[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#136 Post by ghs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm

A 6000 capacity stadium is more than enough given that the only tennis event we have is the World Tennis Challenge.

To those who want a larger capacity with a retractable roof, I ask you the following :

1) Are you guys going to all chip in a lazy few million each to pay for it ?

I don't think so.

2) Is there enough room for a 15,000 seat stadium at Memorial Drive ?

I don't think so.
Last edited by ghs on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#137 Post by Goodsy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm
2) Is there enough room for 15,000 seat stadium at Memorial Drive ?

I don't think so.

wouldn't be hard to squeeze one in

ghs

#138 Post by ghs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 pm
ghs wrote:

I don't think so.

Mate, once you to get to a level of 15,000, not only do you need a lot of room for the grandstands & seats but you also
need a significant amount of room for all the facilities such as toilets, food outlets, gates, ticket agencies, staff rooms etc.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#139 Post by Goodsy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 pm
ghs wrote:

I don't think so.

Mate, once you to get to a level of 15,000, not only do you need a lot of room for the grandstands & seats but you also
need a significant amount of room for all the facilities such as toilets, food outlets, gates, ticket agencies, staff rooms etc.
The toilets are marked on the picture... infact everything you are asking for is marked on the picture

Here's a closer look, there's even room for binocular hire!

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#140 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

ghs wrote:
A 6000 capacity stadium is more than enough given that the only tennis event we have is the World Tennis Challenge.

To those who want a larger capacity with a retractable roof, I ask you the following :

1) Are you guys going to all chip in a lazy few million each to pay for it ?

I don't think so.

2) Is there enough room for a 15,000 seat stadium at Memorial Drive ?

I don't think so.
I dont think limiting it to Tennis would fill the dates often enough to make it viable. Gotta get basketball(36ers) on board to make it work I reckon. Their current stadium sits 6-8,000. Given that a move to the City and a new arena would almost certainly generate a boost in attendance. 6,000 is just too small if we're thinking ahead.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#141 Post by A-Town » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 pm

I reckon the capacity needs to be 10,000. Would be good if it was a similar venue to the Perth Arena with the 36ers playing games there too.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#142 Post by rev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am
I like this proposal. 6,000 seats is a good capacity for the interim to tide us over for the next 5 to 10 years. If it is used to capacity for most events for 100 days of the year, the economic dividend would recoup the initial construction cost quite quickly. I think its a good compromise until we have the money and resources to be able to go one better with a bigger arena circa 2025. Think of it like what Margaret Court Arena or Hisense Arena is to Rod Laver Arena.
I'm only quoting your post, but this equally applies to GHS' comments.

The intention here is to reclaim, or attract new major tennis events on the world tour. You wont attract much if anything of significance with only 6k, when you are competing globally. The WTC is not a major event, it's a joke.
For the stadium to be viable, it needs to be larger, and configurable for multiple uses. Rod Laver for example holds concerts and large conferences.
At 10-12k max capacity, and configurable for other uses, such as basketball and netball with a flexible capacity, the stadium would be used more often then Adelaide Oval.
The SMA wanted to hold regular concerts on Oval 2 and the northern parklands around Adelaide Oval, a plan rejected by the council because it was not part of the agreement.
A new multi use roofed stadium would fix that dilema.

And in reference to GHS' comments about there not being enough room. As someone showed you, there is enough room super imposing the outline of rod laver on the site.
There's also a thing called the gradient of the stands/seating.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#143 Post by serca » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Oh look another half arsed render and concept for a sporting precinct........ Anyway on a completely different topic when is the next state election :D

Agreed a capacity of 10,000 + here would make sense

Im not a soccer fan but If a soccer stadium was to be built on the riverbank what would be a realistic capacity for A league games? Surely those promotional or rare big draw card games could still be played at AO if its a 50k+ crowd expected.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#144 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:33 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am
I like this proposal. 6,000 seats is a good capacity for the interim to tide us over for the next 5 to 10 years. If it is used to capacity for most events for 100 days of the year, the economic dividend would recoup the initial construction cost quite quickly. I think its a good compromise until we have the money and resources to be able to go one better with a bigger arena circa 2025. Think of it like what Margaret Court Arena or Hisense Arena is to Rod Laver Arena.
And in reference to GHS' comments about there not being enough room. As someone showed you, there is enough room super imposing the outline of rod laver on the site.
There's also a thing called the gradient of the stands/seating.
There's room except it's in a bad location, blocking much of AO's Riverbank stand. Shift the arena westwards and then we're onto something.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by how good is he » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 am

I agree ideally where oval2 is. Serca 15k~20k average soccer crowd at the moment then there’s AFL X coming on a same size ground add rugby, boxing, concerts etc

Patrick_27

#146 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 am
I agree ideally where oval2 is. Serca 15k~20k average soccer crowd at the moment then there’s AFL X coming on a same size ground add rugby, boxing, concerts etc
Firstly, why do you keep referring to soccer and rugby? We're talking about a multi-purpose arena for tennis, basketball, netball and concert - not a rectangular stadium. And secondly, putting anything where Oval 2 is would mean blocking the Western Stand, what's the difference of blocking one stand from another?

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#147 Post by fifty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Yep, Oval 2 is the spot for a future rectangular stadium. Uni playing grounds or #1 Port rd in the parklands can continue to be developed as the next best alternative for cricket.

Meanwhile, do Memorial Drive properly as an all-weather year round 10,000 venue for court sports and events. Would not stack up financially and waste prime time real estate if tennis only.

What a precinct that would be!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

noted
High Rise Poster!

#148 Post by noted » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:02 pm

ghs wrote:
If the plan was to build an appropriate facility to host the WTC then why even bother building a 6000 capacity stadium? The current facilities are already adequate for what the event needs/deserves.
Clearly the point of the exercise would be to host a recognised ATP and/or WTA event. At the very least they could easily poach the Hobart event. If they wanted to be a little more ambitious the Sydney tournament is also there for the taking.

And no I don't plan on chipping in millions out of my own pocket for it, just like I don't for any other government project that I may or may not agree with.

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#149 Post by CDJ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm

6000 is too small. 10000-12000, based on similar business model to Rod Laver Arena is sensible.
The bulk of RLA's income is from concerts, not tennis.
If we're seriously talking about using Memorial Drive for NBL it should be bigger than the current stadium which is usually at capacity. If you bring it into the city, you'll have more people wanting to attend, not less.
Adelaide Oval should have shown to people that if you build it, they will come. This applies to sport and concerts. A great venue in the heart of the city will attract people who might not attend the same event in a less central location.
Building a 6000 seat arena as a 'stop-gap' seems like a crazy waste of time and money. Just build the right venue now and fill it with multiple sports and concerts.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#150 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:56 pm

It seems like they're just trying to shove the largest stadium they can in that small area, if you move it the green area (oval 2) to the west of Adelaide Oval you can knock down the current tennis stadium and use that as a forecourt for Adelaide Oval and the new Multipurpose stadium. There's plenty of parklands available for a new stadium, it seems odd to try and squish it in. https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Ad ... 38.6038129