[VIS] Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery

#16 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:18 am

Wayno wrote:I vote for locating in the riverbank area. Why? Well simply because it's "outside the square" and "breaks the mould", and will have great visibility as a result.

The East End already has a good balance of restaurants and residential that will only improve with time. A few basic cafes may suffer from the RAH shutdown, but that's not a compelling reason for using the old RAH site for this gallery proposal.
How is that outside the square? Everyone wants to do something on the riverbank.

Putting it in the old RAH site would be thinking out the square

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 am

Waewick wrote: How is that outside the square? Everyone wants to do something on the riverbank.

Putting it in the old RAH site would be thinking out the square
You're taking the 'square' too literally.

A gallery where an existing plot of buildings exists (even if they are demolished) won't change the postcard photo image of our fine city.

Also think from a destination perspective. Locating in the RAH site won't facilitate an overall fresh experience for locals and tourists alike.

Back to the gallery itself. Loving the idea of paralleling cultural timelines. So many different angles to that idea (science, food, fashion, technology, etc).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by ml69 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:35 am

Honey of a City wrote:Build it in the grounds of Government House. Move the Governor to a luxury apartment in the CBD as they've done in Sydney, or part of the old RAH site, and incorporate the current heritage building into a stunning post-modern gallery/music complex already surrounded by gardens and in an iconic highly accessible location. Make North Terrace the most awesome cultural, educational, botanic, entertainment, health boulevard on the planet. Give this land back to the people, and turn it from an walled archaic symbol of colonialism and privilege into an international centre of creativity, vision and opportunity. Demolish the current walls and merge the whole complex into the Parade Ground and river at the back. Convert the Parade Ground from a part time car park into a fully functional state-of-art outdoor events space fronting the river, and make the river into a 3km sculpture park. Build a beautiful footbridge over King William St to connect the whole thing with the Festival Centre/Riverbank. Don't tinker or dither - think big and then do it - now.
Totally agree with your suggestion. A new iconic, highly visible building deserved an iconic, highly visible location. Government house grounds fits the bill perfectly, a far better location than old RAH or Riverbank west of Morphett St bridge. It will be visible from both KW St and North Tce, serving as a new symbol of progress in SA.

It also reinforces and adds to North Tce as our primary cultural boulevard, and fills the gap between Parliament House and the State Library. I think the building should be very transparent, like a giant (largely) glazed pavilion sitting in the beautifully manicured gardens, which already exist there.

The existing government house could be linked as another wing to the new building, or become another museum in its own right. Lots of possibilities.

No doubt there will be squeals of protest from the parklands lovers, but we just need to get on with it and think bigger picture.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by floplo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:50 pm

why not the Parade grounds ? Take out Victoria Drive and you have a large, piece of pretty much unused space on the riverbank, yet visibly linking up with Oval & Festival centre. And this could also allow the uni to develop the rest of Victoria drive to link up with it...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Call for new site as Art Gallery of SA collection revalued at $1bn
Patrick McDonald, Chief Arts Writer, The Advertiser
August 27, 2016 12:12am

THE Art Gallery of South Australia’s collection has been revalued at $1 billion, making it the state’s largest single asset and one which should be leveraged to benefit the economy in a new contemporary exhibition space, says its director Nick Mitzevich.

Private donations to the Art Gallery also totalled a record $11.6 million last year, up $4 million from the previous year, with 34 per cent of donors now coming from outside SA.

However, 98 per cent of the collection can’t be sold, because it was acquired on the condition that it remain in the gallery’s collection, Mr Mitzevich told Friday’s SA Press Club Lunch.

“With a collection of 42,000 works of art, the gallery is bursting at the seams and ... only 1.5 per cent of the collection is now visible,’’ he said.

“This value is inert unless we act to make it work for our state and creativity. So let’s make $1 billion work for SA.’’

The State Government committed $500,000 in this year’s budget to build a business case for construction of the proposed new $260 million gallery, which has been dubbed Adelaide Contemporary.

The value of the collection, which is updated for insurance purposes, had grown from just $581 million five years ago.

Gallery attendances also had almost doubled from 420,000 in 2010 to 800,000.

Mr Mitzevich said it was a business with assets (including infrastructure) worth over $1.3 billion, 315 employees, 500 suppliers and partner galleries throughout Europe and Asia.

He cited the decision by Paris’s Louvre Museum to build a second site for its collection in Lens, which had generated nearly a million visitors in its first year and turned around the former coalmining town’s economy.

“There is yet to be a compelling Australian case study for a public museum … this case study needs to happen here in Adelaide,’’ he said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 68ca4c70f3

Nathan

#21 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am

I was expecting a big announcement about this in the budget, given there's been a fair bit of smoke lately with the old RAH plans, so was a bit miffed when it didn't seem to be mentioned. Luckily, a small little tidbit did get buried in the budget announcements:
$1.9 million for new Adelaide Contemporary gallery design competition in State Budget
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertain ... a6ab422ec1

AN international architectural competition to design the new Adelaide Contemporary gallery will be launched by the Art Gallery of SA in July.

$1.9 million was allocated in the State Budget to conduct the competition, which will be held in two stages.

Art Gallery director Nick Mitzevich confirmed the design would be for its preferred location at the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site on North Tce, bordering the Botanic Garden.

“It means the project is moving a step closer,’’ Mr Mitzevich said.

The first stage of the design competition will be open to all architects, with costs and other criteria to be announced at the end of next month.

“A selected group will then present designs for a jury to pick a winner from.’’

A time frame for construction has yet to be set or budgeted for by the State Government, although Mr Mitzevich has previously estimated it would cost $250 million.

“The competition aims to attract the best and brightest from Australia and all around the world … to bring the future to Adelaide,’’ he said.

“We are looking for an architectural solution that is symbolic of the forward-thinking nature of this project.’’

The arts budget also allocated an extra $1.25 million for next year’s Adelaide Festival, which chair Judy Potter said would help stage “large scale works’’, on top of the event’s $7.6 million annual base funding.

A total $5 million in one-off grants were also made to multicultural and community organisations for infrastructure and equipment, while Arts SA funding was increased by $1.1 million

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 am

Fantastic news! This will most likely be situated at the Old RAH site yeah? Bring it. :banana:

Nathan

#23 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:18 am

I don't think it's locked in, but in the article he says it's the preferred location.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by ml69 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Nathan wrote:I don't think it's locked in, but in the article he says it's the preferred location.
I still think a big opportunity is being missed here. Government House site is the perfect location for the Adelaide Contemporary art gallery.

This site will be across the road from the new Festival Plaza redevelopment and adjacent to two new tram stops on North Tce and KW Street. It could be another iconic symbol of a revitalised Adelaide (Adelaide Oval being the other one).

We are spending $1.9M on a global design competition and then a potential building cost of $250M. So why are we proposing to stick it on the edge of the CBD??? :wallbash:

I get the argument that the East End needs "something" to replace the lost activity of Old RAH moving away, but this should be other uses and buildings. Significant cultural institutions like our art galleries and museums should be clustered on North Tce between KW Street and Pulteney Street, reinforcing this existing usage.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by Splashmo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:13 pm

The East End is not Siberia - a new gallery would underpin the old RAH transformation and complement the Botanic Gardens, Rundle Street and the Fringe.

Perhaps if you were building Adelaide from scratch in 2017 you wouldn't put Government House on such a large and valuable piece of land, I agree.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:23 am

The tram will also allow for easy access as it stops right in front.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 am

And if they proceed with building a concert hall there too that will continue the boulevard of institutions down North Terrace.

Though for my money, the concert hall should be built astride the Festival Centre. And Government House is beautiful open space in the heart of the city: it just needs to be made publicly accessible.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino

#28 Post by rhino » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:58 pm

SRW wrote: Government House is beautiful open space in the heart of the city: it just needs to be made publicly accessible.
This /\ /\ /\
cheers,
Rhino

SBD

#29 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 am

rhino wrote:
SRW wrote: Government House is beautiful open space in the heart of the city: it just needs to be made publicly accessible.
This /\ /\ /\
Why would one choose an historic old building for a modern art gallery? I think the idea of building something iconic on the site of the old RAH sounds great for the purpose.

If Government House were to be repurposed, do we have a Constitutional Museum anywhere any more? I recall visiting it in Old Parliament House decades ago, but I believe it was closed there to make more parliamentary offices. That would be an appropriate use for a historic Government House.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 am

SBD wrote:
rhino wrote:
This /\ /\ /\
Why would one choose an historic old building for a modern art gallery? I think the idea of building something iconic on the site of the old RAH sounds great for the purpose.

If Government House were to be repurposed, do we have a Constitutional Museum anywhere any more? I recall visiting it in Old Parliament House decades ago, but I believe it was closed there to make more parliamentary offices. That would be an appropriate use for a historic Government House.
Not to sidetrack this thread with a debate that's been had many times elsewhere, but to clarify I don't support the gallery being at Government House. The governor can stay put; I just want the grounds opened (even if only through daylight hours à la Botanic Garden).

I'm ambivalent about the gallery location. I think Festival Plaza would have worked well but for Walker's tower, so the oRAH seems the next best thing.
Keep Adelaide Weird