#127 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:39 pm

This site together with the approved plans for the tower are up for sale in today's paper. Asking around $17 million.

I am not sure that is a good sign for this project. Maybe trying to arrange financing for Spire by selling off this property?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#128 Post by AtD » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm

$17 million - I take it that's not including the delivery of the completed building.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#129 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:34 pm

I hope this doesn't mean the project will bite the dust; I'd much rather it go ahead than Spire!
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#130 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:20 pm

This one is now officially on hold:
Type Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/277/2008
Lodgement Date: 11/04/2008
Latest Decision: APPLICATION ON HOLD
Location: FREEMASONS HALL, 254-260 North Terrace, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Demolish rear hall and construct 17 storey residential apartment building with 3 levels of basement car parking (with access from Synagogue Place), alterations and conservation works to Masonic Lodge and create ground level public space

Ho Really

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 60m | 17lvls | Residential

#131 Post by Ho Really » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm
Kinda hope a 15-25 storey tower proposal is revived for the behind the Masonic Lodge, as it'd hopefully help improve Synagogue Place, provide connection to North Tce and balance this tower out. From [U/C] 11 Frome Street | 135m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest.
Well if this is revived I think now we should be looking at something much taller so that Dwell can be hidden further into obscurity. Perhaps something in the 100 metres plus!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#132 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:11 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm
Kinda hope a 15-25 storey tower proposal is revived for the behind the Masonic Lodge, as it'd hopefully help improve Synagogue Place, provide connection to North Tce and balance this tower out. From [U/C] 11 Frome Street | 135m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest.
Well if this is revived I think now we should be looking at something much taller so that Dwell can be hidden further into obscurity. Perhaps something in the 100 metres plus!

Cheers
It's not revived - I simply wish someone would make something of the site
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#133 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Looks like this will be revived in the near future. Surely much taller given the significant height limit changes since the original proposal.

From The Advertiser
Freemasons Hall on North Terrace could be sold if $8.6m cannot be found for urgent repairs

Nearly $9 million is needed to fix the historic, ageing Freemasons Hall on North Tce after an inspection revealed alarming findings – meaning it might have to be sold.

The Freemasons Hall on North Terrace could be sold – or extensively redeveloped – if $8.6 million cannot be found for “urgent” repairs to address public safety concerns and meet compliance standards.

The historic heritage-listed building, which opened in 1927, has “extensive concrete cancer”, a recent audit has revealed, with one side of the building now closed for initial improvements.

Grand Master Neil Jensen said the Freemasons of South Australia and the Northern Territory either had to raise or borrow “significant funds” to cover extensive repairs or consider “cutting our losses by selling the building outright”.

“The other consideration is whether a mixed-use commercial and residential venture on the site would be commercially viable and exploring if it could provide an income stream to cover ongoing costs associated with the heritage-listed original building,” Dr Jensen said.

A postal vote for its approximately 1500 members will be held this month.

That will be followed by a series of briefings to help identify the next steps to save the historic building.

The concrete cancer has led to the partial collapse of external ornate architecture, forcing the closure of one side of the building for repairs, and there is rising salt damp and cracking mortar.

A spokesman for the Freemasons said “the closure hasn’t stopped activities, but there are concerns that they may have to stop all activity if it’s not repaired soon”.

A recent assessment found $2.2 million was needed immediately to address urgent maintenance and public safety concerns.

A further $6.4 million was also needed over the coming decade to bring the building up to modern standards and compliance requirements.

Dr Jensen said “just doing the basics” – committing to an annual maintenance investment of about $350,000 – was only “treading water”.

“Our challenge is to work with our members to reach an agreed consensus on the best way to address the urgent work needed and consider what the future holds for the building and its home to Freemasonry,” Dr Jensen said.

“We have reached the point where our basic annual maintenance investment is really just treading water, and that is only delaying the need to address a number of important safety and compliance issues.

“That option risks seeing this beautiful old building fall into greater disrepair, which no-one wants to see.”

Dr Jensen said that if its members supported the idea of redeveloping part of the large site, it could lead to the Freemasons “repeating history by creating a modern-built icon that can proudly stand amongst Adelaide’s changing skyscape”.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#134 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:09 pm

A tower on the site of the hall behind would be a good way to block out the view of Dwell from North Tce.

But an idea I've pondered recently is whether it could be acquired by the state government for a long-awaited concert hall. The riverbank is the obvious contender for such a venue, but this site has the advantage of being a grand & iconic edifice, located on North Terrace and in proximity to the Elder Conservatorium of Music.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#135 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:09 pm
A tower on the site of the hall behind would be a good way to block out the view of Dwell from North Tce.

But an idea I've pondered recently is whether it could be acquired by the state government for a long-awaited concert hall. The riverbank is the obvious contender for such a venue, but this site has the advantage of being a grand & iconic edifice, located on North Terrace and in proximity to the Elder Conservatorium of Music.
I appreciate the sentiment of what you're saying, but a concert hall of the size desired by both the ASO and the state government would simply not fit in this building, it might make for a decent recital centre (similar to what Melbourne have, only a heritage building) because it already has the hall with the stage and a recital centre would ultimately require smaller capacity raked seating, but whether a recital centre in Adelaide separate from a concert hall would be viable? Freemason's wouldn't even fit a modest 1,000 seat concert hall and it would be virtually impossible to extend the building too far out the back because this building practically backs out onto Synagogue Place.

IMO this news isn't really positive, with the words 'extensive concrete cancer' what would now stop any developer buying this site and tearing down the building because it's too expensive to repair. This is exactly what happened to the Foy&Gibson/South Australian Hotel building on the corner of Pulteney and Rundle Street(s) in the mid-70s, thrown into the 'too expensive, too hard' basket and torn down.