[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive Sports Upgrades

#451 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Can we change the name of this thread to something a bit more specific?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ml69
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#452 Post by ml69 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm
Inspired by Stryker, I went for a good look during my lunch break:

Thought these last two photos show how well the roof compliments Adelaide Oval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely terrific photos.

It complements Adelaide Oval because it’s the same architecture firm who designed both - Cox Architecture.

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

#453 Post by Stryker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am

The new roof is taking shape nicely.

Just a random one I’ve thrown in showing the new permanent light towers for the Cricket nets out the back. Sends a good message that D/N Tests are here to stay.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#454 Post by SRJ » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:23 am

I actually think the upgrade looks great. I am excited for this venue. Both for tennis and concerts etc.

claybro

#455 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm

SRJ wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:23 am
I actually think the upgrade looks great. I am excited for this venue. Both for tennis and concerts etc.
While the exterior may look great, as far as viewing tennis on centre court, the ends of the square on stands are virtually useless. Not only will at least one end be a long way from the Court in use, sitting to one side and craning your neck to watch the action will not be comfortable, or practical. This is at best a band aid solution, and given the location, it deserved a lot better.

Patrick_27

#456 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:24 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm
SRJ wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:23 am
While the exterior may look great, as far as viewing tennis on centre court, the ends of the square on stands are virtually useless. Not only will at least one end be a long way from the Court in use, sitting to one side and craning your neck to watch the action will not be comfortable, or practical. This is at best a band aid solution, and given the location, it deserved a lot better.
Agree with this. I know it's been said by some that this new cover can be reused elsewhere, but I really can't see where else something of this size could be used? I think we're all kidding ourselves if we think this is the beginning of a greater plan for the Drive, I suspect the state government are doing this to comply with the very minimum required to host an international comp. At best we might see them bung on a couple of extra stands in the future or maybe add another tier onto the northern stand but otherwise I think we're stuck with this current arrangement at-least until we see another change of government. It's a real shame because quite frankly it doesn't make sense that we have multiple venues operating seasonally every year that could simply be incorporated into one venue that's always in use. It worked with AFL coming to Adelaide Oval, and there's no reason they shouldn't be striving to do the same here.

claybro

#457 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm

If heritage of the Southern Stand was the concern, then surely the western end seating sections could have been catelivered off of the main structure to meet a new western stand. While possibly losing a court at the western end, it would have created a horseshoe shaped stadium similar to Kooyong in Melbourne, but still under the new roof, It would have then doubled as a mid sized concert venue, also maybe netball and basket ball?

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#458 Post by Pikey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:27 pm

This roof can and will be repurposed elsewhere in the greater Memorial Drive redevelopment. I can’t remember where I saw it but this roof can be use to create a second smaller open air Centre court style on the current site of the grass courts. The master plan shows the structure along with the main “feature” building. At least there is a future plan that’s been scoped!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#459 Post by SRJ » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 am

All your points are valid. I just think we should embrace this upgrade and enjoy having proper Tennis back in our fair City. The upgrade is only half finished. Can't we at least judge it once it is finished and the tournament has been played out. Just because it is not the upgrade we first wished for doesn't mean it is bad.

Patrick_27

#460 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:07 pm

SRJ wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 am
All your points are valid. I just think we should embrace this upgrade and enjoy having proper Tennis back in our fair City. The upgrade is only half finished. Can't we at least judge it once it is finished and the tournament has been played out. Just because it is not the upgrade we first wished for doesn't mean it is bad.
Yeah granted. Just raising my concerns about the lack of vision within the current government, I fear that whilst there are plans for this whole area, these plans will fall into the 'too hard' and 'not necessary' basket.

Llessur2002

#461 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:08 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:07 pm
SRJ wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 am
Yeah granted. Just raising my concerns about the lack of vision within the current government, I fear that whilst there are plans for this whole area, these plans will fall into the 'too hard' and 'not necessary' basket.
You're forgetting the Libs' trusty "cost blowout" basket.

ChillyPhilly

#462 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:39 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of this project in a long-term context, but it has its merits.

Once complete, this will complement Adelaide Oval nicely.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#463 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:52 am

It's relatively cheap. It improves the facilities and precinct. We gain an international tournament.

Not a bad short-term investment but hopefully there will be some decent long-term plans mooted for the precinct at some point in the next 10 years.

Ho Really

#464 Post by Ho Really » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:48 am

I haven’t seen the masterplan so have no idea where the roof can be reused, however if you use your imagination what’s already been done can easily be part of a redeveloped stadium. Said it before, they can dig one or two levels down, add an underground carpark if they want or just have a sunken centre court encircled by seats up to the roof. It can be done and it might even look like the concept image released before last year’s state election.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

#465 Post by Stryker » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 am

Ho Really wrote:I haven’t seen the masterplan so have no idea where the roof can be reused, however if you use your imagination what’s already been done can easily be part of a redeveloped stadium. Said it before, they can dig one or two levels down, add an underground carpark if they want or just have a sunken centre court encircled by seats up to the roof. It can be done and it might even look like the concept image released before last year’s state election.
Or they could unbolt this giant Meccano like set and reassemble it out the back over 3 or 4 of the show courts which is the likely scenario if it’s reused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk