[COM] New Calvary Hospital | 60m | 12 lvls | Cnr Angas/Pulteney

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] New Calvary Hospital | 60m | 12 lvls | Cnr Angas/Pulteney

#1 Post by PeFe » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 am

From the 'Tiser
Calvary will consolidate three facilities into the CBD as part of a $250m plan to build state’s biggest private hospital

Calvary Hospital has unveiled a $250m redevelopment. Source: The Advertiser

CALVARY will merge three of its health facilities into the CBD as part of a $250 million plan to build the state’s biggest private hospital.

Up to 350 private rooms are planned for the state-of-the-art facility, which will tower 12 storeys above the corner of Angas and Pulteney streets.

Calvary will relocate its hospital and day surgery from Wakefield St to the new 45,000sqm building, as well as its rehabilitation hospital from Walkerville.

Its North Adelaide and Central Districts hospital at Elizabeth Vale will not be affected by the move.

The new facility is expected to open by the end of 2018 and will include relocation of the state's only privately operated 24-hour emergency centre from Wakefield St.

The plans coincide with the release of the State Government’s reforms to the public hospital system, which include three new super emergency departments at the new Royal Adelaide, Flinders Medical Centre and Lyell McEwin, and the scaling back of emergency departments at Modbury, Queen Elizabeth and Noarlunga.

Closures of the Repatriation General Hospital and Hampstead Rehabilitation Centre are also planned.

Calvary national chief executive officer Mark Doran declined to comment specifically on the project but told The Advertiser the not-for-profit operator was exploring “medium- and long-term redevelopment options” for all four of its hospitals in the state.

“We are examining several opportunities including complete redevelopment, with the CBD, greenfield opportunities and co-location with other major hospitals,” he said.

“We are also exploring how we can grow our community and aged care services.”

Calvary has been looking for a new home for close to a year after reaching capacity at its Wakefield St hospital, which is the oldest private hospital in Adelaide — first built in 1883.

Last year, the Catholic health group considered a move to the current Royal Adelaide site but has opted for the Angas St project, which will be developed by local property group Commercial & General.

Around 700 hospital staff will relocate to the new facility, which will allow for growth of around 50 per cent of Calvary’s current capacity.

Commercial & General is finalising plans with international architecture firm Silver Thomas Hanley — the designer of the $1.85 billion new Royal Adelaide Hospital, which will include 700 single inpatient bedrooms and 100 same-day beds in 2016.

Plans for the new facility are expected to be lodged for planning approval by the middle of the year.

Commercial & General executive director Simon Toovey said the company would fund and manage the project, which would accommodate Calvary via a 30-year lease.

“Subject to relevant authority consents and financial closure, we would expect to commence works early next year,” he said.

“It’s been more than 20 years since the last new private hospital opened in Adelaide and we believe that an investment of this nature is long overdue.”

“We see this as a major step forward for private health care in Adelaide and a fitting complementary development to the new Royal Adelaide Hospital.”

The new hospital will include more than 200 basement car parks, with an additional 300 spaces will be made available in a multi-level commercial car park planned for the opposite side of Angas St.

The $15 million carpark will include seven levels of smart technology parking and two levels of office space.

Commercial & General was recently awarded the rights to develop the AAMI Stadium precinct at West Lakes, and led development of the SA Police headquarters adjacent to the proposed Calvary facility.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7220696974

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: New Calvary Hospital | 12 lvls | Cnr Angas/Pulteney

#2 Post by Wayno » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:58 am

On which corner of angas/pulteney will this be built? perhaps the existing car park area?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ghs

#3 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 am

This will be great for the city - $250 million, 700 staff relocating and it's not that far away with construction
commencing early next year.
Last edited by ghs on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick_27

#4 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Wayno wrote:On which corner of angas/pulteney will this be built? perhaps the existing car park area?
Next to the relatively new Police Headquarters (behind the City Fire Station. Originally there was other plans for this site, but I think the viability of this was deemed too risky. Glad to see they've found an appropriate use which will liven that whole strip up a bit more.

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Calvary a step closer to $250m new city hospital
http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/08/25/c ... -hospital/

Not-for-profit Catholic health care provider Calvary is a step closer to constructing a large new hospital in Adelaide’s CBD.

The $250 million, 12-storey private hospital would replace three facilities: Calvary Wakefield Hospital and the Wakefield Surgicentre in the city, and Calvary Rehabilitation Hospital in Walkerville.

According to Calvary CEO Rob Wise the hospital would “represent a 50 per cent capacity growth” over the facilities it is proposed to replace.

“It’s going to generate economic activity and … restimulate that part of the city as well,” said Wise.

“We’ve had nothing but supportive feedback to date from (Adelaide City Council) and from the State Government.”

Wise said parts of the facilities the hospital would replace are no-longer “fit for purpose”.

“What we’re doing with this new proposal is bringing those three facilities in one building,” he said.

“The new hospital will have 347 inpatient beds and … about 50 day patient beds.”

The hospital would be constructed over Bath Lane – which opens to Pulteney Street and Angas Street.

Adelaide City Council will tonight vote on a council committee recommendation to give in-principle support to the sale of Bath Lane to accommodate the hospital.

Under the proposal, Adelaide City Council would sell the east-facing end of Bath Lane, which opens onto Pulteney Street – between Wakefield Street and Angas Street – with a commitment from Calvary to widen and improve the lane to become the hospital’s entry.

The south-facing end of Bath Lane – which opens onto Angas Street – would also be sold, and be closed to the public.

Adelaide City Council will tonight vote on whether to authorise the closure and sale of the lane.

Meanwhile, Calvary’s dispute with insurer Medibank Private over the breakdown of their contract negotiations continues.

As of next Monday, thousands of patients insured with Medibank Private will be forced to pay more for treatment at Calvary hospitals, should the breakdown in negotiations remain intractable.

Medibank gave notice it was terminating its contract with Calvary earlier this year, saying that the not-for-profit was refusing to accept new contractual conditions to which other health providers had agreed.

“Medibank is deeply disappointed that (Calvary) has been unwilling to accommodate Medibank’s request to share the load of keeping healthcare affordable for our members, while also improving our members’ healthcare experience,” a spokesperson for the insurer said earlier this month.

However, Calvary has argued the insurer is using its market power to impose measures on hospitals that will not improve health care.

The proposed hospital has yet to be approved by the Development Assessment Commission.

Patrick_27

#6 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:29 pm

For a hospital, I love this. Ties in nicely with the Police HQ next door, fills an otherwise empty block and brings some activity to that part of Angas Street.

As for the old Wakefield Hospital... Logically, the site would be perfect for low-rise apartments, would really like to see the retention of the heritage elements of the site.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] New Calvary Hospital | 12 lvls | Cnr Angas/Pulteney

#7 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Interesting approach to sell the lane way as part of the development.

I wonder how much the ACC received? I'm presuming something towards a million bucks, give or take.

Would be good to have a thread on other street/lane/air rights sale (or even donation) possibilities.

The ACC should be thinking outside the box about ways to generate extra income or create otherwise not possible development opportunities.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#8 Post by Waewick » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm

cracking development, really happy to see that corner build up.

what I am hoping is that the associated medical services move to, and build on that ugly ex service station site across the road.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Dvious » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:05 pm

This part of the city for me is the worst, that corner, with the vacant corner across the road (carpark) and a petrol station across the road.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:09 pm

Thumbs up from me.

Be glad to see this corner and the entire area develop and feel more part of the CBD.

Patrick_27

#11 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:06 am

Dvious wrote:This part of the city for me is the worst, that corner, with the vacant corner across the road (carpark) and a petrol station across the road.
And don't forget the average looking apartment complex next to the other vacant corner. Hopefully the corner will be enticed by this project.

As for the petrol station, I don't know of any other city in Australia that has not just one, but TWO unnecessarily large petrol stations within its CBD.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by wilkiebarkid » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:24 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Dvious wrote:This part of the city for me is the worst, that corner, with the vacant corner across the road (carpark) and a petrol station across the road.
And don't forget the average looking apartment complex next to the other vacant corner. Hopefully the corner will be enticed by this project.

As for the petrol station, I don't know of any other city in Australia that has not just one, but TWO unnecessarily large petrol stations within its CBD.
From memory I believe the open car park will become a 7 or 8 level car park.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:22 am

Patrick_27 wrote:

4 you mean? - OTR (2), Shell and Caltex(?)

I wouldn't exactly call either of these areas apart of the CBD, the Adelaide CBD also has a much larger footprint compared to other cities.

Waewick

#14 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:42 am

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

that is a shame.

would be good to see a tram running past the sight on its way to he ring route.

PeFe

#15 Post by PeFe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

Please God no, a car park! Its 2015, not 1965 !
Just look at those multi-storey car parks in Wakefield street to see how much "life" they have brought into the area...
The new hospital will be close to public transport/walking distance to Victoria Square so transport is really not an issue.
2 new 20 storey apartment blocks on the petrol station corners.......now that really would activate this part of the city.