News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#346 Post by Modbury_Man » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Re Betty's Burgers I would say potentially in the new Rundle Mall Plaza food court (H & M development)?

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#347 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am

Empire branding is now on the side of 1KWS. According to their Facebook page they're now open.

Here's an interior pic courtesy of their Facebook page:

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#348 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Odd location for the relocation of this bar but happy to see it is still around. A good pool bar is like a shisha lounge, you'll always have people wanting to play regardless of the night of the week.

Patrick_27

#349 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:25 pm
Odd location for the relocation of this bar but happy to see it is still around. A good pool bar is like a shisha lounge, you'll always have people wanting to play regardless of the night of the week.
Doesn't seem like an odd location at all? It's practically central to everything, it's in a laneway which is destined to become another Bank Street or Peel Street in good time and they can pretty much be sure of the fact that they won't ever lose their lease at this site. I say this is a good move.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#350 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Oh it’s facing the lane way! I thought it was facing King Will. :cheers:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#351 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Suncorp roofline signage will be going up on this building shortly too.

Nathan

#352 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Cocolat on Rundle St has closed after 12 years. Refurb underway immediately with a banner up quoting The Source about the best roast in Adelaide. Wonder if the space will be combined with the former Iberia next door?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#353 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 pm
Cocolat on Rundle St has closed after 12 years. Refurb underway immediately with a banner up quoting The Source about the best roast in Adelaide. Wonder if the space will be combined with the former Iberia next door?
It’s turning into a European themed restaurant and bar called Petrichor. The bar will open out into Franks Lane opposite MotherVine. Supposed to open in early October.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#354 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Nathan wrote:
I'm guessing this is due to nearby Max Brenner?

Nathan

#355 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 pm

crawf wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:21 pm
Nathan wrote:
Maybe they're more popular in the evenings, but I never see anyone in Max Brenner. Literally, staff wandering around serving no one. I'd have thought they'd be getting squeezed at the lower end by San Churro, and the high end by Steven Ter Horst.

Patrick_27

#356 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:52 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 pm
crawf wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:21 pm
Nathan wrote:
Maybe they're more popular in the evenings, but I never see anyone in Max Brenner. Literally, staff wandering around serving no one. I'd have thought they'd be getting squeezed at the lower end by San Churro, and the high end by Steven Ter Horst.
I'd say they were run out more by San Churros and their growing selection. As mentioned, Max Brenner is dead; you're almost guaranteed your own wait-staff every visit because you're the only one in the store...

Llessur2002

#357 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Could be interesting - especially with Troppo involved :)
Historic Whitmore Hotel in the CBD to reopen as Sparkke at the Whitmore

ICONIC Adelaide pub the Whitmore Hotel is set to reopen later this year after closing its doors for more than two years.

With the help of investors and supporters, all-women craft brewing and wine company Sparkke Change Beverage Co has purchased the 180-year-old Whitmore Square hotel and is giving it a $1.8 million transformation to become Sparkke at the Whitmore.

It is tipped to open in late December.

Sparkke, which markets its products as “booze with a social conscience”, has already begun work on the Morphett St pub, built in 1839, that will see it given a much-needed facelift and new space that will complement the heritage front bar.

Director of Sparkke, Rose Kentish, said the company is excited to be working with an iconic Australian firm on the transformation.

“Our design partners are Troppo Architects, one of the nation’s most highly awarded architectural firms,” Rose said.

The Sparkke team: Jamie Bucirde, Leanne Fraser, Ali James, Megan McCormick, Elle Martin, Agi Gajic and Aidan Jones in-front of the Whitmore Hotel, where construction has started on their new pub.

“They’re celebrated for their sustainable, authentic, design approach, which fits really nicely with our approach to business.”

Troppo Architects already has a connection to the square, having designed the affordable housing project at its southern end and operated Cafe Troppo.

The newly opened pub will feature a beer garden, rooftop bar, restaurant “celebrating local produce”, and office and function space.

The hub of the makeover will be a custom-designed small brewery with an 800 litre, two-vessel system at the centre of the hotel, where pubgoers will be able to watch as head brewer Agi Gajic creates limited-edition craft brews.

“The real theatre of the pub is the brewhouse,” Agi says. “We’ll be making small-batch, weird and wonderful brews – most will never be repeated again. It’s a real laboratory for experimentation and pushing the boundaries around craft brewing.

“We’ll be aiming to produce a number of speciality brews each month. I’ll be churning out speciality beers, filling kegs, rolling them into the cellar and tapping them so you can drink them fresh at the bar.”

Sparkke markets its products as “booze with a social conscience”

In an eco-friendly move, the pub will offer the small-batch brews at in a one-litre glass growler at its bottle shop.

“They’re a refillable vessel. You bring them back, they get cleaned on site, and you take a fresh one home with you,” Agi says.

The Whitmore will also be a live music and “politics in the pub” discussion venue.

“We’re really looking forward to activating the space with local musicians, national musicians and, fingers crossed, some international musicians, too,” says Sparkke’s Elle Martin.

“Politics in the pub is also a huge part of who we are and what we do… As a brand that supports causes such as asylum seeker rights, changing the date of Australia Day, sexual consent and gender equality we want to provide a space where anyone and everyone can come in, share their ideas and hear the ideas of others,” she said.

“The CBD needs a greater youth presence – a place to gather and talk about things that are not only important for young people but for all of us. There’s so much bulls**t going on politically, socially and economically in Australia so we’re really excited to build a space where our brand ethos can come to life and allow people to become more vocal and a lot more active. But, of course, it’s also a place to just have a really good time.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/thesourc ... 9fa1749193

Llessur2002

#358 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am

The Golden Wattle restaurant and bar will bloom on Pirie Street

A new hospitality group in Adelaide is taking over The Office on Pirie Street with all day food and drink and live music on the weekend.

The Golden Wattle is under construction right now. There’re teams of builders, plumbers and electricians on the site formerly known as The Office on Pirie Street and they’re busy moving, measuring, cutting, welding and fixing the space up ready to launch as a brand new restaurant and bar in three weeks.

CityMag confirms the group intend to open in the first week of October. The group of men standing in front of us – the owners, all friends – have either left steady paying jobs or are currently on secondment to the site while the build stage takes shape. The deadline elicits raised eyebrows from the team and a cautious but uniform nod from the group.

“Well, we start paying rent from October 1st,” says Damien Kelly, “so we’ll be opening up as soon as possible after that.”

The Golden Wattle restaurant and bar will be brought to you by a new group of hospitality veterans.

Damien Kelly is the owner of The Hotel Metro on Grote Street and he, along with Tom Byrnes (The Metro), Josh Philips (Magill Estate), Pete Curtis (The Port Admiral) Ben Quici (Midnight Spaghetti) and Dave Blumberg (Exeter) are putting everything they’ve got into The Golden Wattle.

“I just got off a 36-hour flight from Siciliy this morning,” says Dave Blumberg. Off the plane and straight to the building site – Dave is keen.

Dave’s energy and enthusiasm is matched by everyone in this new hospitality group. We’ll stop short of calling them bright-eyed and bushy-tailed but the team is visibly keen to get on with transforming The Office – iconic venue of the late ’90s – into The Golden Wattle – relevant eatery in the late ’00s.

“Because we’ve got restaurant backgrounds as chefs,” says Pete Curtis, “we’ll be bringing that quality and attention to detail across the whole menu.”

“There’s a fritz and sauce sandwich,” says Dave.

“Yeah,” Pete confirms and then clarifies, “but the Fritz is being made by a butcher for us specifically.”

There’s a bit of a wink in what the group are doing but the overarching theme for the Golden Wattle is to be inclusive says Damien.

“The bank got stroppy with me the other day,” he tells us. “I was filling out some forms and they wanted to know which demographic we were targeting and I just told them – ‘everyone’ – if someone wants to come in, a group of people, and they want to take over the space and make it theirs then that’s alright by us. We just want and need to make sure that everyone feels welcome here and that we have a role in creating a welcoming atmosphere,” says Damien.

While The Golden Wattle’s first draft menu features pub classics that will go down well with the area’s office workers, there are some inventive features like Bone marrow and celery heart for starters and barbecued bananas with ice cream and popcorn for dessert. The large, open plan kitchen will be a huge feature of the new venue and, in the same vein of recent pub revivals like the Port Admiral, it will centre around a large wood-fired grill.

“We had quotes to custom build a big metal BBQ grill that ranged from $1,600 – $3,600,” says Damien. “Thank god for Gumtree alerts because we ended up getting that [points to the large format metal BBQ in the middle of the construction site] for $500.

“It had never been used, it was made by inmates at Yatala prison and I drove out to Campbelltown to meet the person selling it and I paid cash and we didn’t talk. It was beautiful.”

Breakfast, lunch and dinner five days a week, with a later start on Saturdays. Live music has already been booked for October 6th – so you can be sure The Golden Wattle will be up and warbling by then.
From: https://citymag.indaily.com.au/habits/p ... ie-street/

The Scooter Guy

#359 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:35 am

Remember when The Archer was intended to be converted into The Huntsman?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#360 Post by Pikey » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Thread cleaned up.

And no, there isn't any conspiracy theories around users I don't like having their posts deleted, so no PMs please. People acting like dicks to each other and filling threads with mindless drivel is what is pissing everyone off.

Keep it on topic, act civil, and everything should be dandy.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |