[PRO] 164-180 Hindley Street | ~75m | 22 Levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] 164-180 Hindley Street | ~75m | 22 Levels | Hotel

#1 Post by Ben » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:46 am

Quite big for the area. This is the Rockford hotel. Not sure if the total is 22 or if its 22 levels on top of what is there.

Development No: 020/A051/17
Description: alterations and additions to existing hotel (22 storeys)
Address
164-180 HINDLEY ST, ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA, 5000

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 164-180 Hindley Street | ~75m | 22 Levels | Hotel

#2 Post by PeFe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:07 am

Do you mean it could be on top of the existing hotel? Or on the same site but totally new build?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Ben » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:09 am

I said i'm not sure haha

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:17 am

I was wondering how long it would be before we saw something proposed here. The Rockford is pretty underdeveloped for the site.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Dvious » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:55 am

The extension incorporates the existing building.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by slenderman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:03 pm

It will be interesting to see from an engineering perspective how they plan on building above the current structure if they aren't getting rid of it.

Also, is it possible that the 22 storeys are above the existing ~5 storey building? If so, at about 27 storeys, that would be very prominent for the area.

Looking at the application, it looks like Intro Design are associated with this. Going through their designs, a lot of them are those modular buildings, so I'd probably expect to see one of those on this site. They are a bit hit and miss; I believe the general consensus is that 157 Waymouth looks good, while the Lester Hotel looks bad.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#7 Post by rev » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 am

Probably the same manner in which they open lower levels of skyscrapers in other parts of the world, while work continues on upper levels?

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by slenderman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:54 am

rev wrote:Probably the same manner in which they open lower levels of skyscrapers in other parts of the world, while work continues on upper levels?
Sorry if my original comment wasn't clear. I'd say that's more of a logistical thing. What I meant was how is the existing structure going to take the new dead load of 17 (or 22) additional floors on top?

If they're keeping the current building, considering that there doesn't appear to be much empty footprint on the site where they can put the new extension in without affecting the current building, how will they design this?

Was the existing structure originally designed so that it could take this load? Like how the John Martin's/David Jones carpark was originally designed to have a hotel on top and now it has apartments?

Will they demolish part of the current building and put in some new piles/foundations to support the new structure and have it sit above/next to what's left of the old one, kind of like that new Victoria Square proposal which sits behind and on top of the MLC building (obviously minus the demolition as there's a bit of empty space on that site currently occupied by an open air carpark)?

Or do they have some other plan I'm not aware of? That's what I'm interested in, seeing how the engineers will work with the constraints of the site to design this new building.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AG » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:35 am

slenderman wrote:
rev wrote:Probably the same manner in which they open lower levels of skyscrapers in other parts of the world, while work continues on upper levels?
Sorry if my original comment wasn't clear. I'd say that's more of a logistical thing. What I meant was how is the existing structure going to take the new dead load of 17 (or 22) additional floors on top?

If they're keeping the current building, considering that there doesn't appear to be much empty footprint on the site where they can put the new extension in without affecting the current building, how will they design this?

Was the existing structure originally designed so that it could take this load? Like how the John Martin's/David Jones carpark was originally designed to have a hotel on top and now it has apartments?

Will they demolish part of the current building and put in some new piles/foundations to support the new structure and have it sit above/next to what's left of the old one, kind of like that new Victoria Square proposal which sits behind and on top of the MLC building (obviously minus the demolition as there's a bit of empty space on that site currently occupied by an open air carpark)?

Or do they have some other plan I'm not aware of? That's what I'm interested in, seeing how the engineers will work with the constraints of the site to design this new building.
Cantilever the new structure over the existing building so that it isn't carrying any additional loads. This has been done recently on a couple of projects in Sydney where the section of building directly over the existing utilises hanging columns and diagonals to transfer the load across to a core or larger columns on the other side of the building.

See 5 Martin Place in Sydney for example: http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/about/la ... opped.aspx

Algernon

#10 Post by Algernon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:28 pm

AG wrote:
slenderman wrote:

Cantilever the new structure over the existing building so that it isn't carrying any additional loads. This has been done recently on a couple of projects in Sydney where the section of building directly over the existing utilises hanging columns and diagonals to transfer the load across to a core or larger columns on the other side of the building.

See 5 Martin Place in Sydney for example: http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/about/la ... opped.aspx
The new Greenland centre crossed my mind. But here there is so little room on site without doing demolition. Hardly even room to build a new core. There's a slither of land at the front and a recent addition to the side which maybe can go. Sounds like a lot of effort and expense to retain what might be 3,000sqm of building area if they're lucky.

Next to no chance of getting up IMO.
Last edited by Algernon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by slenderman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:29 pm

AG wrote: Cantilever the new structure over the existing building so that it isn't carrying any additional loads. This has been done recently on a couple of projects in Sydney where the section of building directly over the existing utilises hanging columns and diagonals to transfer the load across to a core or larger columns on the other side of the building.

Thanks for the example, very insightful and interesting.

I think that a cantilever is what I meant by the new building hanging over and next to the existing one. Obviously I need to brush up on my engineering terms.

But if they want to implement a cantilever over the existing building, surely it would involve demolition of at least some of that building, as that footprint is pretty much entirely occupied so there wouldn't be anywhere to construct the part of the new building where the core is located and to which the cantilever is fixed, if that makes sense.

In that example you provided, they constructed the core in the area where they demolished the 1960s addition to the "Moneybox" building and then cantilevered over the heritage buildings, so some area on this footprint must become available if they want to do something like that on this site.

Algernon

#12 Post by Algernon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:31 pm

slenderman wrote:
AG wrote: Cantilever the new structure over the existing building so that it isn't carrying any additional loads. This has been done recently on a couple of projects in Sydney where the section of building directly over the existing utilises hanging columns and diagonals to transfer the load across to a core or larger columns on the other side of the building.

Thanks for the example, very insightful and interesting.

I think that a cantilever is what I meant by the new building hanging over and next to the existing one. Obviously I need to brush up on my engineering terms.

But if they want to implement a cantilever over the existing building, surely it would involve demolition of at least some of that building, as that footprint is pretty much entirely occupied so there wouldn't be anywhere to construct the part of the new building where the core is located and to which the cantilever is fixed, if that makes sense.

In that example you provided, they constructed the core in the area where they demolished the 1960s addition to the "Moneybox" building and then cantilevered over the heritage buildings, so some area on this footprint must become available if they want to do something like that on this site.
Yeah I'm assuming they would demo the small addition on the side of the site. Or go ultra cheap and nasty and have a core abutting Hindley St

Nathan

#13 Post by Nathan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Plans lodged for $45 million, 22-storey revamped Adelaide Rockford hotel
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... c554cedae6

A REVAMPED Adelaide Rockford hotel is set to rise 22 storeys above the intersection of Hindley and Morphett streets.

Plans have been lodged for a redevelopment that would involve partial demolition of the current hotel, making way for a nearly 80m tall tower on its western side.

The remainder of the current five-level building would undergo a major refurbishment.

The $45 million project — a figure that excludes interior fitout costs — would add an extra 259 hotel rooms.

A new restaurant, lounge, and bar are included in the plans, along with conference facilities and office space.

It is understood owners Townhouse Investments Pty Ltd are keen to capitalise on the market created by the newly expanded Adelaide Convention Centre and soon to open new Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Planning and architectural firm Intro Design is steering the project for the owners.

Intro senior planning adviser Anthony Gatti said a key goal was to activate the ground level spaces facing the busy intersection.

“This is trying to open up that corner and make it a more vibrant space,” he said.

A roof terrace would be enclosed in glass or perspex to protect hotel guests from the elements.

“That will have to be quite high for wind or acoustic purposes, mainly wind. It’s a communal space for hotel users,” Mr Gatti said.

“We’re investigating using a ‘green roof’ in that area, having landscaped plants and not just a paved surface.”

Mr Gatti said it had not yet been determined whether the office space would be tenanted or for hotel guests. Plans were lodged at the end of June.

Mr Gatti expected the Development Assessment Commission to make a request for further information on “a range of technical matters” within a fortnight.

The proposal comes as the new 245-room Holiday Inn Express, further east along Hindley St, prepares for a mid-August opening.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by thecityguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Wow need this badly in that spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 am

Looks good. Will look quite prominent from Rundle Mall and add more density to the West End.

Current site - Google images