[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#646 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:54 pm
Honey of a City wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:16 pm
If they are indeed River Reds they are the most dangerous trees to be planting in public events areas. Besides negating the vistas at maturity they'll be dropping massive branches consistently and without warning. That's an evolutionary characteristic of the species. And if they are they're planted far too close together as at maturity they're massive and spreading. Sure plant River Reds along rivers, but not in areas with regular and dense public traffic.
That's actually not true. There was a study conducted (don't ask for it, I forget where how I read it, but it's linked somewhere on S-A.) that concluded that all trees, native or otherwise, drop branches if they are under stress from lack of water. The problem is that councils allow them to go thirsty in hot weather.
It was in the Victoria Square Masterplan thread, and what Mono has said is correct, I researched it too, at the time.
cheers,
Rhino

claybro

#647 Post by claybro » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

River red gums are not suited to an urban environment. Like most things these days it is deemed as the politically correct thing to plant native trees, but large eucalypts are not well suited to formal landscapes, or high traffic areas, and do not cope well with pollution. Contrary to popular belief, they are not just plant and forget, and given the ACC's current lack of a maintenance program for all things park related, will not only look a mess(which is already eviden where used so far) but will become a danger in years to come. I don't know what was written in the Vic Sqare report, or by who, but any arourist will tell you that large eucalypts are very much more likely to shed limbs when stressed, than most other ornamentals.

rhino

#648 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm
River red gums are not suited to an urban environment. Like most things these days it is deemed as the politically correct thing to plant native trees, but large eucalypts are not well suited to formal landscapes, or high traffic areas, and do not cope well with pollution. Contrary to popular belief, they are not just plant and forget, and given the ACC's current lack of a maintenance program for all things park related, will not only look a mess(which is already eviden where used so far) but will become a danger in years to come.
I have to agree with this part of your post
claybro wrote:
I don't know what was written in the Vic Sqare report, or by who, but any arourist will tell you that large eucalypts are very much more likely to shed limbs when stressed, than most other ornamentals.
I don't know what an arourist is, but it's pretty easy to look this stuff up, and despite what you think any arourist will tell you, it is wrong.

I certainly know that at my property at Oakbank, where I had a wide range of ornamental and native trees, the ones that kept dropping limbs were the Manchurian Pears and the Pecan. I only ever had one eucalypt drop a limb in 20 years, although they did shed many very small branchlets (1cm diameter average) one summer during the drought.
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#649 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm

claybro wrote:
River red gums are not suited to an urban environment. Like most things these days it is deemed as the politically correct thing to plant native trees, but large eucalypts are not well suited to formal landscapes, or high traffic areas, and do not cope well with pollution. Contrary to popular belief, they are not just plant and forget, and given the ACC's current lack of a maintenance program for all things park related, will not only look a mess(which is already eviden where used so far) but will become a danger in years to come. I don't know what was written in the Vic Sqare report, or by who, but any arourist will tell you that large eucalypts are very much more likely to shed limbs when stressed, than most other ornamentals.
What did I just say?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#650 Post by claybro » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Sorry to have spelt arborist incorrectly Rhino, but the arborist appointed to my old home in Flinders park by the City of Charles Sturt years ago, did in fact point out, that many inappropriately planted eucalypts through the area were causing issues in the drought due to unexpected shedding of limbs, even in otherwise apparently healthy specimens. I have since read up on this and there is much written about not sitting or camping under eucalypts specifically in hot weather. If councils, or developers are using these in civic landscaping, they do so at their peril. River red gums appear to be one of the worst culprits. And you are correct, it is quite easy to read up on this stuff.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#651 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:09 am

claybro wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm
Sorry to have spelt arborist incorrectly Rhino, but the arborist appointed to my old home in Flinders park by the City of Charles Sturt years ago, did in fact point out, that many inappropriately planted eucalypts through the area were causing issues in the drought due to unexpected shedding of limbs, even in otherwise apparently healthy specimens. I have since read up on this and there is much written about not sitting or camping under eucalypts specifically in hot weather. If councils, or developers are using these in civic landscaping, they do so at their peril. River red gums appear to be one of the worst culprits. And you are correct, it is quite easy to read up on this stuff.
Again you are still repeating this disproved wive's tale.

Once again: ALL significant trees do this when they are under stress due to lack of water, native or introduced.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#652 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:16 am

Regardless of what tree is there the oval side needs to be re landscapes and tidied up to compliment the other side. Plant more guns, get rid of them. It doesn’t matter. There is still work to be done.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#653 Post by Joelmark » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Northern Promenade last week
IMG_2023.JPG
IMG_2023.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5170 times
IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2022.JPG (929.08 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_2021.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5170 times

rhino

#654 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 pm
Northern Promenade last weekIMG_2023.JPG
Does anyone know if this is the finish for the promenade surface, or is there tiling or something still to be added?

And if this is the final surface, does it look any better in real life than it does in the image?
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#655 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm

rhino wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm
Joelmark wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 pm
Northern Promenade last weekIMG_2023.JPG
Does anyone know if this is the finish for the promenade surface, or is there tiling or something still to be added?

And if this is the final surface, does it look any better in real life than it does in the image?
This is the final finish, and it does look better in real life. More like polished concrete from what I remember.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#656 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Station Street/Lane from today

ml69
Legendary Member!

#657 Post by ml69 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 pm
Station Street/Lane from today

Really looking forward to the new station lane as a revamped entrance to the riverbank precinct. An attractive, welcoming design is critical to the precinct.

ChillyPhilly

[COM] [U/C] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#658 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 am

Progress to date.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Festival Centre office tower | 108m | 27 Levels | Office

#659 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Maybe they have a tenant lined up.
Type: Schedule 10
Application Number: S10/7/2016/A
Lodgement Date: 18/04/2018
Location: ADELAIDE FESTIVAL CENTRE, King William Road, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Vary previous authorisation for demolition works and the construction of a 27 level office tower - VARIATION - application to amend consent to allow corporate signage.

WALKER CORPORATION P/L

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#660 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

The road underpass seems to be almost complete.