News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Parklands

#376 Post by Nathan » Thu May 25, 2017 5:36 pm

claybro wrote:Great to see some attention to a focal point of the parklands. This type of feature should be replicated at all main entry points to the city, instead of the stupid "city gate" idea. Imagine the Main North road entry with this landscaping, Sir Don and Unley road, West terrace etc. Lets hope however, given past experience it does not end up a few clumps of dead native grass, and some purple pipes left unused hanging out of the ground.
On that thought, given that SDR would be the primary route in for tourists coming from the airport, and one of our biggest tourist drawcards is wine, maybe they could line either side of SDR with vineyards? Would certainly look good coming over the bridge, and could be tied in with the Adelaide Uni's program at the wine centre (particularly since the vineyard there got drastically downsized to make way for the wetlands) and any high school programs. Guess it would depend on what the soil is like around there.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Parklands

#377 Post by Norman » Thu May 25, 2017 5:43 pm

I forgot to upload these photos of Adelaide Oval 2:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#378 Post by Norman » Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 am

Thought our green city deserves its own thread for our green spaces :)
Plaza idea, more greenery for seedy Whitmore Square being discussed by Adelaide City Council
Simeon Thomas-Wilson, Urban Affairs Reporter, The Advertiser
May 16, 2018 12:34pm

CREATING a central plaza with a cafe or kiosk and planting more greenery to make Whitmore Square more like a park than a “roundabout” are among ideas being pursued by Adelaide City Council to make the much-maligned city precinct more user friendly.

However a survey conducted by the council says improving the safety of the square — one of Adelaide’s most popular meeting spots for those sleeping rough — at all times of the day should be among its key priorities for the area.

The council is developing a masterplan for the south west city patch of land, with community consultation on the six plans closing on Sunday.

They are;
  • A CENTRAL Plaza that could include a cafe and kiosk to act as a meeting spot and a multipurpose activity space,
  • OPEN lawns, separated from the road that could host a community event — which would mean extending the current lawns and removing some trees,
  • INCREASED “greening” to make it feel more like a park rather than a roundabout,
  • A GATHERING space, improving seating,
  • INTERACTIVE small areas for playing and linking to local art, and
  • IMPROVE the intersection and arrival points for pedestrians and cyclists by creating “prominent” entries into the square.
An Adelaide City Council spokeswoman said the draft masterplan would be ready by late next month to go out to the community.

Priority projects would be recommended, with $200,000 already proposed in the draft Integrated Business Plan to progress some of them.

President of the City South Association David Bolton said the community was excited about the ideas proposed in the masterplan.

“I think the general feeling is one of being quite pleased,” he said.

“The engagement has been good so far.”

But the community feedback and a survey conducted by the council has feeling “safe and comfortable” in the square as one of the three top themes.

With the Salvation Army and the St Vincent de Paul’s men’s crisis centre both in Whitmore Square, it is one of the most popular locations for homeless people in the CBD.

Shelter SA chief executive Dr Alice Clark said she hoped those service providers had a chance to respond to the survey.

“Providers have actually said that they think the open space actually makes it safer,” she said.

“I hope the Salvos and Vinnies and the like got the chance to have their say.”

A council spokeswoman said safety and comfort in the square also included traffic and lighting.

“The project team is also drawing on City of Adelaide’s ongoing relationships with local social service providers and state government to ensure the master work understands the needs of specific social services and their clients in the vicinity,” she said.

Llessur2002

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#379 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:18 am

Always thought an H-Class tram would be a good addition to one of the city squares - perhaps Hindmarsh.

The one on Wigley Reserve in Glenelg seems a bit wasted...

SBD

#380 Post by SBD » Wed May 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 am
Plaza idea, more greenery for seedy Whitmore Square being discussed by Adelaide City Council

However a survey conducted by the council says improving the safety of the square — one of Adelaide’s most popular meeting spots for those sleeping rough — at all times of the day should be among its key priorities for the area.

I wonder if she meant safer for people sleeping rough or safer from people sleeping rough (make them go somewhere else). I hope it's the former.

claybro

#381 Post by claybro » Wed May 30, 2018 4:01 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:42 pm
Norman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 am

I wonder if she meant safer for people sleeping rough or safer from people sleeping rough (make them go somewhere else). I hope it's the former.
The only way to make it safer FOR people sleeping rough, is not to have them sleeping rough. People who need to sleep rough, should be given alternative shelter, and life assistance. Those who sleep rough as a lifestyle choice (and yes there are those who will not conform to the norms of society) should have this option removed from them using already existing laws. Some areas are unsafe at night because of the "rough sleepers" and that is not a desirable situation and should be discouraged at all cost. Feeding people just to then turf them out into the streets to fend for themselves, or worse, feeding them where they lay is really not helping them long term at all and seems to be making the problem worse.

Patrick_27

#382 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Meant to put this up the other day but a group have made a submission to the ACC to build a treetop walk in the southern parklands (between Adelaide Hockey Club and Adelaide Bocci Club) which will also include zip lines. I'll dig out the submission and post here later.

Algernon

#383 Post by Algernon » Wed May 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Having the 5 squares both surrounded by and carved up by high traffic, high noise, wide streets totally writes them off as attractive parks to visit. The Colonel got a few things right with the city plan, but the parks within the city centre he did not. I've seen too many lively city parks in other cities to see it any other way.

Patrick_27

#384 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Algernon wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:26 pm
Having the 5 squares both surrounded by and carved up by high traffic, high noise, wide streets totally writes them off as attractive parks to visit. The Colonel got a few things right with the city plan, but the parks within the city centre he did not. I've seen too many lively city parks in other cities to see it any other way.
Because Light didn't think ahead 150 years to a time where Adelaide would be entirely dependant on private vehicles and result in the prioritisation of vehicles over pedestrians. The best balance of these factors for Adelaide was in the 20s when cars were still a growing thing and people actually prioritised the idea of taking a tram and walking places rather than relying on driving.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#385 Post by citywatcher » Thu May 31, 2018 12:20 am

I lived near Whitmore sq in the 60s and the local boys we used to play full on soccer matches in the sw corner
It prob remains the best sq stuck in the cnr it's been largely left alone as all you really need is lawns and big trees and walking paths
Its not rocket science

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#386 Post by Bob » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm
Algernon wrote:
Because Light didn't think ahead 150 years to a time where Adelaide would be entirely dependant on private vehicles and result in the prioritisation of vehicles over pedestrians. The best balance of these factors for Adelaide was in the 20s when cars were still a growing thing and people actually prioritised the idea of taking a tram and walking places rather than relying on driving.
The city plan of Adelaide was not really designed by Colonel Light.

The plan was pre-designed by Kingston in London in 1835 of one square mile, 1000 one acre lots, surrounded by four terraces and including five squares and six chains (120m) of reserved parklands from the terraces. The squares form part of the parklands.

Once the team arrived in 1836, Kingston with the help of Fischer, set out to find a suitable location.

Light was given the job as Head Surveyor however he did not have the skills, he merely headed the team, Light’s sole job was to ‘fix’ the location, which Kingston practically did for him.

The final agreed location had terrain restrictions and the waterway (later named Torrens) so the original pre-plan was split into two (South Adelaide & North Adelaide), but as a whole the City of Adelaide.

Apart from Victoria Sq, the other squares did not have the streets running through them, they were squares, parklands, in their true form.

If anyone is interested in the true story of how the City of Adelaide and its design came about, especially focussing on why Adelaide and its parklands are so significant historically, it is well documented in a book which you can borrow through the Library system, it covers everything in detail and was comprehensively researched using historical records of all forms -

Anticipating Municipal Parks
London to Adelaide to Garden City
Donald Leslie Johnson

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#387 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:47 pm
Meant to put this up the other day but a group have made a submission to the ACC to build a treetop walk in the southern parklands (between Adelaide Hockey Club and Adelaide Bocci Club) which will also include zip lines. I'll dig out the submission and post here later.
That sounds cool and a good use of parkland space.
Bob wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm
Algernon wrote:
The city plan of Adelaide was not really designed by Colonel Light.

The plan was pre-designed by Kingston in London in 1835 of one square mile, 1000 one acre lots, surrounded by four terraces and including five squares and six chains (120m) of reserved parklands from the terraces. The squares form part of the parklands.

Once the team arrived in 1836, Kingston with the help of Fischer, set out to find a suitable location.

Light was given the job as Head Surveyor however he did not have the skills, he merely headed the team, Light’s sole job was to ‘fix’ the location, which Kingston practically did for him.

The final agreed location had terrain restrictions and the waterway (later named Torrens) so the original pre-plan was split into two (South Adelaide & North Adelaide), but as a whole the City of Adelaide.

Apart from Victoria Sq, the other squares did not have the streets running through them, they were squares, parklands, in their true form.

If anyone is interested in the true story of how the City of Adelaide and its design came about, especially focussing on why Adelaide and its parklands are so significant historically, it is well documented in a book which you can borrow through the Library system, it covers everything in detail and was comprehensively researched using historical records of all forms -

Anticipating Municipal Parks
London to Adelaide to Garden City
Donald Leslie Johnson
Dude. I feel like I've just learnt Santa isn't real. Everything is a lie.

Algernon

#388 Post by Algernon » Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Maybe 15 years ago I was in a lecture theatre with an academic recounting that story. It was like the oxygen was sucked from the room. Poor Colonel.

I wasn't too disappointed because, well, I'm not too big a fan of the plan or planning in general.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#389 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 pm

A new Exeloo has been installed next to the TAFE on Light Square.

Nathan

#390 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Am I the only one who hates Exeloos? Every one I've been in has the floor flooded, toilet seats are often broken, and the music crackles in and out. Given the choice, I would still prefer to use the normal public toilets near the northern pedestrian entrance to the TAFE carpark.