[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#181 Post by Spurdo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 pm

Edit - but in all seriousness, if you speak to people in the community they do feel like big ticket items (AO and nRAH) have come at the cost to other services to the broader community.
A lot of the problems with NRAH seem to boil down to 3 main issues:

1. Shoddy Construction (incorrect room sizes, operating room lighting at incorrect heights, bad wiring, .etc)
2. Bad design (too much emphasis put on form, rather than function. After the issues with the Fiona Stanley Hospital, STH should never have gotten the design contract)
3. Administration (Spotless should never have been given any duties higher than doing laundry services)

Basically, IMO if the NRAH was designed to actually be a functional hospital, rather than an expensive architectural monument then we might not be having these problems. (For the record, I have no problem with hospitals looking aesthetically pleasing however, the functionality of the building should always be the first design priority)

This is just my opinion, plz no h8.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#182 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:39 pm
I happened to be at that fight. I happened to pay $220 for a ticket in the stand. And the crowd was big, but prolly not big enough for Adelaide Oval.
Do you have any pictures from your view? I'm curious to know if you could actually see anything
Oh..... my.... god. Of course I do, and they're shit. And that's my entire point!!! If the fight was in a purpose built 20k stadium then they'd be awesome. Sheesh 😂😂

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#183 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:03 pm

You crack me up Goodsy 😂

Matt
Legendary Member!

#184 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Does the government own the Entertainment Centre?
Knock it down and sell the land off to help pay for Memorial Drive Arena if that’s what it takes.
Unlikely this could happen, since the Govts. $50 million investment 5 or 6 years ago, plus the new-ish multi level car park next door. This facility is also well serviced by
trams, being the well advertised last stop on our current service.
5 or 6 years is an eternity.

A tram stop outside a razed block of land ripe for development would surely only increase its value.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#185 Post by rev » Tue May 01, 2018 10:27 am

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:29 pm
Yep, well what I should've said is..... if we do this then do it properly. A 20,000 seat stadium to house netball, tennis show court, soccer and rugby stadium. With a retractable roof. Plus will also accommodate these international acts, that are mostly by-passing Adelaide due to lack of demand, not lack of a proper venue.
Groovin The Moo didn't sell out in Adelaide till very late. In comparison the interstate shows sold out early on.
We may have lost the bigger music festivals, but there's still big music festivals that are held in the eastern states. They just don't come here, because the music festivals that did come here struggled to make a return.

What we need is a multi purpose small venue, 20-25k that can house a tennis center court, basketball, netball. But also external tennis courts with room to add temporary roofed stands so that we can get and hold an international tennis event. Soccer and rugby need their own multi-purpose/use venue tops 30-35k.
It should all be built around Adelaide Oval. Adelaide Oval should have the northern end turned into a stand, connected to the east and west stands, and the gaps between the south/west/east stands filled in.
Create a sporting precinct and move as much to the precinct as possible, with the SMA(revamped so it's independent of all sporting bodies to deliver the best outcomes/scheduling) running it all.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#186 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am

rev wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:27 am
Adelaide Oval should have the northern end turned into a stand, connected to the east and west stands, and the gaps between the south/west/east stands filled in.
With respect, where’s the point in that? Aside from the showdowns, neither AFL team fills the existing Oval to capacity – with maybe the odd exception every now and again. Plus, it could be argued that we’re still seeing inflated AFL crowds on the back of the novelty of the redeveloped Oval which could well settle back by a few thousand in the next 5 years or so, especially if one or both teams end up in the bottom half of the ladder for a couple of seasons which will be almost inevitable at some point in the future. Replacing the scoreboard and hill with another stand and filling in the gaps between the existing stands has the potential to look like a dog’s breakfast, as well as destroying much of the character that makes the Oval so special amongst its interstate rivals. It would become just another soulless bowl-type ground.

Until one or both AFL teams routinely fills the ground to capacity then I can see absolutely no argument to any further expansions, let alone ones which will completely change the look and feel of the place. From an atmosphere perspective I’d rather visit 11 games a year where the ground is at or near capacity than 11 games where the ground is at 60-70% capacity with loads of empty seats.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#187 Post by Goodsy » Tue May 01, 2018 11:14 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am
rev wrote:
Adelaide Oval should have the northern end turned into a stand, connected to the east and west stands, and the gaps between the south/west/east stands filled in.
With respect, where’s the point in that? Aside from the showdowns, neither AFL team fills the existing Oval to capacity – with maybe the odd exception every now and again. Plus, it could be argued that we’re still seeing inflated AFL crowds on the back of the novelty of the redeveloped Oval which could well settle back by a few thousand in the next 5 years or so, especially if one or both teams end up in the bottom half of the ladder for a couple of seasons which will be almost inevitable at some point in the future. Replacing the scoreboard and hill with another stand and filling in the gaps between the existing stands has the potential to look like a dog’s breakfast, as well as destroying much of the character that makes the Oval so special amongst its interstate rivals. It would become just another soulless bowl-type ground.

Until one or both AFL teams routinely fills the ground to capacity then I can see absolutely no argument to any further expansions, let alone ones which will completely change the look and feel of the place. From an atmosphere perspective I’d rather visit 11 games a year where the ground is at or near capacity than 11 games where the ground is at 60-70% capacity with loads of empty seats.
Crows just broke 80,000 members and Port Adelaide have over 60,000. There's absolutely demand for a bigger stadium

Llessur2002

#188 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:26 am

Goodsy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:14 am
Crows just broke 80,000 members and Port Adelaide have over 60,000. There's absolutely demand for a bigger stadium
And yet most Crows games I attend average around the 45,000 mark.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#189 Post by Goodsy » Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:26 am
Goodsy wrote:
Because there's a limit on how many seats they can sell.. and how many people actually turn up. If they had a 65k Seat stadium they'd have no trouble getting 55k people there every game

Patrick_27

#190 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 am

Goodsy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 am
Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:26 am
Goodsy wrote:
Because there's a limit on how many seats they can sell.. and how many people actually turn up. If they had a 65k Seat stadium they'd have no trouble getting 55k people there every game
What does this have to do with Memorial Drive? Take it to another forum.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#191 Post by Norman » Tue May 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Goodsy wrote:
A good chunk of those members have limited (i.e. 3) game memberships and non-ticketed memberships from what I heard.

jorcoga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#192 Post by jorcoga » Wed May 02, 2018 4:33 am

rev wrote:
Jaymz wrote:
Yep, well what I should've said is..... if we do this then do it properly. A 20,000 seat stadium to house netball, tennis show court, soccer and rugby stadium. With a retractable roof. Plus will also accommodate these international acts, that are mostly by-passing Adelaide due to lack of demand, not lack of a proper venue.
Groovin The Moo didn't sell out in Adelaide till very late. In comparison the interstate shows sold out early on.
We may have lost the bigger music festivals, but there's still big music festivals that are held in the eastern states. They just don't come here, because the music festivals that did come here struggled to make a return.
I mean, music festivals generally go for big open spaces, I don't see how a new stadium will lure them back when an event with multiple stages and with deals with food/drink vendors is much better suited to a Wayville or a Bonython Park. Hell, GTM being just out of the city instead of on a farm 2 hours away is already a huge concession.

rhino

#193 Post by rhino » Wed May 02, 2018 12:04 pm

jorcoga wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:33 am
GTM being just out of the city instead of on a farm 2 hours away is already a huge concession.
Oakbank Racecourse was 2 hours away? Were you on your bike? GTM was devised as a country (meaning in the country) music festival. Venues are Bendigo (Vic), Maitland (NSW), Townsville (Qld), Bunbury (WA). Perhaps it's at Wayville because they consider Adelaide a large country town? I thought Oakbank was a good venue myself. The mud let it down that year that was especially wet though.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#194 Post by crawf » Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm

rhino wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:04 pm
jorcoga wrote:
GTM being just out of the city instead of on a farm 2 hours away is already a huge concession.
Oakbank Racecourse was 2 hours away? Were you on your bike? GTM was devised as a country (meaning in the country) music festival. Venues are Bendigo (Vic), Maitland (NSW), Townsville (Qld), Bunbury (WA). Perhaps it's at Wayville because they consider Adelaide a large country town? I thought Oakbank was a good venue myself. The mud let it down that year that was especially wet though.
It's probably at Wayville because SA doesn't have any big regional cities. The smallest city in that list is Maitland which still has large amount of people, around 67,000 to be exact. The biggest regional city in SA is Mt Gambier which only has 27,000 and is too far from Adelaide to attract spectators from there.

Oakbank was a good venue and it's shame they moved it. Having it at Wayville ruins the whole country vibe of the festival.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#195 Post by rev » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 pm

jorcoga wrote:
rev wrote:
Jaymz wrote:
I mean, music festivals generally go for big open spaces, I don't see how a new stadium will lure them back when an event with multiple stages and with deals with food/drink vendors is much better suited to a Wayville or a Bonython Park. Hell, GTM being just out of the city instead of on a farm 2 hours away is already a huge concession.
I didn't say that it would bring more music festivals. My comment about music festivals was a side comment, not related to my belief that we need a sporting precinct centered around Adelaide Oval.