[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | ~120m & 70m | 36 & 21 Levels

#136 Post by jk1237 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:00 am

monotonehell wrote:
Algernon wrote:...And the misplaced nostalgia for the East End just isn't productive here. When I grew up the place positively thumped - you didn't just have the Fringe every couple of years, you had the Grand Prix, markets, weird French naked artists walking around in nothing but body paint and getting arrested, everything. This place doesn't exist anymore, it's a boutique cinema, apartment buildings, car parks and noise complaints. Oppose the utter crap apartments and precast concrete cinema built next to Ayres House 10-20 years ago, don't take it out on a developer in 2016 after the race has long been lost...
While it's true that the East End isn't the same as it was in the early to late nineties (I too remember the funky weekend markets that opened after the market gardeners moved out). And that during the naughties it suffered a bit of a lull after a load of retailers and restaurants shifted out to places like Hyde Park when the landlords put the rents up. But it's not true that the East End is dead now.

The new life is a load of small bars (two more opening soon) during the night, and an eclectic mix of cafes and retailers during the day. There's always people out and about - even on the weeknights. (IKR Adelaide has a night life during the week now, who'da'thunkit?) The closure of the RAH and the resultant loss of day trade is a concern. But there's also been a LOT of apartments thrown up in the past decade. Loads of people live here permanently now. And it's a nice mix of uni students, working people and retirees. I even know a few families with school age kids who live around here.

So far from the dead end you keep promulgating - just a different kind of lively to how it was.
exactly Monot. Unfortunately, Algernon has been trolling skyscrapercity for a couple of months now as Jacobsian, and must be getting bored of that so its now time to troll here and dribble complete nonsense, great :roll: Can't wait for his next installment

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#137 Post by Nathan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:21 pm

Algernon wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Algernon wrote:The Imax was built in 1998. The market occupying that site was not closed 10 years before that, not even close. I'm not talking about the market that Garden East was built on.
Both the old and new markets closed in 1988, and moved to Pooraka.
And you're wrong. There was a market operating on the site of the Imax well in to the 90s.

I remember crying in to a gelati in the food court watching the Cows get done by 130 points at Subiaco and that was 1995. There was also a stall with this fat Italian chick that collected nothing but Kinder Surprise toys.... and to my memory these weren't a craze, and possibly not distributed widely in Australia until the 90s. At one of the Rundle St entrances you had a guy that sold kick ass belt buckles. I could go on and on. The stall that sold friendship bracelets, and then those bracelets with the metal insert that snap curled around your wrist when you tapped it (although us kids would just rip the fabric off the outside and sap them on a mate's wrist, it cut their skin like hell...)
There may well have been some ad hoc markets on the site in the 90s, but the markets that are referred to as the "East End Markets" (the 'Old Market' on the northern side of Rundle St, and the 'New Market' on the southern side) most definitely moved away in 88.

> http://www.eastendadelaide.com.au/about ... d-history/
> http://members.tripod.com/bill_peg_au/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#138 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Nathan wrote:There may well have been some ad hoc markets on the site in the 90s, but the markets that are referred to as the "East End Markets" (the 'Old Market' on the northern side of Rundle St, and the 'New Market' on the southern side) most definitely moved away in 88.

> http://www.eastendadelaide.com.au/about ... d-history/
> http://members.tripod.com/bill_peg_au/
Yes arguing at crossed purposes there, you two.

Algie's speaking of the permanent weekend markets that were built there inside the old produce exchange. They were typical of the late '80's / early '90's Adelaide markets similar to Orange Lane at Norwood, The Brickworks, and several other suburban markets which have since closed.

They consisted of around four rows of indoor permanent shops (a little like the Central Market's setup) selling everything from produce to antiques. They were in the North-East corner around about where the cinemas are.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#139 Post by jk1237 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:05 pm

the only thing I miss from Rundle St in 1990s was the graffiti basketball court where the now Nova cinema is. I remember those markets where the Palace cinema now is, they were just a shitty type of Brickworks markets that were hardly ever busy. Id rather have the current setup such as Ebenezor Place over what used to be around Rundle St in the 90s, any day

Algernon

#140 Post by Algernon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:50 pm

jk1237 wrote:exactly Monot. Unfortunately, Algernon has been trolling skyscrapercity for a couple of months now as Jacobsian, and must be getting bored of that so its now time to troll here and dribble complete nonsense, great :roll: Can't wait for his next installment
I'm speaking in support for a high rise development on a high rise development forum.

If you have anything on the side against me take it to PM.

norwood
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#141 Post by norwood » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 pm

I found one

Algernon

#142 Post by Algernon » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:44 pm

Looks about right for a glass box with balconies. Covers up the car park from plenty of angles which is a winner.
Last edited by Algernon on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#143 Post by crawf » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Looks good. Lots of angles, glass which is sorely needed in our concrete filled skyline.

This also looks taller than Westpac. Perhaps we could finally have our new tallest building..

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#144 Post by jk1237 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:29 am

Algernon wrote:
jk1237 wrote:exactly Monot. Unfortunately, Algernon has been trolling skyscrapercity for a couple of months now as Jacobsian, and must be getting bored of that so its now time to troll here and dribble complete nonsense, great :roll: Can't wait for his next installment
I'm speaking in support for a high rise development on a high rise development forum.
while dribbling crap such as saying that the East End is dead nowadays :roll:

Nort

#145 Post by Nort » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:39 am

crawf wrote:Looks good. Lots of angles, glass which is sorely needed in our concrete filled skyline.

This also looks taller than Westpac. Perhaps we could finally have our new tallest building..
Hard to tell height just from looking at a render, buildings always look taller in them. That said, does anyone know the exact height of the carpark next door? Assuming the render is properly scaled, that would give a point of reference for their floor height.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#146 Post by phenom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 am

I like it more the more angles and renders I see. That said, to my eye it definitely looks more like a 'taller Vue' than taller than Westpac. I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough.

Algernon

#147 Post by Algernon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:44 am

A couple of those levels may have taller floor heights than the rest by a metre or so, but with 3m standard height for hotel/resi I'd think 115m is around the mark. 3.3m high floors would be toward the luxury end but the facade doesn't suggest this.

Pretty much until the Melbourne Cup comes around I think doing a sweeps on the height of this building is the go.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#148 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 am

How tall is Alpha Apartments on the opposite side?, that could be a good way to indicate roughly the height.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#149 Post by crawf » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:46 pm

HOLY SMOKES!!!..........

Frome Street project to become Adelaide’s tallest tower
http://www.colliers.com.au/news/2016/fr ... 5dF7JPnako

A new 36-level project planned for Frome Street, just off North Terrace, in the Adelaide CBD is set to become the city’s tallest residential tower.

Developer Kyren Group has appointed Colliers International’s Nick Pelvay and Aimee Guo to market the slender mixed use building which is set to occupy a 4163sqm site at 11-27 Frome Street in the Adelaide CBD.

The project will yield 88 apartments, with the residential component of the building occupying levels 22 to 36.

“All 88 Apartments will all have completely unobstructed, outstanding views in all directions, so we’re anticipating strong interest from the local market and Asian markets, particularly in the two and three bedroom dwellings.” Mr Pelvay said.

Levels 11 to 21 will comprise 60 one, two and three bed serviced apartments, while the ground floor to level nine will be home to a 150-room hotel.

“The residential and serviced apartments will have separate car parking, entrance lobbies, and lift access from the residential,” Mr Pelvay said.

The project will also incorporate a separate 21 storey student accommodation tower fronting Synagogue Place, which will incorporate approximately 268 beds with a ground floor cafe.

Mr Pelvay said the project would be integral to the activation of the eastern end of the Adelaide CBD, including the activation and development of a key laneway, Travistock Lane.

“It will also benefit from the $50million expansion of the AdeLINK tram network, which will see trams extended along North Terrace to the East End, and the forthcoming redevelopment of the Old Royal Adelaide Hospital,” he said.

“Kyren Group has developed in excess of $500million worth of local projects to date and has a strong reputation as a developer who moves quickly on projects and delivers on time.

“Adelaide offers a magnificent and convenient lifestyle increasingly facilitated by the convenience of apartment living in inner city locations close to shops, restaurants, cultural and sporting venues and entertainment facilities and we expect strong interest from potential residents as a result.

“These factors are driving the significant growth of the local sector, with South Australian apartment approvals now representing 31% of the residential building market – an increase from 20% in 2012. Adelaide apartment approvals have nearly doubled in the past three years from 1695 in 2012 to 3385 this year."

Last year, Colliers International was responsible for the sale of more than 9,000 apartments and land lots nationally, totalling over $4billion in sales.

The new project at 11-27 Frome Street marks Colliers International’s second major residential appointment in Adelaide’s continually evolving residential apartment market, following the launch of its local Residential team earlier this year.

Mr Pelvay said it was an ideal time to expand the company’s existing, market-leading Residential Project Marketing services into the Adelaide market.

“We identified a strong need for a highly capable and experienced tier one team to support the growth of Adelaide’s apartment and infill markets and are pleased to now be offering that service,” he said.

The project is expected to create in excess of 350 construction jobs.
Last edited by crawf on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#150 Post by Dvious » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:29 pm

I don't really like it. But it just needs to happen.

Something on the Adelaide Skyline needs to change. I can sense something soon!