[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#31 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:13 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Such a typical statement from someone who probably doesn't know anything about entertainment facilities. 'functional' doesn't at-all mean reliable. It's a crap venue; its layout is rubbish, if it weren't for the tram it's location is would be crap too, and it's hardly flexible in regards to it's capacity arrangements - the fact that they had to build an entirely different venue next door to cater for smaller artists is a joke. Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne has three capacity arrangements whereby they can have just GA available, GA and half the seating area, or GA and all the seating. These are just a few problems with the venue, along with the cost to hire the venue which would be significantly less if we had a multi-purpose arena in the CBD.
Patrick_27 you obviously didn't read my statement. The Entertainment Centre is perfect for those events that need plenty of room. Are you suggesting that events like motorcross or Disney on Ice should be performed at the a new Memorial Drive centre? If you know more than us please state your credentials. What I can say is this, as a former sports photojournalist I have been to a few arenas. I judge them from my perspective, close up and from a spectators point of view. Occasionally when I've had the opportunity to go behind the scenes (so to speak) I can also make an educated judgement from that perspective as well. So, mine is not your typical statement.
Brucetiki wrote:Umm the Entertainment Centre has similar capacity arrangements too for the arena. Also having two venues means they can have two separate shows going at the same time (and it's been done before). And as for crap location - it's a 20 minute walk, or 2 minute drive from the city, with good all round PT access (not just the tram).
Thank you Brucetiki for your insightful input.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#32 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Personally, I feel the only way they'll be able to comfortably build an arena on Memorial Drive is if they re-align Memorial Drive itself.

Would have made more sense when they were building the footbridge to build a new Memorial Drive along the Torrens river edge and build the footbridge over the roadway so they could ave both working at the same time during major events. But then it would allow enough room for any new facility built next to the oval to be built without any consideration having to be made about how they're going to work around the road.
War Memorial Drive is already on the edge coming from King William Road to the entrance of the Southern Stand of Adelaide Oval. If you are saying it should continue on the edge and then form an S-bend back to the intersection at Montefiore Hill then you could propably do it. If Next Gen remains it still would need an access road for their car park.
rev wrote:My line of thinking is that the area in front of the oval where War Memorial Drive intersects the plaza and the foot bridge/torrens, should be turned into an open plaza area.
The courts..of course we need more then one court, but if you demolish everything out there, including the gym, and build a multipurpose arena like we are talking about, you could build outdoor courts around it or to one side, but leave room for temporary stands to be erected on the outside courts. Or build one or two outside courts with a few thousand seating capacity.
An open plaza is nice. Probably the best way to do this is to underground War Memorial Drive under a new Tennis Stadium. Have a car park underneath with entrances from both sides of War Memorial Drive. Most of the ideas here require Next Gen to be demolished. The point is, how easy is that? If you can demolish Next Gen then you'll have plenty more room and you probably wouldn't need to rearrange outside courts etc.
rev wrote:If the ultimate goal is to win back an ATP or WTA event of significance, you would want to maximize it by providing the facilities. Those facilities could be used anyway regardless.

Of course a nice gleaming new stadium would help, but in the end if there is no solid sponsor(s) and the right amount of prizemoney it won't matter too much. Trying to fit in more tournaments is hard. We can only try. Then again there are other sports as well if we can get them here. That's why I've said it many times, forget the Commonwealth Games and go for individual events and spread them over the course of a year and years (like the TDU).
rev wrote:They could realiagn, restructure that affected area of the golf course. It wont kill them. It's a public golf course, it doesn't host any major national or international events does it?
I guess it could be done but the way I see it, it's not necessary. Besides if you do it Montefiore Hill Road won't be a straight line down to the bridge. Then if you also realign War Memorial Drive like Patrick_27 suggested it becomes a little more complicated. I think it all should stay the same and hope that you can demolish Next Gen.

Cheers

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Ho Really wrote: Patrick_27 you obviously didn't read my statement. The Entertainment Centre is perfect for those events that need plenty of room. Are you suggesting that events like motorcross or Disney on Ice should be performed at the a new Memorial Drive centre?
Why not?. These type of events are performed at the new Perth Arena

Right now we have substandard venues for major concerts/events, basketball and tennis. So wouldn't it make more economic sense to construct a large multi-purpose arena (13-15k capacity) for those tenants which will be beneficial to the state but also attract other international events to Adelaide. This could include the FINA World Aquatics Championships, Commonwealth Games and perhaps pouching the Kooyong AAMI Classic from Melbourne.

Adelaide Oval is a great example of merging events to one venue. Previously we had two substandard stadiums; one was pretty, well located but had limited capacity. The other was a concrete bowl in the suburbs with poor facilities but had decent capacity. However combing both cricket and AFL to Adelaide Oval, allowed the State Government to spend a huge sum of money towards one stadium, which in the process has transformed Adelaide Oval into a premier multi-purpose stadium with outstanding facilities but also keeping that unique historic charm. This is why I believe a multi-purpose arena will be just as successful.

Either way a new tennis or multi-purpose venue is still probably another 5 years away. In the meantime the State Government should look at bidding to host the Davis Cup at the Entertainment Centre just to bring that tennis momentum back to SA.

Nathan

#34 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 pm

Would it have to be co-located with Adelaide Oval? Something along the lines of Perth Arena would probably work pretty well in the vacant area near the bus station as an additional drawcard for the Victoria Square / Market precinct. (Plus it would remove the issue of not being able to have events on at the same time at both Memorial Drive and Adelaide Oval.)

Patrick_27

#35 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:14 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Such a typical statement from someone who probably doesn't know anything about entertainment facilities. 'functional' doesn't at-all mean reliable. It's a crap venue; its layout is rubbish, if it weren't for the tram it's location is would be crap too, and it's hardly flexible in regards to it's capacity arrangements - the fact that they had to build an entirely different venue next door to cater for smaller artists is a joke. Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne has three capacity arrangements whereby they can have just GA available, GA and half the seating area, or GA and all the seating. These are just a few problems with the venue, along with the cost to hire the venue which would be significantly less if we had a multi-purpose arena in the CBD.
Patrick_27 you obviously didn't read my statement. The Entertainment Centre is perfect for those events that need plenty of room. Are you suggesting that events like motorcross or Disney on Ice should be performed at the a new Memorial Drive centre? If you know more than us please state your credentials. What I can say is this, as a former sports photojournalist I have been to a few arenas. I judge them from my perspective, close up and from a spectators point of view. Occasionally when I've had the opportunity to go behind the scenes (so to speak) I can also make an educated judgement from that perspective as well. So, mine is not your typical statement.
Brucetiki wrote:Umm the Entertainment Centre has similar capacity arrangements too for the arena. Also having two venues means they can have two separate shows going at the same time (and it's been done before). And as for crap location - it's a 20 minute walk, or 2 minute drive from the city, with good all round PT access (not just the tram).
Thank you Brucetiki for your insightful input.

Cheers
Whilst I recognise your seemingly well-informed perspective, we'll have to agree to disagree. My credentials are a degree in entertainment management and having worked extensively across all of Melbourne's live music venues, including as an intern at Olympic Park - Rod Laver Arena.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Nathan wrote:Would it have to be co-located with Adelaide Oval? Something along the lines of Perth Arena would probably work pretty well in the vacant area near the bus station as an additional drawcard for the Victoria Square / Market precinct. (Plus it would remove the issue of not being able to have events on at the same time at both Memorial Drive and Adelaide Oval.)
Good idea. Would the site be large enough though?

The best location for a new Adelaide Arena would of been the corner of North Terrace and Morphett Street. Which could of had a western entrance to the Adelaide Railway Station facing the arena, giving it superior access to public transport.

But oh well.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by ml69 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:04 am

crawf wrote:
Ho Really wrote: Patrick_27 you obviously didn't read my statement. The Entertainment Centre is perfect for those events that need plenty of room. Are you suggesting that events like motorcross or Disney on Ice should be performed at the a new Memorial Drive centre?

Right now we have substandard venues for major concerts/events, basketball and tennis. So wouldn't it make more economic sense to construct a large multi-purpose arena (13-15k capacity) for those tenants which will be beneficial to the state but also attract other international events to Adelaide. This could include the FINA World Aquatics Championships, Commonwealth Games and perhaps pouching the Kooyong AAMI Classic from Melbourne.

Adelaide Oval is a great example of merging events to one venue. Previously we had two substandard stadiums; one was pretty, well located but had limited capacity. The other was a concrete bowl in the suburbs with poor facilities but had decent capacity. However combing both cricket and AFL to Adelaide Oval, allowed the State Government to spend a huge sum of money towards one stadium, which in the process has transformed Adelaide Oval into a premier multi-purpose stadium with outstanding facilities but also keeping that unique historic charm. This is why I believe a multi-purpose arena will be just as successful.

Either way a new tennis or multi-purpose venue is still probably another 5 years away. In the meantime the State Government should look at bidding to host the Davis Cup at the Entertainment Centre just to bring that tennis momentum back to SA.
I'm torn between erecting a boutique arena of approx 7,000 seat capacity, the size of which would suit tennis, and Adelaide's basketball and netball teams. It would also suit mid-size concerts and events, leaving larger events to the existing Entertainment Centre. Such an arena could probably fit on the existing Memorial Drive site by stealing several metres to the east and west of the current tennis courts. Of course it would also be a lot cheaper to build.

On the other hand, it would be amazing to have Adelaide's premier multi-purpose arena located at the Memorial Drive, as Crawf suggests. I think 15,000 capacity is too much however. Rod Laver Arena in Melb has 15,000 capacity, probably 10-12,000 seats is more suitable for Adelaide. This will require the demolition of Next Gen or realignment/removal of Memorial Drive in front of the arena.

Either way, in order to stage a proper ATP tennis tournament, it would need to be an opening/closing roof so it can be run as an outdoor tournament.

I can't see any major issues in running events at Adelaide Oval and Memorial Drive concurrently. The footbridge might be slower due to the extra 10-12,000 people at Memorial Drive, but no insurmountable issues.

Whether we build a boutique arena or the full-blown one, it will be a hit with the public. The fantastic location will ensure that.

[Shuz]

#38 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:27 am

I would think any redevelopment of Memorial Drive would go in hand with a second Riverbank footbridge.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 am

[Shuz] wrote:I would think any redevelopment of Memorial Drive would go in hand with a second Riverbank footbridge.
No sure if serious.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by serca » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:00 pm

monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:I would think any redevelopment of Memorial Drive would go in hand with a second Riverbank footbridge.
No sure if serious.
Better yet mono why not build a dam on the east side, backfill and pave the entire riverbank precinct?

While I'm on this wave length could Memorial driver be used as a public bath?

Ho Really

#41 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 pm

crawf wrote:

crawf, in an utopian world you could build whatever you want, wherever you want. Problem is you haven't got the money to do all this.

The first thing is you need a lot more land than just the current tennis stadium. You need Next Gen and maybe a little more. You may have to underground car parks, underground or reallign War Memorial Drive. Then make sure you don't run events concurrently with Adelaide Oval or at the Riverbank. Having too much in a restricted area is going to cause you a logistical problem. That's also why I prefer two venues as suggested.
Putting all your eggs in one basket and being big is not always best crawf. Why do you want to attract swimming to Memorial Drive if you already have a FINA approved venue like Marion? As for the Commonwealth Games it will be a waste of taxpayer money. It will only be good for the State's ego but nothing else. As for poaching the Kooyong Classic, I doubt that very, very much. The director of that event is Colin Stubs. He used be the director here of the Men's Hardcourt Championship. What do you think, will he relinquish what he has in Melbourne for Adelaide? Instead put your hope in Mark Woodforde and Roger Rasheed (great guys mind you) that some how they can build a tournament good enough to attract (poach) top players here. Again, it's prizemoney and sponsorship we need. It's a chicken and egg thing.
Adelaide Oval is fine for Aussie Rules in winter and Cricket in summer. Not good for any other sport played on a rectangular field. You are too far away from the pitch and only those high up in the stands get the best views albeit at a distance. Also the drop in cricket pitch is a nuisance! So in regards to Football (Soccer) and the Rugby codes you need at best a fully covered, all-seater rectangular stadium that will assure you of two things: 1. Major tournaments (like Asian Cup which has gone to buggery!). 2. Spectactor comfort and enjoyment.
Perhaps in 5 years or so. Where the Davis Cup is played depends on tactics, whether it is best played outdoors in the heat and on grass and not indoors on Rebound Ace!

Cheers

Ho Really

#42 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:18 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Whilst I recognise your seemingly well-informed perspective, we'll have to agree to disagree. My credentials are a degree in entertainment management and having worked extensively across all of Melbourne's live music venues, including as an intern at Olympic Park - Rod Laver Arena.
Much appreciated for clarifying this. We'll definitely use your expertise in this field!

Cheers

Ho Really

#43 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 pm

crawf wrote:
Nathan wrote:Would it have to be co-located with Adelaide Oval? Something along the lines of Perth Arena would probably work pretty well in the vacant area near the bus station as an additional drawcard for the Victoria Square / Market precinct. (Plus it would remove the issue of not being able to have events on at the same time at both Memorial Drive and Adelaide Oval.)
Good idea. Would the site be large enough though?

The best location for a new Adelaide Arena would of been the corner of North Terrace and Morphett Street. Which could of had a western entrance to the Adelaide Railway Station facing the arena, giving it superior access to public transport.

But oh well.
An indoor sports arena/concert hall anywhere over the railway yards west of the Morphett Street Bridge would do. On this site you could do a lot of things. I suggested a bus/train interchange way back when I first started posting on S-A. Even a Gallery of Modern Art with a plaza would've been nice opposite the Adelaide Convention Centre extension.

Cheers

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by dsriggs » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:36 pm

crawf wrote:The best location for a new Adelaide Arena would of been the corner of North Terrace and Morphett Street. Which could of had a western entrance to the Adelaide Railway Station facing the arena, giving it superior access to public transport.
:wallbash:

Ho Really

#45 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 pm

ml69 wrote:I'm torn between erecting a boutique arena of approx 7,000 seat capacity, the size of which would suit tennis, and Adelaide's basketball and netball teams. It would also suit mid-size concerts and events, leaving larger events to the existing Entertainment Centre. Such an arena could probably fit on the existing Memorial Drive site by stealing several metres to the east and west of the current tennis courts. Of course it would also be a lot cheaper to build.

On the other hand, it would be amazing to have Adelaide's premier multi-purpose arena located at the Memorial Drive, as Crawf suggests. I think 15,000 capacity is too much however. Rod Laver Arena in Melb has 15,000 capacity, probably 10-12,000 seats is more suitable for Adelaide. This will require the demolition of Next Gen or realignment/removal of Memorial Drive in front of the arena.

Either way, in order to stage a proper ATP tennis tournament, it would need to be an opening/closing roof so it can be run as an outdoor tournament.

I can't see any major issues in running events at Adelaide Oval and Memorial Drive concurrently. The footbridge might be slower due to the extra 10-12,000 people at Memorial Drive, but no insurmountable issues.

Whether we build a boutique arena or the full-blown one, it will be a hit with the public. The fantastic location will ensure that.
Go for the venue you can afford...the smaller one...and keep a backup in the Entertainment Centre. If the venue is smaller you'll logically have less congestion when running events concurrently.

Any central location with good access, public transport, car parking and pre- and post-event amenities will be successful with the public.

Cheers