[COM] 269 North Terrace | 119m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 34 Levels | Student accommodation

#91 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 am

I am tending to agree. I like the building overall, but the street level doesn't fit that strip of North Terrace.

At the same time it's hard to figure out a decent solution. Other buildings on North Terrace have kept older structures as ground level facades but the church on the site isn't really suitable for that. Also at the same time, the site doesn't seem big enough to build a podium and have a setback.

SBD

#92 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am

Nort wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 am
I am tending to agree. I like the building overall, but the street level doesn't fit that strip of North Terrace.

At the same time it's hard to figure out a decent solution. Other buildings on North Terrace have kept older structures as ground level facades but the church on the site isn't really suitable for that. Also at the same time, the site doesn't seem big enough to build a podium and have a setback.
Looking at pages 7-9 of the report to the SCAP, it does not look possible to completely satisfy both the Government Architect and the State Heritage Branch who care about the State Heritage Place next door. The Government Architect appears to want a building that extends to and dominates the corner of the block and the North Terrace street frontage. The Heritage Branch is pleased that the set back aligns with the setback of the State Heritage Place (presumably in contrast to the current structure).

I'm not entirely certain I can define a single "the character" of North Terrace between Pulteney Street and East Terrace to expect any new building to fit. I think the heritage buildings have survived quite well with a range of different times of "modern" inserted between them.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#93 Post by Ben » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 am

Deferred:
The State Commission Assessment Panel resolved to defer consideration of the development to allow the applicant to explore in more detail the following issues:
• In association with the Associate Government Architect and the State Heritage Branch, consider the introduction of pedestrian protection at ground level on both street facades.
• Demonstrate that external materials and finishes will deliver the stated architectural design integrity.
• The provision of more realistic streetscape imagery from Frome Street and North Terrace that includes existing and approved developments.
• Provision of lift access to the basement.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by HiTouch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:48 pm

This isn't a bad thing. There are some good reasons to defer. It also shows that they're clearly not against the development.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#95 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Ben wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 am
Deferred:
The State Commission Assessment Panel resolved to defer consideration of the development to allow the applicant to explore in more detail the following issues:
• In association with the Associate Government Architect and the State Heritage Branch, consider the introduction of pedestrian protection at ground level on both street facades.
• Demonstrate that external materials and finishes will deliver the stated architectural design integrity.
• The provision of more realistic streetscape imagery from Frome Street and North Terrace that includes existing and approved developments.
This sort of crap from the Assessment Panel - obviously we don't have detailed development guidelines on how our city should look. Development guidelines seem to be on a development to development basis.
Were was such criteria when they were Assessing "The Sponge"

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#96 Post by Ben » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 pm

ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm
Ben wrote:
Deferred:
This sort of crap from the Assessment Panel - obviously we don't have detailed development guidelines on how our city should look. Development guidelines seem to be on a development to development basis.
Perhaps it is these developments that have pressured them into taking more consideration in what the delivered materials will be rather then just taking it from a glossy render.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by HiTouch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Yeah I think the "spongebob on meth" was a line in the sand. I can confirm there was a significant amount of feedback passed on the ACC in regards to the development.

Another thing that is brought up as a reason is that the renders don't show what this building will look like with the Adelaidean and the other student development nearby.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm fine with this one being put on hold. The building is decent and would be good for Adelaide, just not in this location. I don't like how it's right next to the future tallest when there is so much free space in the city.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#99 Post by Jaymz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Ben wrote:
Deferred:
And it's a good thing. Lots of development going on in our CBD right now. Cranes dotted everywhere..... and most pleasingly all from private investment.

However, happy this one got deferred. The day we start approving buildings based on some cartoon drawings, is the day we start on the slippery slope to becoming a smaller version of Brisbane.

Patrick_27

#100 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm
I'm fine with this one being put on hold. The building is decent and would be good for Adelaide, just not in this location. I don't like how it's right next to the future tallest when there is so much free space in the city.
Is this not the same kind of argument that I've been getting torn apart over? Regarding the placement of high-rise development in the city...

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by Jaymz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:13 pm

ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm
Ben wrote:
Deferred:
Because the "sponge" is nowhere near 100 metres tall, also built in an area crying out for development. Not built on our finest cultural boulevard. And to be honest, I'm warming to that building. I fly past the city weekly and it gets my attention, not entirely in a bad way.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm
Is this not the same kind of argument that I've been getting torn apart over? Regarding the placement of high-rise development in the city...
Sort of. I always said I like development and tall buildings in the city so long as they're in a good place and they're not hurting the area. It's not like I support every development that's proposed. In the case of this building though I wouldn't get fussed if it were approved, though I'd prefer it if it were somewhere else. Maybe just a block away as this area could become a cool skyline nook. Also I haven't been one tearing you apart over this.

To clarify, the biggest reason I don't like this building being here is it blocks the view of Adelaidean. This is nothing about the developers, it's a citzen's view who would rather the bigger, premium building be seen unobstructed from North Terrace.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#103 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:58 am

If the Sponge has made the ACC more vigilant in approving quality, I am all for it. I love seeing all of this development in our city but the last five years have been hit and miss. If we make developers more accountable for what they place in our city, we can only get a better outcome.

I really like the design of this, but they were right to deffer. A proposal like this relies so heavily on the quality and finish of the materials. Being student accommodation the outcome could have been scary, so the right decision was made. Let's hope the developer can prove they are wanting to develop quality and come through with the goods

When will this get back to the ACC for approval? Anyone know?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#104 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 am

Remember everyone, developments of this value are no longer approved by the ACC. This student tower and the one on Waymouth St are subject to the State DAC.

That said, I agree more attention should be paid to design in approvals. We don’t really know what effect the pre-lodgement design review process has had on developments. I think the ACC should look to put more specific objectives for design into the next development plan update so it’s clearer for developer and community.

As for this student tower, but for concern over materials, I’m ok with the design and actually appreciate the street level interface.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#105 Post by rev » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:12 am

Something like this would be a better design option.
2C34C886-ECFB-44D9-8D22-4B5946F80691.jpeg
2C34C886-ECFB-44D9-8D22-4B5946F80691.jpeg (175.77 KiB) Viewed 2896 times