[COM] GPO Exchange | 85m | 22 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] GPO Exchange | 85m | 22 Levels | Office

#1 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Finally we might see some action at the old City Central site. I wonder if this will include redevelopment of the GPO. Sounds promising.
Type: Schedule 10

Application Number: S10/32/2015

Lodgement Date: 24/06/2015

Location: 177-179 Victoria Square, ADELAIDE SA 5000 and 141-159 King William Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Construct a 21 level office building and piazza space including alterations to telephone exchange.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 177-179 Victoria Square | 84m~ | 21 Levels | Office

#2 Post by Smithy85 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Whereabouts do you find these notifications? Cheers

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Rather the site stay vacant. Build something that will stand tall and proud in the city skyline, not another mid rise glass box surrounded by other mid rise glass boxes within a skyline that has hardly changed in the last two decades.

Mix of office space and residential, or purely residential apartments would work extremely well in that location.

Over the 135m mark would be perfect *dreaming*

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Now, now, Crawfie, I'd agree. But, considering that only 7-8 years ago, the original proposal for this particular site was for a hotel tower approx. 55m tall, this is a pretty damn good outcome. The 'big' one will sit behind it - I'm confident we'll see something around the 120m mark for that one. Patience, my dear.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Smithy85 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Ben wrote:Finally we might see some action at the old City Central site. I wonder if this will include redevelopment of the GPO. Sounds promising.
Type: Schedule 10

Application Number: S10/32/2015

Lodgement Date: 24/06/2015

Location: 177-179 Victoria Square, ADELAIDE SA 5000 and 141-159 King William Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Construct a 21 level office building and piazza space including alterations to telephone exchange.
Sorry mate, really is bugging me as to where you've found this :)

I've found a notice on DAC (eventually), but it says the address is 2-10 Franklin Street..It's the same development i know, but just curious as to where you've found that.

Cheers

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6 Post by rev » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:03 pm

It really irritates me when there's new proposals coming up, and there's no renders.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:40 pm

A bit more info:
Construction of a 21-storey office tower with ground level retail tenancies, entrance lobby and loading dock with three above ground parking levels and office space above; with associated amenities. A pedestrian route will be provided through the adjacent Telephone Exchange building to Exchange Place. These works are nominally described as Stage 2

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: 177-179 Victoria Square | 82m~ | 21 Levels | Office

#8 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:19 pm

$300 million development of Adelaide GPO precinct to create 500 construction jobs
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 7436020831
TIM WILLIAMS THE ADVERTISER JULY 09, 2015 10:41PM SHARE

A $300 million development of the Adelaide GPO precinct will create 500 construction jobs by transforming the landmark heritage building and its surrounds into a food and retail hub flanked by office towers.

Major property group Charter Hall has lodged plans for the development which it describes as a “game changer” for the Adelaide CBD and, pending approval, construction is expected to start in the first half of next year.

The proposal features two office towers for up to 3800 workers, eateries and shops within a refurbished GPO and, around an adjoining plaza, laneways enlivened with retail outlets and a makeover of the old Telephone Exchange building.

Charter Hall state manager Matthew Lane said the project would “restore the former glory of the GPO” and even reactivate its basement level.

“We think it will be a game changer. There’s nothing like it in the city,” he said.

“The whole site’s been neglected for years now.

“We are excited by turning that around and reinforcing this property as the heart of the commercial precinct.”

Mr Lane said the development, to be known as Precinct GPO, would activate the area from early morning to night time and complement Adelaide City Council’s overhaul of Victoria Square.

“The success of this project is based on what we can deliver to the public and that means interesting piazzas and laneways,” he said.

The 21-storey GPO Tower will face Franklin St while the 15-storey GPO Plaza building will “look like it’s floating above the GPO” from Victoria Square, though in reality it will only slightly overlap two edges of the 19th century building.

More than 3000sq m of retail space will be spread among the main and basement levels of the GPO, around the plaza, at the base of the new GPO Tower and face onto a reopened lane between the GPO and Telephone Exchange.

Mr Lane said the focus would be on food and drink and he was hoping for a quirky mix of offerings to rival those on Leigh and Peel streets.

What the project involves.
A post office will be retained within the complex, though not necessarily within the GPO itself.

The upper levels of both the GPO and Telephone Exchange buildings will be refurbished as boutique office space.

The plaza will connect to the existing one behind ANZ House.

Last year Charter Hall paid Aspen Group $29.5 million for a half stake in the Franklin St Property Trust, owner of the neighbouring Australian Tax Office Building. As part of the deal the trust bought the GPO and surrounding land for $12 million.

The Charter Hall proposal will effectively complete the broader development formerly known as City Central, which saw the rise of the ATO Building, ANZ House and the Ernst & Young Building.

“This is essentially the icing on the cake for the larger development,” Mr Lane said.

Major tenants will need to be secured before construction begins, but Mr Lane was confident that would not be a problem given the prime position of the site.

“We have had early meetings with (potential) tenants and we have had a lot of interest. There is a wow factor to it,” Mr Lane said.

“We’d be looking to start in the first half of next year.” Completion is scheduled for 2018.

Mr Lane praised the State Government’s Budget announcement to phase out stamp duty on non-residential property transfers, saying it would be a driver for investment and jobs.

“(It) will provide the state a significant competitive advantage nationally, especially where retail and wholesale investors are seeking exposure to investment grade property investments,” he said.

[email protected]

City Central?... more like Box Central.

This proposal is not a game changer, it's just another stock standard proposal that is below Adelaide's standards and will saturate the office market. Where are the curves?, striking features?, shapes?, decent height? and a interesting roof line?. This actually looks like it was plonked straight from Sim City.

The features however do sound pretty good.
More than 3000sq m of retail space will be spread among the main and basement levels of the GPO, around the plaza, at the base of the new GPO Tower and face onto a reopened lane between the GPO and Telephone Exchange.
Maybe 5 years ago this proposal would of been acceptable, but the architectural standards in Adelaide have risen and this right below par. Keep the retail component, but overhaul the design and replace the office building with residential apartments or mix it up!. It would be the only apartments along Victoria Square (so far) and would no doubt sell extremely fast.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Alyx » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:40 pm

How incredibly underwhelming for such an iconic heritage building, in such a prominent location.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Will » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Is that meant to be the "landmark" tower of City Central?

If so, how disappointing.

It doesn't stimulate the senses from an architectural or height perspective. It is just a boring, beige box, that would have been welcome 15 years ago, but is now irrelevant and not required.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:43 pm

crawf wrote:
$300 million development of Adelaide GPO precinct to create 500 construction jobs
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 7436020831
TIM WILLIAMS THE ADVERTISER JULY 09, 2015 10:41PM SHARE

A $300 million development of the Adelaide GPO precinct will create 500 construction jobs by transforming the landmark heritage building and its surrounds into a food and retail hub flanked by office towers.

Major property group Charter Hall has lodged plans for the development which it describes as a “game changer” for the Adelaide CBD and, pending approval, construction is expected to start in the first half of next year.

The proposal features two office towers for up to 3800 workers, eateries and shops within a refurbished GPO and, around an adjoining plaza, laneways enlivened with retail outlets and a makeover of the old Telephone Exchange building.

Charter Hall state manager Matthew Lane said the project would “restore the former glory of the GPO” and even reactivate its basement level.

“We think it will be a game changer. There’s nothing like it in the city,” he said.

“The whole site’s been neglected for years now.

“We are excited by turning that around and reinforcing this property as the heart of the commercial precinct.”

Mr Lane said the development, to be known as Precinct GPO, would activate the area from early morning to night time and complement Adelaide City Council’s overhaul of Victoria Square.

“The success of this project is based on what we can deliver to the public and that means interesting piazzas and laneways,” he said.

The 21-storey GPO Tower will face Franklin St while the 15-storey GPO Plaza building will “look like it’s floating above the GPO” from Victoria Square, though in reality it will only slightly overlap two edges of the 19th century building.

Mr Lane said the focus would be on food and drink and he was hoping for a quirky mix of offerings to rival those on Leigh and Peel streets.

A post office will be retained within the complex, though not necessarily within the GPO itself.

The upper levels of both the GPO and Telephone Exchange buildings will be refurbished as boutique office space.

The plaza will connect to the existing one behind ANZ House.

Last year Charter Hall paid Aspen Group $29.5 million for a half stake in the Franklin St Property Trust, owner of the neighbouring Australian Tax Office Building. As part of the deal the trust bought the GPO and surrounding land for $12 million.

The Charter Hall proposal will effectively complete the broader development formerly known as City Central, which saw the rise of the ATO Building, ANZ House and the Ernst & Young Building.

“This is essentially the icing on the cake for the larger development,” Mr Lane said.

Major tenants will need to be secured before construction begins, but Mr Lane was confident that would not be a problem given the prime position of the site.

“We have had early meetings with (potential) tenants and we have had a lot of interest. There is a wow factor to it,” Mr Lane said.

“We’d be looking to start in the first half of next year.” Completion is scheduled for 2018.

Mr Lane praised the State Government’s Budget announcement to phase out stamp duty on non-residential property transfers, saying it would be a driver for investment and jobs.

“(It) will provide the state a significant competitive advantage nationally, especially where retail and wholesale investors are seeking exposure to investment grade property investments,” he said.

[email protected]

City Central?... more like Box Central.

This proposal is not a game changer, it's just another stock standard proposal that is below Adelaide's standards and saturate the office market. Where are the curves?, striking features?, shapes?, decent height? and a interesting roof line?. This actually looks like it was plonked straight from Sim City.

The features however do sound pretty good.
Maybe 5 years ago this proposal would be acceptable, but the architectural standards in Adelaide have risen and this right below par. Keep the retail component, but overhaul the design and replace the office building with residential apartments over looking Victoria Square or mix it up!. It would be the only apartments along Victoria Square (so far) and would no doubt sell extremely fast.

Crawf, do you have put a downer on every proposal of this sort put forward?

How is this not acceptable to Adelaide's standards? We have no such standards that you talk about... With the exception of VUE and SAMRI, there are no other buildings built or under construction in this city that are of the standards you have described. Merely everything in this city is a proposal and sure as hell not guaranteed to be built. Sure, Eclipse and even that proposal for Morphett/Waymouth Street(s) are fantastic, but at this point there is no assurance they they'll go ahead.

The height is decent (82m is still quite bold for Adelaide) and it's purpose as an office building is suited to the City Central precinct, they wouldn't put forward the proposal without a suitable tenant in mind.

I like the design, it's not EPIC but it's clean and has enough of an visual impact to get my approval.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by slenderman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:15 am

Yeah, that doesn't do it for me at all. Maybe elsewhere in the city but not here.

Sorry Patrick, but this is right in the heart of the CBD, one of the best, most prominent locations we have. Outside of the Court precinct area, this is the one of the last chances to "fill in" Victoria Square, so the buildings here should be as high quality as Vue for me.

Whatever we build here must stand the test of time as it will likely stand next to the GPO's clock tower for the rest of our lives. A bold contrast between the old and new is needed here.

These buildings are the definition of Lego block towers. They are not iconic like the GPO and already look dated. CC8 and CC1 look far nicer, and the main building proposed is supposed to be the iconic landmark tower.

I sincerely hope the design is overhauled. I do like the laneway eatery and retail plans though.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Pikey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:21 am

For such a prominent and premium location, it's extrordinarily underwhelming. No sense of scale, incredibly massive and completely plain in terms of design.

Quite disappointing.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:26 am

Patrick_27 wrote:

Crawf, do you have put a downer on every proposal of this sort put forward?
I am just bitterly disappointed with this proposal. I work in the City Central precinct, so I frequent this area daily.
How is this not acceptable to Adelaide's standards? We have no such standards that you talk about... With the exception of VUE and SAMRI, there are no other buildings built or under construction in this city that are of the standards you have described. Merely everything in this city is a proposal and sure as hell not guaranteed to be built. Sure, Eclipse and even that proposal for Morphett/Waymouth Street(s) are fantastic, but at this point there is no assurance they they'll go ahead.
I probably went overboard with my comment just before, however the standard of proposals has improved dramatically over the last 2 years. Yes they are only proposals though as we've seen with VUE and others, there is strong residential demand and short term accommodation in the city now.
The height is decent (82m is still quite bold for Adelaide) and it's purpose as an office building is suited to the City Central precinct, they wouldn't put forward the proposal without a suitable tenant in mind.
82m is not bold, it's just tallish for Adelaide. Which is still pretty embarrassing, when construction has commenced on Australia's tallest building over the border in Melbourne - 317 metres and a 270 metre tower in Brisbane.

Perhaps I've just lived in Adelaide too long, but I believe our city deserves far better.

H1ghlife
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by H1ghlife » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:34 am

I know it shouldnt, but proposals like this make my blood boil. Its exciting to imagine any new developments that are in the pipeline for Adelaide, even if its just 21 storeys, but such a prime location deserves attention from the best architects in the country and a budget that can handle that.

Hell, the two boxes in the concept image may as well be two more versions of the Globe apartments off of Rundle Street. Detracting from the area, not adding to it.