[VIS] Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery - Designs on Page 6

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Adelaide Contemporary Art Gallery

#61 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 am

An impressive competition. The quality of designs will be nothing short of exceptional.

I've a hunch who the winner will be already.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PeFe

#62 Post by PeFe » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:42 am

Article from ArchitectureAU discussing the short list
‘Extraordinarily rich’ shortlist selected for Adelaide Contemporary competition

The South Australian government and competition organizer Malcolm Reading Consultants have announced the six shortlisted teams in the competition to design a new contemporary art gallery in Adelaide.

In the first stage of the competition, 107 teams made up of 525 individual firms from five continents registered their interest. The shortlisted teams were unanimously selected by a jury chaired by Michael Lunch, former chief executive of the Sydney Opera House. They each comprise a pairing of an international practice and an Australian practice as lead consultants:

Adjaye Associates (UK) and BVN with Steensen Varming, McGregor Coxall, Barbara Flynn and Yvonne Koolmatrie
Bjarke Ingels Group (Denmark) and JPE Design Studio with United Natures, Arketype and BuildSurv
David Chipperfield Architects (UK) and SJB Architects with Jane Irwin Landscape Architecture and Arup
Diller Scofidio and Renfro (USA) and Woods Bagot with Oculus, Pentagram, Katnich Dodd, Rider Levett Bucknall, Arup, WSP, Deloitte, Kaldor Public Art Projects, Klynton Wanganeen, James Sanders, Dustin Yellin, Right Angle Studio and Garry Stewart
Hassell and SO-IL (USA) with Fabio Ongarato Design, Mosbach Paysagistes and Fiona Hall
Khai Liew, Office of Ryue Nishizawa (Japan) and Durbach Block Jaggers (Australia) with Masako Yamazaki, Mark Richardson, Arup and Irma Boom

Full article : https://architectureau.com/articles/ext ... mpetition/

vozdra
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#63 Post by vozdra » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:26 pm

A list of highly acclaimed firms. I'll be quite intrigued to see what they have to offer.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#64 Post by fkj » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:41 am

I would love to see BIG and JPE deliver this one.

Nathan

#65 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 am

It looks like Nick Mitzevich is being poached to run the NGA in Canberra. Massive blow to the AGSA, and makes me increasingly nervous for the Adelaide Contemporary, which is his baby.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 am
It looks like Nick Mitzevich is being poached to run the NGA in Canberra. Massive blow to the AGSA, and makes me increasingly nervous for the Adelaide Contemporary, which is his baby.
Oh how disappointing - Nick's done incredible things for AGSA
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#67 Post by Nathan » Fri May 04, 2018 9:44 pm

I’m told that thanks to the change in government, and their counter proposal for the site, that many of the shortlisted architects (particularly the international firms involved) have now viewed the competition as a dead rubber.

There is also someone (government? media? museum?) actively working behind the scenes to quash any public promotion around the competition.

Can’t help but think the timing was a mistake on the part of AGSA. It probably would have been wise to have had everything 6 months earlier, with completion and announcement of the competition prior to the election campaign.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by Matt » Fri May 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Not surprising, but incredibly disappointing.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#69 Post by SRW » Fri May 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:44 pm
I’m told that thanks to the change in government, and their counter proposal for the site, that many of the shortlisted architects (particularly the international firms involved) have now viewed the competition as a dead rubber.

There is also someone (government? media? museum?) actively working behind the scenes to quash any public promotion around the competition.

Can’t help but think the timing was a mistake on the part of AGSA. It probably would have been wise to have had everything 6 months earlier, with completion and announcement of the competition prior to the election campaign.
The fault there is Labor's. There was a decade to plan this site. AGSA did well to even get it on the agenda.

I just hope that the work so far is not lost.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Outsider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#70 Post by Outsider » Sat May 05, 2018 12:09 pm

First post! I had been watching Adelaide Contemporary with a lot of interest from interstate, and it’s said to see it’s probably dead if the government is fighting the design competition. Shame to squander such a stellar set of architects.

I doubt that the National Indigenous Gallery will get up either though, given how politicised this will be by the NT’s more advanced proposal. I’m also not sure if a state ethnographic museum is ultimately the right parent institution for such a project.

Good luck.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by ml69 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:34 am

I'm really disappointed with the Marshall government on this one (and I voted Liberal).

Firstly, they didn't do their homework in being aware of the more advanced NT government proposal. The Marshall government proposal is nothing more than a thought bubble at this stage.

Now they've backed themselves into a corner if they want to keep their election promise - effectively they have to start the vision and design process again if they want to pursue the indigenous art gallery route, with no guarantee they they can even use the title "National Indigenous Gallery". This will set the process back another 12 months at least.

I think they should bite the bullet and publicly back the current competition to its conclusion IMMEDIATELY. We've gone this far with a very detailed brief prepared for Adelaide Contemporary, and brilliant architects working on design concepts. Let's not let this process go to waste. The competition deadline is June 2018 anyway.

After selecting a winner, we can then work with the winning architect in how we reallocate spaces for indigenous art if that is the route we decide to take.

I think it is critical that the gallery is not stalled. The gallery is the lynchpin of the entire ORAH site. No significant redevelopment will happen on the ORAH site until the gallery is built. Once it is, you'll see the hotels, restaurants and commercial components follow.

Ultimately, I don't care whether a contemporary art gallery or indigenous art gallery get built, as long as the building is striking and innovative.

Nathan

#72 Post by Nathan » Sun May 06, 2018 9:39 am

ml69 wrote: After selecting a winner, we can then work with the winning architect in how we reallocate spaces for indigenous art if that is the route we decide to take.
Indigenous art is already one of the key parts of the Adelaide Contemporary plans, and it was emphasised heavily in the competition brief. It’s the whole reason the museum got their nose out of joint.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#73 Post by crawf » Sun May 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Outsider wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:09 pm
First post! I had been watching Adelaide Contemporary with a lot of interest from interstate, and it’s said to see it’s probably dead if the government is fighting the design competition. Shame to squander such a stellar set of architects.

I doubt that the National Indigenous Gallery will get up either though, given how politicised this will be by the NT’s more advanced proposal. I’m also not sure if a state ethnographic museum is ultimately the right parent institution for such a project.

Good luck.
Irrelevant to this thread, though what is NT's more advanced proposal?. A new Darwin Museum has since been scrapped by the NT Government and an $150 million Aboriginal Gallery planned for Alice Springs is yet to secure any funding and is still more of a vision.

Even if the NT proposal did get built, Adelaide has a far larger population catchment giving the new SA Gallery a stronger advantage to attract more tourists and make it more financially viable. Alice Springs on the otherhand is extremely isolated and small.

I wouldn't be worried about the NT, I'd be more concerned about the other major cities which have over the years visioned their own National Indigenous Gallery, e.g. Melbourne.

Nort

#74 Post by Nort » Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 am

ml69 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:34 am
I'm really disappointed with the Marshall government on this one (and I voted Liberal).

Firstly, they didn't do their homework in being aware of the more advanced NT government proposal. The Marshall government proposal is nothing more than a thought bubble at this stage.
I too am disappointed when people I elect do the things they said they were going to do before I voted for them.

Nathan

#75 Post by Nathan » Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 am

For those interested, the Adelaide University School of Architecture & Built Environment is hosting a forum for the Adelaide Contemporary next Thursday evening, where four of the shortlisted teams will be presenting. There will also be a panel discussion, and an audience Q+A. Should prove to be highly interesting.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/adelaid ... 5850018640