[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

#1 Post by Ben » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:55 am

A huge development. We will hear more about this one soon.

This site:

http://www.colliers.com.au/news/2015/ma ... 2yL1MB96Uk
Description of Proposed Development: Demolition of existing structures and construction of a multi-level mixed use development comprising retail and commercial uses; hotel; student accommodation; residential and serviced apartments, including car parking, landscaping and site works.
Detailed Land Uses: Residential - Residential Flat Building
Tourist Accomm - Hotel
Application Type: DAC - Adelaide ($10m)
Land Use/Building Consent:Yes
Lodgement Date: 20 Jun 2016
Address: 11-27 Frome Street & Lot 101 Synagogue Place, Adelaide
frome4.jpg
frome4.jpg (113.07 KiB) Viewed 38547 times

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | Hotel and apartments

#2 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:42 am

You mean we'll actually have a multi-level car park demolished?

Hopefully they keep the older buildings on site - particularly the one backing on to Synagogue Place (Gerard & Goodman building), but there's something oddly appealing about the Eckerslay's building on Frome St as well.

No idea how that could cost $10m though.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by thecityguy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:51 am

10m sounds awfully cheap for a hotel and residential building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Ben » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 am

No that is saying it's worth over $10m the cut off for the ACC.

urban
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by urban » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:58 am

Nathan wrote:You mean we'll actually have a multi-level car park demolished?
No, this is Adelaide, the car park will be retained and the heritage buildings will be demolished!

noted
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by noted » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Nathan wrote:You mean we'll actually have a multi-level car park demolished?

Hopefully they keep the older buildings on site - particularly the one backing on to Synagogue Place (Gerard & Goodman building), but there's something oddly appealing about the Eckerslay's building on Frome St as well.
Yes would be great to demolish or at least hide the car park. Can't say I share your view about the Eckerslay building, but agree that it would be pretty disappointing to see the old Gerard and Goodman factory go. Not only for the heritage value of the architecture, but also because it has a pretty interesting history to it which is worth keeping imo. It was rejected for heritage listing because "further research needed" which sounds a bit like the old Glenelg cinema story, where demolition approval was swiftly granted before it could be heritage listed. Overall the development approval is great news, but I'm with you in hoping they can find a way to incorporate the old factory.

Patrick_27

#7 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm

All of you seem to be forgetting that Rhino Room is located on this site... Whether or not this building stays, it's future as a live music venue is questionable due to noise complaints that will no-doubt come from any apartments built on this site. I can tell you all now, any such development impacting yet another live music venue in this city will have me publicly protesting against it.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by mshagg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:All of you seem to be forgetting that Rhino Room is located on this site... Whether or not this building stays, it's future as a live music venue is questionable due to noise complaints that will no-doubt come from any apartments built on this site. I can tell you all now, any such development impacting yet another live music venue in this city will have me publicly protesting against it.
I seem to recall there was already some controversy regarding the status of the rhino room when the site initially went up for sale, although i think that was more about concerns it was included in the site and would be levelled.

I dont take it for granted that there will be "noise complaints" from residents and I think it's a furphy to suggest that live music cant coexist with high density residential. That being said, protest away.

Algernon

#9 Post by Algernon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:All of you seem to be forgetting that Rhino Room is located on this site...
Was about to say exactly the same thing.

Rhino room stays or I'm out

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Dvious » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:14 am

I should have chimed in earlier but a friend is working for the landscape architect and tells me its a 27-storey building (not 100% sure). Architects are Brown Falconer.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Blimp » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Development in this area will be important for Rundle st moving forward to compensate for the loss of foot traffic once the RAH closes. But I'm definitely with others here who will be against it if the rhino room + the howling owl building are to make way. Lets hope the rhino room is integrated instead!
Last edited by Blimp on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by thecityguy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Not saying the rhino room shouldn't stay. But can someone explain why it's so important? I thought it was just a small bar/live music venue? Easily moved or replaced?

Algernon

#13 Post by Algernon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 pm

thecityguy wrote:Not saying the rhino room shouldn't stay. But can someone explain why it's so important? I thought it was just a small bar/live music venue? Easily moved or replaced?

When I lived in Adelaide it was one of the better stand up comedy venues. I guess the consensus here is development is good, but cities are built to live in.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Blimp » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:22 pm

The trouble is these venues replacement/relocation aren't guaranteed, if we dont fight for our small venues such as the rhino room then we'll end up with a sterile city.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by thecityguy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 pm

ghs wrote:
Blimp wrote:The trouble is these venues replacement/relocation aren't guaranteed, if we dont fight for our small venues such as the rhino room then we'll end up with a sterile city.
End up with a sterile city ?

Adelaide already is sterile.
Adelaide certainly isn't sterile?

I'll cop the small country town stigma.

But definitely not sterile