PRO: City Skate Park

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

PRO: City Skate Park

#1 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:23 pm

From InDaily: http://indaily.com.au/news/2015/08/14/c ... -revealed/

CBD skate park designs revealed

Bension Siebert | 14 August 2015

The design for the proposed temporary skate park in the East parklands.

Adelaide | Designs for a temporary skate park in the CBD worth nearly $500,000 have been revealed, but skaters say it’s too little, too late.

The State Government has provided three quarters of the funding towards a $490,000 temporary skate park in the east parklands, between Wakefield and Bartels roads.

However, it has not announced funding for a permanent facility to replace the city skate park on North Terrace since that was closed earlier this year.

The proposed temporary facility, designed by Adelaide City Council administration in collaboration with the SA Skate Space Association, includes ramps, rails and grind boxes, as well as upgraded half-sized basketball courts and a picnic shelter.

SASSA spokesperson, skater Andy Walker, who was involved in the design of the park, told InDaily that young people in Adelaide had been without a city skatepark for too long, and that a permanent, state-of-the-art facility was urgently needed.

“We don’t know how long ‘temporary’ is,” Walker said.

“We were … confined with what we could do (with the temporary design) but we did the best with what we had.

“We’ve just taken a lot of good obstacles from other skate parks that we’ve seen and tried to put the best bits into one.

“It’s only meant to be a temporary space, so everything’s going to have to be transportable.”

Deputy Premier John Rau said the State Government was “committed to installing a temporary skate park while the final location for a new permanent park is determined”.

“That process is ongoing.”

However, Walker said the people who previously used the former city skate park facility would have numbered in their thousands, including BMX riders, skaters and younger kids on scooters. Since the closure of the facility “there’s been a bit of a slowdown in the scene … and I think it’s probably meaning that some kids aren’t being as active”.

“A central facility is quite crucial,” he said.

“There have been some other parks pop up in the suburbs, which has been good … but obviously – there’s a park in Munno Parra – if you live out at Noarlunga, it’s not exactly that accessible to you.”

Walker said a permanent city facility should ideally be located on the riverbank.

Greens MLC Tammy Franks said it was a waste of money to construct a merely temporary skate park.

“It’s being spent on a temporary facility, whereas we should’ve planned ahead and built a state-of-the-art (permanent) facility,” she said.

“We could have a facility that brings tourists in, functions not only as a skate park but also as a place to have competitions.

“You could’ve even seen it incorporate things like roller derby, with adjoining facilities.

“It’s $490,000 that’s being spent needlessly.”

Franks said a world-class permanent facility could cost between $2 million and $4 million.

The designs will be presented to Adelaide City Council’s Finance and Business Services committee for debate next week.
Last edited by Norman on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: PRO: City Skate Park

#2 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Wow the East Terrace and Rose Park residents are going to love this!

Spending $500k on a temporary skate park is a waste of taxpayers money, why don't just put that money towards a permanent facility?.

Also no toilets?

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by mshagg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Lol, what a strange approach. They take this long to announce a crappy temporary facility months ago before they destroyed City Skate? It's also a kilometer away from anything I'd consider 'city', unless skaters spend more time in the wakefield medical precinct or on hutt street than I assumed.

Pretty insulting for the people that use these facilities. I'd like to see the permanent one in a fairly prominent location. The vaste wasteland near the bus depot is still ACC owned isnt it?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:12 am

It's a ridiculous location for it.

That part of the park lands and Wakefield street get shut down to the public in the weeks leading up to the Clipsal 500. What's going to happen then?

This will either end up being a total farcical situation where they end up building another one at a bigger cost after this one is built, or this one will end up being the permanent replacement.

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by crowdoc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 am

This site is presently a tennis court which is used for basketball mainly by overseas students. It is a fairly high visibility site next to Wakefield Rd and across from the main Victoria park site which is also well used. As a local resident I have no problem with it going ahead. It may be better if there was lighting included in the plan. It s on a bike track so it should be quite accessible.

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by madelaide » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Why not build a permanent skate park on the triangular patch of land across the road from the Ice Arena? Include a rock climbing wall, street art space, a mountain bike track and a footbridge over James Congdon Drive to the ice complex. Being right near a tram stop and across the road from the hospital is handy too. This is the least the State could do to keep the the kids off the street and active.

That area (the former SA Water depot) was already redeveloped into a park a few years back. It has yet to see a person use it. I'm sure they're planning on building this temporary fixture on existing parkland so moving forward on that idea and developing it around a fresh set of trees would be even better.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:54 pm

great to see progress is being made, that will make posters here happy!

What I don't understand with things like this, is they should be close to the city and its amenities, why would you drive the kids that use these things to the fringes?

for me, it needs to be located next to existing facilities, the BMX track in the South park lands is a bit far out, if it was me and I thought my kids would use it, I would prefer it close to Rundle Street or now West Terrace - but make it visible well lit and easy to access.

Just don't stick it somewhere in the middle of know where.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Wayno » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Co-locating within or adjacent to one of the Uni campus sites be a good idea. Surely some space could be found. You know, entice youth towards a richer education.

It should be within 'skating distance' of the Adelaide railway station, not peddling distance.

Also agree with comments about making it a fuller destination, roller blading, setup for competitions, etc. But that probably means more space and hence a further distance out...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by serca » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:16 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.

Why not build (world class) skate park in the middle of the southern side of Victoria square. Of course surround it with some insane landscaping and urban street art and some provisions for food vans

Nathan

#10 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 pm

My thoughts:

Immediately across the rail lines from the old site. Get rid of the open air carpark. It's still bounded by the rail lines, so making good use of a hard boundary and it maintains the 'urban' feel of the skate park. It's mostly a dead space at the moment.

Co-locate with other casual activities, such as basketball half courts, the rowing sheds, beach volleyball, start/end jogging facilities etc. Tennis courts, city pool and Par 3 immediately on the other side of the river. It becomes the active leisure section of the parklands, making a connection between the health precinct to the entertainment & arts precinct of the river. It also retains exceptional public transport access, and helps to maintain activity in the area (as opposed to it being concentrated to when events are on).

Facilities would naturally accomodate toilets, but maybe also a kiosk, a free city bike node, showers/changerooms for volleyball and joggers (the loop around the river is very popular for jogging), and maybe even back of house facilities so larger scale competitions can be held at the skate park. Grassed areas between can act as more informal exercise/activity areas.

Behold my hastily put together map.
riverbank.jpg
riverbank.jpg (639.72 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

ml69
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by ml69 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:50 pm

Nathan wrote:My thoughts:

Immediately across the rail lines from the old site. Get rid of the open air carpark. It's still bounded by the rail lines, so making good use of a hard boundary and it maintains the 'urban' feel of the skate park. It's mostly a dead space at the moment.

Co-locate with other casual activities, such as basketball half courts, the rowing sheds, beach volleyball, start/end jogging facilities etc. Tennis courts, city pool and Par 3 immediately on the other side of the river. It becomes the active leisure section of the parklands, making a connection between the health precinct to the entertainment & arts precinct of the river. It also retains exceptional public transport access, and helps to maintain activity in the area (as opposed to it being concentrated to when events are on).

Facilities would naturally accomodate toilets, but maybe also a kiosk, a free city bike node, showers/changerooms for volleyball and joggers (the loop around the river is very popular for jogging), and maybe even back of house facilities so larger scale competitions can be held at the skate park. Grassed areas between can act as more informal exercise/activity areas.

Behold my hastily put together map.
riverbank.jpg
My thoughts exactly, make it an active recreational area! However, I would also add an adventure playground and water park (like the new one at Darling Harbour in Sydney), rock climbing wall, active outdoor gym equipment and nature-based playground to get an even more diverse group of people using this riverfront area.

There should also be some small scale restaurants and cafes with outdoor dining terraces overlooking the river. On weekends and school holidays this could become quite a lively area.

Despite the good access to public transport, I believe that there should be some car parking provided on site. This could be similar to Plane Tree Drive behind the zoo.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:14 am

I like this spot too, and instead would push most of the activity courts adjacent to The Torrens jogging/cycling loop path, and put car parking along the rail line. Grassed area between. Reason being so those playing basketball, skating, blah can be seen by folk walking, jogging or riding past, and vise-versa. Better for safety, anti-vandalism, etc. Joggers would stop and watch some of the skating action, etc. Create some visual interplay.

Agree with other ideas (climbing wall, public toilets, etc). Create a dense enough cluster and yes a kiosk/cafe could be plonked in the vicinity. Nice area for young teenagers to hang out. Design so as to leave space for grandstand-style seating (temporary, or maybe permanent bleacher style?) that overlooks the skate park with the Torrens as a backdrop. Very nice.

Could be done on a shoe string budget. Not rocket science...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ho Really

#13 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 am

Nathan wrote:Immediately across the rail lines from the old site...
I like your concept. Again it reiterates why this side of the Morphett Bridge should have been earmarked for entertainment, sport and leisure. Well...I hope someone in council and government see this idea because it shits on the silly proposal being put forward. Good work.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

ghs

#14 Post by ghs » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Victoria square has become the latest skate park. There were about 15
kids there skateboarding this afternoon. It created a nice vibrancy though.
The view from Victoria square will be great next year once Vue
and 115 Kws are finished.