[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
floplo
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | ~115m & 70m | 35 & 20 Levels

#46 Post by floplo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Ben wrote:I wonder if we've matured as a forum. This is likely to be our second tallest or potentially even new tallest at 35 levels and no one even cares. Back in 2008 everyone would have left wet patches behind them.
Because no pretty pictures (or blank walls....) yet ?

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by floplo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:21 pm

One thought I had was the use of Synagogue Place, which borders this on the western side. Since that is pretty much a dead-end street without noticeable traffic (and if that doesn't change through that development), would it be possible to change it into a lane for food trucks ? It's quite central, doesn't really limit traffic, and it's limited in size (maybe three, four trucks ?), so not that really a big threat to existing establishments (heck, the burger place at the end might even profit from the increased exposure & foot traffic). Also, if they could convince the university and whoever owns the Freemason's hall, they could have walkway access from the western side and North terrace.

My guess is though that (especially if the car park comes down), they will create a full retail front on Frome street and run residents' car access through Synagogue Place.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by Algernon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Ben wrote:I wonder if we've matured as a forum. This is likely to be our second tallest or potentially even new tallest at 35 levels and no one even cares. Back in 2008 everyone would have left wet patches behind them.
It's obvious this won't be a new tallest though.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by Blimp » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:41 pm

Regardless of outcomes lets hope that the rhino room is given assistance (if required) to relocate and hopefully they can recreate the vibe/feel that exists now (which is marvelous). lets also hope whatever is put up is of a high standard - I'd love to see a quality building work to block out the hideous Globe Apartments on Synagogue Place.

Patrick_27

#50 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:19 pm

Having worked in and out of the music industry now for four years (both here and in Melbourne), those of you saying 'it can be easily relocated' have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, and it's highly likely that those same people have never actually been inside the Rhino Room. The layout and acoustics are perfect (largely due to the solid brick structure of the building), and in terms of what else Adelaide has to offer, nothing comes even close. Who would cover the expenses of this relocation? Neither the developer or government (who said they would) helped the Jade Monkey with their move, and the options available to them were limited in that they had to build their band room from the ground up, on a site that is relatively out of the way of everything. Please, do as you've always done, love the destructive nature of this development, but spare me the whole 'relocation is easy' rubbish.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by Mpol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:36 pm

I've been in several times. For club and comedy.

Ta.

Algernon

#52 Post by Algernon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Having worked in and out of the music industry now for four years (both here and in Melbourne), those of you saying 'it can be easily relocated' have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, and it's highly likely that those same people have never actually been inside the Rhino Room. The layout and acoustics are perfect (largely due to the solid brick structure of the building), and in terms of what else Adelaide has to offer, nothing comes even close. Who would cover the expenses of this relocation? Neither the developer or government (who said they would) helped the Jade Monkey with their move, and the options available to them were limited in that they had to build their band room from the ground up, on a site that is relatively out of the way of everything. Please, do as you've always done, love the destructive nature of this development, but spare me the whole 'relocation is easy' rubbish.
I haven't lived in Adelaide for years. But I remember way back when the apartments went up near the Austral. After the noise complaints came in, post approval, post construction ( :applause: ) the Austral needed to go to the effort of building a solid concrete nuclear friggin bunker out the back to placate the residents. At the time pubs were a roaring trade at the top of the cycle so it was viable at that point to go to that expense. But for a naturally lower turnover style business like a boutique club... capital expenditure is a big deal if you're already on the breadline.

One thing though for people to remember here is that places like this rhino room will always face development pressure. This is because the economics of both developers and boutique club operators overlap in one respect - they both need low site to capital ratios, ie value of the construction relative to land value, and in the case of development... higher land value is a green light to demolish. So, a club operator that needs a cheap rent will always opt for a cheaper building to survive, the same buildings developers flag as development potential. The reason I say this is that people here are drawing a straight line between 2 points and saying the trend is moving towards killing these venues and accelerating. It's not a trend, the economics behind it is the same 50 years ago and 50 years in the future. This is the daily reality for a small club operator - the cheap building is ideal, but has risk attached.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | ~120m & 70m | 36 & 21 Levels

#53 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Definitely our tallest officially proposed in terms of levels. Will be interesting to see what the height is. Somewhere between 110m and 140m.
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/425/2016
Lodgement Date: 27/06/2016
Latest Decision
Description: Demolish existing building on Synagogue Place and construct 21 level apartment building and demolish buildings fronting onto Frome Street and construct 36 level residential and serviced apartment building with linkages to the existing car park at the rear.
Applicant Name
Names

FROME DEVELOPMENT 1 P/L

ghs

#54 Post by ghs » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Having worked in and out of the music industry now for four years (both here and in Melbourne), those of you saying 'it can be easily relocated' have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, and it's highly likely that those same people have never actually been inside the Rhino Room. The layout and acoustics are perfect (largely due to the solid brick structure of the building), and in terms of what else Adelaide has to offer, nothing comes even close. Who would cover the expenses of this relocation? Neither the developer or government (who said they would) helped the Jade Monkey with their move, and the options available to them were limited in that they had to build their band room from the ground up, on a site that is relatively out of the way of everything. Please, do as you've always done, love the destructive nature of this development, but spare me the whole 'relocation is easy' rubbish.
Supermild closed down last year mate and they now have a much better location on Hindley street which is better for the patrons and also better for Hindley street.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Howie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Ben wrote:Definitely our tallest officially proposed in terms of levels. Will be interesting to see what the height is. Somewhere between 110m and 140m.
Latest Decision
Description: Demolish existing building on Synagogue Place and construct 21 level apartment building and demolish buildings fronting onto Frome Street and construct 36 level residential and serviced apartment building with linkages to the existing car park at the rear.
Applicant Name
Names

FROME DEVELOPMENT 1 P/L
Thanks mate, exciting stuff!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:37 pm

Don't put the render in the header until it is actually complete :P

Algernon

#57 Post by Algernon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Ben wrote:Definitely our tallest officially proposed in terms of levels. Will be interesting to see what the height is. Somewhere between 110m and 140m.
Latest Decision
Applicant Name
Names

FROME DEVELOPMENT 1 P/L
Where are you getting such a massive height from though? There is no office component suggested in the register. I cannot see anything taller than 110 metres. 140 metres would make this thing a purely commercial building, or a resi with a cheat stick on top.

One thing that makes sense from reading that register.... appears the car park stays. The idea that thing would go didnt make sense, accounting for its age and size. Hopefully these resis cover it up well.

Algernon

#58 Post by Algernon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Btw 10 years ago when any level of high rise advocacy in Adelaide was about 5 guys on Ozscrapers copping daily bullshit from 12 year olds from Perth..... I remember taking photos of those apartments going up over the road thinking wow, finally Adelaide is starting to grow again. 10 years on and just a lazy 36 storeys proposed across the street.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by slenderman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Algernon wrote: Where are you getting such a massive height from though? There is no office component suggested in the register. I cannot see anything taller than 110 metres. 140 metres would make this thing a purely commercial building, or a resi with a cheat stick on top.

One thing that makes sense from reading that register.... appears the car park stays. The idea that thing would go didnt make sense, accounting for its age and size. Hopefully these resis cover it up well.
This proposal could quite conceivably be taller than 110 metres and up to 140 metres, although 140 is probably pushing it. Take a few large-scale apartment/hotel developments/proposals in Adelaide (height in brackets represents height of building if it were 36 storeys by dividing total height by number of floors and multiplying by 36):
- Vue is 89m and 28 storeys high (114m)
- Kodo is 103m and 30 storeys (124m)
- Sofitel is 110m and 32 storeys (124m)
- Park Hotel is 115m and 30 storeys (138m) - Obviously I'm referring to the 30 storey proposal rather than the 40 storey one here.

I get that the above isn't a perfect measurement when you factor in podiums, ground floors etc., but this one could also have a big podium plus some sort of architectural feature at the top, which could certainly make it at least 120-130m tall.

Even so, Rhino Room would be an unfortunate loss. I don't really care for comedy, live music or anything like that, but I respect that a lot of people do. It certainly contributes more for the general population than some exclusive apartments will, as much as I like architecture and high rise buildings.

I'm quite fond of the Gerard and Goodman building from a gritty urban laneway sort of perspective, although it's fairly derelict and I don't know off the top of my head what (if anything) occupies it. Would be somewhat sad to see that one go if it's slated for demolition.

Also a shame that the ugly carpark doesn't seem to be going, but it would be a welcome sight (or lack of sight in this case) to see it blocked out from Frome Street.

Algernon

#60 Post by Algernon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Leave the cheat stick out because it would be a different situation altogether. But to be 140m it would basically mean 4m floor heights. For a resi that is just unheard of. Even a building like Eureka only went to 3.3.