Interactive Map of Adelaide CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
metro
Legendary Member!

Re: Interactive Map of Adelaide CBD Development

#31 Post by metro » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:39 am

Google Earth has a very similar 3d model I think for Adelaide. It's possible to make buildings in sketch up and import them into Google Earth.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:21 pm

rev wrote:
Wayno wrote:The ACC has a 3D model of the city.

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/plan ... ity-model/
Yeh nah, I don't use Internet Explorer. What sort of backwards organization doesn't make their website compatible with all current popular browsers?
I did try opening it in IE, and it gave me errors, and a nice box with a red X in it. Haven't seen those since I stopped using Internet Explorer.

The link Pikey posted isn't publicly accessible it seems and needs a password.
It's worse than that, Rev. It requires the installation of a plugin proprietary application which only runs on Windows. How 1990's.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#33 Post by rev » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:21 pm

metro wrote:Google Earth has a very similar 3d model I think for Adelaide. It's possible to make buildings in sketch up and import them into Google Earth.
It's more a collection of building models created by people that you can download and view. Howie has done quite a few.
The problem though is that Sketchup once you have a lot of models loaded at once can become very slow and resource hungry. Or maybe I just need to upgrade my computer which I've been meaning to do for a while.
But I'll give it a shot. I don't think there is any freely available and editable 3d model of the city available. Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea if we can get as complete a model as possible of the City/CBD, and then those willing or able to knock together some 3D models of proposals/UC/Visions that can be added to it.

rev

#34 Post by rev » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:22 pm

monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:
Wayno wrote:The ACC has a 3D model of the city.

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/plan ... ity-model/
Yeh nah, I don't use Internet Explorer. What sort of backwards organization doesn't make their website compatible with all current popular browsers?
I did try opening it in IE, and it gave me errors, and a nice box with a red X in it. Haven't seen those since I stopped using Internet Explorer.

The link Pikey posted isn't publicly accessible it seems and needs a password.
It's worse than that, Rev. It requires the installation of a plugin proprietary application which only runs on Windows. How 1990's.
Haha that's another reason I didn't bother.

rev

#35 Post by rev » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:13 pm

metro wrote:Google Earth has a very similar 3d model I think for Adelaide. It's possible to make buildings in sketch up and import them into Google Earth.
This is what I've put together so far using models created by Howie and a someone called Opacic.
I tell you, it's bloody time consuming. I stopped because the problem I see is that not every building in the City/CBD has been modeled and put up to download.
Now if someone was to come along and determine the sizes of these buildings, and we chucked in plain old boxes in their place..
adelaide - Copy.png
adelaide - Copy.png (530.62 KiB) Viewed 13602 times

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Will » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Not sure if this has been posted before:

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/adelaide_investment

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by slenderman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Will wrote:Not sure if this has been posted before:

Somebody already posted that on the last page I think. But it comes with a 3d version as well, which I think is what Rev wants.

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/adel ... estment/3d

For anybody who's interested, I made a 70 Franklin Street 3d model for Google Earth last year which is available on the 3d Warehouse, and I also have a Rundle Place model which I haven't uploaded. They're not perfectly accurate, but they're decent representations of how big they are with textures, rather than being just boxes. The main issue is that they seem to be really resource intensive, as they make my computer make loud noises and sometimes cause Google Earth to crash. It also takes a while for the texture on each face to load.

rev

#38 Post by rev » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Is that the one that was posted that wasn't working in anything except IE and needed plugins to be downloaded?
Because it works.
It's nice, gives you an idea of the scale and impact.
But you're right what I'm thinking of is something like you said. 3D modeled buildings, which at least show the size and shape of the buildings.
The main issue is that they seem to be really resource intensive, as they make my computer make loud noises and sometimes cause Google Earth to crash. It also takes a while for the texture on each face to load.
That's the problem with Sketchup. It eats up all your computers resources, and wants more afterwards.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#39 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:58 am

Made a couple of edits.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by MessiahAndrw » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:53 am

slenderman wrote:
Will wrote:Not sure if this has been posted before:

Somebody already posted that on the last page I think. But it comes with a 3d version as well, which I think is what Rev wants.

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/adel ... estment/3d
That is pretty cool. It works on Chrome because it uses the Google Maps plugin. It's nice how you can click on everything and click "View Summary" and see how much it's worth and before/after pictures.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

rev

#41 Post by rev » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:08 pm

http://www.location.sa.gov.au/viewer/

Not exactly an interative map of the CBD with 3d buildings..but you can check different things, like heritage listing..on the map.

[Shuz]

#42 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Updated list of developments. Covers data such as costs, height, levels, usage, location, hyperlink to thread, apartments, office space, hotel rooms, etc.

Any feedback / updates let me know!
Attachments
Adelaide.xlsx
Adelaide Developments
(18.23 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Wayno » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:14 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Updated list of developments. Covers data such as costs, height, levels, usage, location, hyperlink to thread, apartments, office space, hotel rooms, etc.

Any feedback / updates let me know!
Good work Shuz.

Would be awesome if such a view was embedded within the S-A forum.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]

#44 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 pm

August 2015 update.
Attachments
Adelaide.xlsx
Adelaide - August 2015
(19.22 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:41 pm

[Shuz] wrote:August 2015 update.
Looks good but Grenfell Centre is not 114m tall :)