[COM] The Switch - 203 North Terrace | 119m | 35 levels | Student Accom

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] The Switch - 203 North Terrace | 119m | 35 levels | Student Accom

#1 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Attachments
203 North terrace.JPG
203 North terrace.JPG (25.57 KiB) Viewed 28634 times

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: 203 North Terrace | 73M | 19 levels | Mixed Use

#2 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Well that came out of nowhere!

Overall it's pretty good, although I'm not sure about the entrance to the carpark being on North Tce (it's immediately to the right of the pedestrian entrance). Would prefer to see it off the small lane Adelaide Central Plaza uses for loading, or just arrange for some permanent parking in the old John Martins carpark (It's only 18 spaces).

Hopefully development of the two heritage buildings either size follow fairly closely so it doesn't look like it's out of place.

Waewick

#3 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:17 pm

now that is interesting.
the site next door is owned by Le Cordon Bleu, and was planned for big things? perhaps this ties in with that?

[Shuz]

#4 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:41 pm

I knew about this one for quite a while, but obviously couldn't say anything. It's a good use of a heritage listed site. :)
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#5 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:51 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I knew about this one for quite a while, but obviously couldn't say anything. It's a good use of a heritage listed site. :)
Who is the land owner? is it related to the Le Cordon Bleu development?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 pm

In what is a positive note for this development, I was having a read of the development application and it appears that the 4 levels of office space contained in this development have already been pre-committed by the developer, Catcon, as office space for their company.

The development will also have 9 residential floors, each containing a single 3 bedroom penthouse apartment. I suspect these will be popular. Furthermore the development application states:
It is understood that the majority of these dwellings have been spoken for by potential
purchasers, reinforcing my understanding that this segment of the market is somewhat
unmet, and that there is a latent or ‘pent up’ demand for such dwellings.
The proposed cost of this development is $20 000 000.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Phantom » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:07 pm

I hope it doesn't actually end out having that weird bit jutting out from nowhere, to take advantage of the space in the air, above the smaller building in front. Also, the extreme height of this is going to cause it to have a lot of outcry from those naysayers who still want Adelaide to exist in the 1970's. I do have to say, the renders hopefully look a lot worse than the actual building would. If this is how it is actually going to look, I wouldn't be that upset if it weren't built. To me, it just looks too narrow. Kinda like the Urbanest building on the corner of North Tce and Bank St.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by slenderman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Phantom wrote:I hope it doesn't actually end out having that weird bit jutting out from nowhere, to take advantage of the space in the air, above the smaller building in front. Also, the extreme height of this is going to cause it to have a lot of outcry from those naysayers who still want Adelaide to exist in the 1970's. I do have to say, the renders hopefully look a lot worse than the actual building would. If this is how it is actually going to look, I wouldn't be that upset if it weren't built. To me, it just looks too narrow. Kinda like the Urbanest building on the corner of North Tce and Bank St.
:roll: The apartments on carpark and even taller Myer Centre are nearby, so I doubt it would be that out of place. Add in the Le Cordon Bleu and Gawler Chambers developments which have gone mysteriously quiet and that whole area could become quite dense (or a wall of equal height). However, I will join you in saying that I wouldn't be heartbroken if this one didn't get up, judging from its render. Looks quite boxy, thin and bland. However, it's only fair to wait for more renders and if it breathes some life into those nice heritage buildings in our North Terrace cultural precinct, that can only be a good thing.

Nort

#9 Post by Nort » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:46 am

I really like this proposal. On the street it keeps heritage intact, on a development level it adds a structure that stands out and says "new things happening here!" while also building a relatively small structure that doesn't soak up much of the demand for new space.

Patrick_27

#10 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:53 am

From memory - the group responsible for the Rundle Mall upgrade are currently occupying this site and will be developing it when the mall upgrade is complete (I believe under contract with the ACC). So, I'd say the chances of this going ahead are more likely than not.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#11 Post by rev » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:58 am

Is this the same site as that other tower on Nth Tce that was later watered down?

Nathan

#12 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 am

rev wrote:Is this the same site as that other tower on Nth Tce that was later watered down?
No, that was the Club 199 site. This one is two lots over (the middle of the three heritage buildings).

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by mattblack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 am

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Will » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:42 am

From the City Messenger:
203 North Tce

The state heritage-listed former G & R Wills Warehouse building would be transformed into a high end retail centre as part of an exclusive highrise development on North Tce.

A major tower proposed by Catcon would rise above and incorporate the state heritage-listed former G & R Wills Warehouse building on North Tce, opposite the State Library.

Designed by Woodhead, the $50 million, 19-level development would have high-end shops and a cafe in the heritage building, parking and offices on the lower floors of the tower, nine apartments each occupying whole upper floors and a rooftop garden

Artist’s impression for the proposed 19-storey retail centre for 203 North Tce. Source: Supplied

A consortium largely from civil construction and engineering firm Catcon is behind the $50 million, 19-storey project opposite the State Library and SA Museum.

Each of the top nine floors would be devoted to a single apartment, some already reserved, with floor areas of more than 400sq m including multiple balconies.

The historic 1878 building at the project's base would house high end fashion and perfume retailers and possibly a cafe.

According to architect firm Woodhead, many historic internal features including timber floors, cast iron columns and exposed stonework would be retained.

Above the heritage building would be three levels of carparking and four levels of boutique office space.

The tower would be crowned above the apartment levels with a rooftop garden for residents with views over North Tce and across to Adelaide Oval.

The Development Assessment Commission's planning report says there will be some "significant" impacts on the heritage value of the original building but "the benefits of

the overall project are considered to outweigh the loss of heritage fabric".

Construction would start later this year and be finished by late 2015 if the plans are approved

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#15 Post by rev » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:12 pm

mattblack wrote:Think he means this one.

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ?f=7&t=475
Nah that's not it the one I'm thinking of had a curved feature on the front facade and was another tallish skinny proposal.