[COM] Her Majesty’s Theatre Expansion

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Her Majesty’s Theatre Expansion

#121 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Considering the scale of the work, the price-tag and the short length of this redevelopment has been incredible!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#122 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm

Managed to get some photos now that most of the scaffolding is gone

Patrick_27

#123 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:11 pm

That awning is awful... How hard would have it been to go back to the original stone awning that was there when it was the Tivoli theatre?

Also, have they don't any paint work to the front?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#124 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:27 pm

I think it looks great! Can't wait for the day when it's open and we can venture out again.

On the one hand, it would have been nice to see it done up in full Edwardian glory. But that would have been hard to do authentically while incorporating all the modern requirements. So I think they made the right call by going contemporary, and even from a cursory glance, patron amenity will be 100% better than it was.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#125 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Abstract thought, but has the expansion of the theatre all but ensured that it will one day be demolished?

Prior to the renovation, the theatre was very run down but was also in a largely original state. As much of the theatre was demolished, it is now essentially a modern building, with a heritage facade.

Fast forward 50-100 years from now when what is currently a newly renovated building becomes run down. Does anyone think the argument that we often see nowadays about a building containing very few original/historical elements, thus meaning its demolition can proceed will apply to the Maj?

How is what has been done to the Maj any different to what happened during the 60/70's when older buildings were 'Modernised', losing much of there original/heritage features in the process. The former LC house on Hindley St is one such example I can think of (not that this was historic, it was a nice art-deco building though). I'm sure there are a million better examples within the city.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to the renovation in anyway and I think it looks great and it will greatly improve the functionality of the space (arguably this is more important than anything). Its just a thought that I've had...
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#126 Post by TorrensSA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:44 pm

You said it was run down and needed work, the facade was saved, which is good. It would have cost too much to renovate it all to heritage spec, which means it would sit derelict for years and eventually at some point a "fire" would make is structurally unsafe and need to be demolished. Starting in 2018 an alternative timeline would let it decline to a state that its a joke and in 2030 its abandoned, it sits empty until 2038 when theres a "fire". You get a maximum of 20 years out of the current theatre, the cost of repairs is too high, the quality of the theatre is now too low to charge a high price, so it's just closed and sold for a cheapish price due to heritage restrictions, some time goes buy and it somehow "burns down". So the new renovated theatre lasts us until 2070 until it needs major work, the old one is demolished in 2038 after sitting abandoned for 8 years.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#127 Post by Spotto » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:03 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:00 pm
Prior to the renovation, the theatre was very run down but was also in a largely original state. As much of the theatre was demolished, it is now essentially a modern building, with a heritage facade.

Fast forward 50-100 years from now when what is currently a newly renovated building becomes run down. Does anyone think the argument that we often see nowadays about a building containing very few original/historical elements, thus meaning its demolition can proceed will apply to the Maj?

How is what has been done to the Maj any different to what happened during the 60/70's when older buildings were 'Modernised', losing much of there original/heritage features in the process.
Hadn't the rennovations in the 60s also essentially gutted Her Maj? Obviously not to the extent that this project has, but all of the original features were stripped out, the grand circle was permanently closed off and the stage shrank. So there wasn't really anything heritage left to save/bring back.

I'm looking forward to seeing the complete theatre. I hope that this modernisation ages better than buildings that were done in the 60s/70s and we can look back on it fondly instead of "eww, what were they thinking?"

Though it might've been nice when building the new floorplan to try and replicate the general shape of the floorplan to give the option of restoring old heritage features at a later date. Think the Humbolt Forum in Berlin (replica rebuild of the Berlin Palace; heritage facade, modern interior but floorplan allows room reconstruction in future) but on a much smaller scale. Though the cost probably would've been much more as a result.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#128 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:31 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Abstract thought, but has the expansion of the theatre all but ensured that it will one day be demolished?

How is what has been done to the Maj any different to what happened during the 60/70's when older buildings were 'Modernised', losing much of there original/heritage features in the process. The former LC house on Hindley St is one such example I can think of (not that this was historic, it was a nice art-deco building though). I'm sure there are a million better examples within the city.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to the renovation in anyway and I think it looks great and it will greatly improve the functionality of the space (arguably this is more important than anything). Its just a thought that I've had...
There's different types and levels of heritage protection -- i.e. cultural & architectural; local & state/national. On both counts Her Maj should be safe.

While this redevelopment is mostly an exercise in façadism, my understanding is there are some internal elements being returned to place alongside the new build. Any future redevelopment would also need to protect the heritage context (the current façade and whatever else is deemed heritage 50-100 years hence).

It's worth noting that not only was the façade retained here, it was restored. Many of the windows had been blocked off in the 60s refit, and they'll be now be reactivated. Aside the level of protection (state vs local heritage), this is another difference that'll keep Her Maj standing over the former State Bank on Pirie (which is to be demolished for the Hyatt on the basis that most of its features were removed in the 80s).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#129 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:03 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:

How is what has been done to the Maj any different to what happened during the 60/70's when older buildings were 'Modernised', losing much of there original/heritage features in the process.
Hadn't the rennovations in the 60s also essentially gutted Her Maj? Obviously not to the extent that this project has, but all of the original features were stripped out, the grand circle was permanently closed off and the stage shrank. So there wasn't really anything heritage left to save/bring back.

I'm looking forward to seeing the complete theatre. I hope that this modernisation ages better than buildings that were done in the 60s/70s and we can look back on it fondly instead of "eww, what were they thinking?"

Though it might've been nice when building the new floorplan to try and replicate the general shape of the floorplan to give the option of restoring old heritage features at a later date. Think the Humbolt Forum in Berlin (replica rebuild of the Berlin Palace; heritage facade, modern interior but floorplan allows room reconstruction in future) but on a much smaller scale. Though the cost probably would've been much more as a result.
Spotto is correct, most of the building wasn't original apart from the facade after they did the last lot of renovations in the 60s/70s. In fact what they did to the building in that renovation practically ruined it's heritage value. I see this current upgrade as redeeming and much more considerate of the facade and the elegance of the original Tivoli theatre.

ChillyPhilly

#130 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#131 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:59 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Enjoy this timelapse video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olewMX7su ... e=youtu.be
Thanks for sharing the video! It’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#132 Post by Spotto » Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 am

From today’s Sunday Mail (apologies for rotation, on mobile):
CCCC8ACB-FF87-40E6-B0C3-DB1F831ED46B.jpeg
An interesting quote from the Festival Centre Director of Programming: “We worked really closely with Cox Architecture to find any sort of memorabilia or photographs that represented the original fittings and fixtures and you will actually see some ... recreated in the new building.” I wonder if these will be noticeable features or minor additions to the design.

ChillyPhilly

#133 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 08, 2020 6:28 pm

A quick one.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#134 Post by SRW » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 am

Her Maj was meant to relaunch tonight, but the premiere of Six The Musical has obviously been nixed by the pandemic.

Instead, the media has been given a walk through, and it looks great:
https://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture ... s-theatre/
https://glamadelaide.com.au/first-look- ... velopment/

Can't wait to see a show here, and grateful Adelaide will finally be able to stage more of the big ones.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#135 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:48 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 am
Her Maj was meant to relaunch tonight, but the premiere of Six The Musical has obviously been nixed by the pandemic.

Instead, the media has been given a walk through, and it looks great:
https://indaily.com.au/arts-and-culture ... s-theatre/
https://glamadelaide.com.au/first-look- ... velopment/

Can't wait to see a show here, and grateful Adelaide will finally be able to stage more of the big ones.
My only gripe with this redevelopment is that they haven't done any kind of restoration of the facade, so the paintwork is what it was before and in daylight it kind of brings down the whole new look. The footpath out the front is pretty average too, mostly bitumen, hopefully the council have plans to rectify this.