News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion : New Bars & Night Clubs

#46 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:24 am

Ben wrote:Not entirely sure what they mean by a supper club.
According to Urban Dictionary:
supper club
Nicer term used in some more suburban areas for a swingers group
For some supper clubs, no food may be involved- if that's not your thing- you might want to decline the invitation.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:33 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Ben wrote:Not entirely sure what they mean by a supper club.
According to Urban Dictionary:
supper club
Nicer term used in some more suburban areas for a swingers group
For some supper clubs, no food may be involved- if that's not your thing- you might want to decline the invitation.
That sounds like Propaganda to me ;)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:13 am

To make use of Urban dictionary you need to be aware of context and trolls. ;) :lol:

In this case "supper club" is the first of three definitions.
1. A fine dining establishment and social club, open late at night.
2. An "underground restaurant" operated in a private residence, often illegally.
3. Definition two, used as a code name for a swingers club (not common).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Patrick_27

#49 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Wayno wrote:From Renew Adelaide:
Renew Adelaide has an amazing opportunity to secure a basement in the heritage listed building, Bertram House.

This basement = grunge. To bring out the potential of this space, we envisage this underground gem being turned into a small bar or music venue. It is a very rare occasion that a heritage listed property with such originality and potential comes to Renew Adelaide, so for this reason, it is important that your concept will stand out from the crowd.

Inspection on 12 January at 4:00pm, applications close 17 January 2016. Click here to register to attend an inspection.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Location: Bertram House, on the corner of Coromandel Place and Grenfell Street
Type of Property: Basement with small venue potential
Area: Approximately 95 square metre tenancy
A friend and I will be applying to inspect the space and potentially take it further. Fantastic little spot!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Really? Yeah!!! Go for it...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Llessur2002

#51 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:08 pm

And another one!
Coming Soon: BRKLYN

2015 was another banner year for new bars in Adelaide, with big openings like Pink Moon Saloon, Mississippi Moon, NOLA, Peter Rabbit, Oscar Nine, Fat Controller, Gondola Gondola’s Bia Om Bar, Vinyl, Bar Torino, BadDog and The Pearl all adding to our city’s frankly ridiculous drinks scene.

But just in case you thought we couldn’t possibly cram any more new establishments into the CBD, 2016 is already off to a flying start with our first new venue announcement for the year, BRKLYN.

The latest in a new generation of East End establishments, BRKLYN will take over the site of online radio station and venue Soundpond which was put up for sale last year. Located a few doors down from other beloved venues like Sugar and Distill, the team behind BRKLYN are keeping their cards close to their chest, but they’ve told ripitup.com.au we should expect more than a straight-up bar operation.

Working with designer Matiya Marovich of Sans-Arc studios (Pink Moon Saloon, NOLA Adelaide, Gondola Gondola), BRKLYN’s fitout will pay homage to the streets of the Big Apple in some intriguing and quite literal ways. Along with a bar, the venue is set to house a few other separate but complementary endeavours operating by day. One of these is Soundpond itself, which will return in a new form as one cog in the larger venue.

“It’s still going to have a huge musical focus, because I come from a musical background,” BRKLYN co-owner Rashaad Chénia says. “With Soundpond coming along we thought it would be a good way to actually use the space with a lot of other features to get people interacting with the music.”

BRKLYN’s currently under construction home overlooking Rundle Street

Aside from the influence of that concrete jungle where dreams are made of, the BRKLYN team also draw inspiration from across the Atlantic. “I used to live in London, I was born there and have lived in Adelaide for nine years or so,” Chénia says, with his business partner also working in the London bar scene. The rise of multi-use spaces in the UK proved influential when they shifted their attention back home.

“Particularly in places like Shoreditch where there’s a big culture around music, hip hop and that kind of indie scene there’s definitely things springing up,” they say. “You’ll see cafés with retail and coffee shops with hairdressers, so [we’re] definitely aiming for that multi-functional space.”

Working to a vague March opening date, the bar is already promising a focus on craft beer and cocktails, but beyond that we’ll have to wait and see.
http://ripitup.com.au/food-and-drink/co ... qBgJ2ORM7B

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:18 pm

And this will be huge for Adelaides LGBT community (hope I got it in the right order). Meant to open this weekend but no word on location as yet.

Coming soon: Mary’s Poppin

Words by Anna Mazzone

The new year will see a new venue settle in to the ever-bustling East End of the city, with a long-awaited second gay venue for Adelaide opening in January. Mary’s Poppin is a new cocktail bar for the gay community and their friends, bringing a bottomless bag of tricks and entertainment to the city.

While the exact location is still to be revealed, we know that the new bar is opening up at the East End of the city, “just off Rundle Street”.

Stephen Craddock, the man behind Mary’s, has run LGBTIQ events all over Australia and says that Adelaide is definitely in need of a venue like this for the local community.

“Adelaide has been waiting long enough for another gay venue to open, and we finally have the answer with this one-of-a-kind cocktail bar,” says Craddock.

“Work is well underway and it’s safe to say that Mary’s Poppin is going to be a unique and special place for a wonderfully proud community. Taking full advantage of our up market East End location, our long-term vision is to deliver a fresh and new perspective for the gay friendly community.”

After starting his own LGBTIQ event agency In The Dark nearly eight years ago, Craddock is proud of the progress being made in Australia and abroad, when it comes to the gay nightlife.

“From humble beginnings, starting with four parties a year, we now produce over 80 events annually for the gay and lesbian community all over Australia and throughout Asia.”

Mary’s Poppin is planning a colourful mix of entertainment, with regular DJ’s and drag shows, which we’re sure will bring more of the vibrant late-night glitz that we’re used to seeing at the other end of the city.

“Our little bar will double as a venue with fabulous shows, to die for cocktails and wonderful nights out. With a focus on creating an environment that has something for everyone, we look forward to welcoming our new Adelaide family to Mary’s Poppin.”

Mary’s is pulling out all the stops, with word of a selfie room and a disco ball in every toilet cubicle, providing the perfect lighting for all those inevitable bathroom snaps.

“Mary’s is special, it’s our own little venue in the heart of Adelaide, and we couldn’t be more excited!”

Llessur2002

#53 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Can only be good news - I wonder where it will be?

Also noticed that the re-opened Dog & Duck has a Pride flag outside. Not specifically a gay venue as far as I know but it's nice to see a bit of open inclusiveness...

metro
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by metro » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:53 pm

The Austral had a rainbow pride flag out the front on the corner as well for a while, not sure if it's still there though.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Ben wrote:ABCDEFG
I can almost guarantee you got it 'wrong' because there's no real correct. The last I heard was LGBTQIAQ2GQIAASCP(GSM). There's a counter movement who want to use a completely different term... which I forget. There's also GSD (Gender and Sexual Diversities).

Basically the term has become so inclusive it means everyone (even those filthy straights).
Llessur2002 wrote:Can only be good news - I wonder where it will be?

Also noticed that the re-opened Dog & Duck has a Pride flag outside. Not specifically a gay venue as far as I know but it's nice to see a bit of open inclusiveness...
I've noticed quite a number of rainbow flags outside random venues. Not quite sure what they mean, but it's nice. Also colourful. ;)

I'm quietly excited for some new bars on Rundle Street. They will have to work hard to beat BadDog. :cheers:

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by Mpol » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:15 pm

I am really excited to see the opening of such bars East End. Despite the hospital moving, the east should still be a beacon of entertainment, food and nightlife. Different to that of West but still bustling. It is great to see interest is very much alive

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#57 Post by SRW » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:22 am

monotonehell wrote:
Ben wrote:ABCDEFG
I can almost guarantee you got it 'wrong' because there's no real correct. The last I heard was LGBTQIAQ2GQIAASCP(GSM). There's a counter movement who want to use a completely different term... which I forget. There's also GSD (Gender and Sexual Diversities).

Basically the term has become so inclusive it means everyone (even those filthy straights).
Llessur2002 wrote:Can only be good news - I wonder where it will be?

I've noticed quite a number of rainbow flags outside random venues. Not quite sure what they mean, but it's nice. Also colourful. ;)

I'm quietly excited for some new bars on Rundle Street. They will have to work hard to beat BadDog. :cheers:
The flags were up as part of Feast, though a few businesses had them up beyond that.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:33 pm

The Yo! India Restobar opened at 222 Morphett Street recently. Like previously said, it's becoming a nice little restaurant hub now. Great to see [THUMBS UP SIGN]

ghs

#59 Post by ghs » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:01 pm

Atlantis Lounge bar (which hasn't opened yet) is getting hammered on facebook for their plan to have sharks
in small aquariums :

https://web.facebook.com/Atlantis-Loung ... 755742481/

Looks like they'll be opening in the next month or so. I think they have the timing wrong - opening at the beginning
of autumn / winter after all the festivals have finished ????

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:34 pm

ghs wrote:Looks like they'll be opening in the next month or so. I think they have the timing wrong - opening at the beginning
of autumn / winter after all the festivals have finished ????
Festival time is a quiet time for most nightclubs outside the 'slash zone' around the venue hubs.