News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Parklands

#316 Post by Ho Really » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:12 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:You have to laugh at the comment made by the Parklands Preservation Association.. The parklands surround the CBD! If you want tranquil areas, go somewhere in the hills. The parklands should be a space that can be used and enjoyed by the community, not something that sits vacant for much of the year and is uninviting for people..
Why should city people who want some tranquility have to go to the hills! You can have your events in specified areas like Victoria Park etc., but please keep the parklands green and the fencing and concrete to a minimum. Look how Victoria Square has been screwed up. There's more (reinforced) concrete than green that's turned the square into a heat island! So come on fellas don't knock those that have been around much longer than you and have seen the worst of how governments and developers conspire to screw things up. Remember when the greenery is gone that's it. No turning back. My rant.

Cheers

P.S. I'm not a member of the PPA or any other kind of preservation society.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

claybro

#317 Post by claybro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:02 am

But therein lies the problem.. Currently the parklands do not present in many areas as green inviting spaces. They are in many parts dry barren dustbowls, that cut the city off from the inner suburbs, and create a dark and foreboding barrier at night. Any effort to encourage more irrigation, and useable space is to be encouraged.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#318 Post by jk1237 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:12 am

Ho Really wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:You have to laugh at the comment made by the Parklands Preservation Association.. The parklands surround the CBD! If you want tranquil areas, go somewhere in the hills. The parklands should be a space that can be used and enjoyed by the community, not something that sits vacant for much of the year and is uninviting for people..
Why should city people who want some tranquility have to go to the hills! You can have your events in specified areas like Victoria Park etc., but please keep the parklands green and the fencing and concrete to a minimum. Look how Victoria Square has been screwed up. There's more (reinforced) concrete than green that's turned the square into a heat island! So come on fellas don't knock those that have been around much longer than you and have seen the worst of how governments and developers conspire to screw things up. Remember when the greenery is gone that's it. No turning back. My rant.

Cheers

P.S. I'm not a member of the PPA or any other kind of preservation society.
Victoria Square is not screwed up, what a silly, senile thing to say. If your concerned about heat island effect of Adelaide, lets reduce the amount of road bitumen in our CBD, starting with Victoria Square.

Capac
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#319 Post by Capac » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 am

claybro wrote:But therein lies the problem.. Currently the parklands do not present in many areas as green inviting spaces. They are in many parts dry barren dustbowls, that cut the city off from the inner suburbs, and create a dark and foreboding barrier at night. Any effort to encourage more irrigation, and useable space is to be encouraged.
Park 21 is one of the biggest culprits of this. A sizable section of the park is just an overgrown badly maintained mess. Especially the area south to veale gardens.

Ho Really

#320 Post by Ho Really » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:39 pm

jk1237 wrote:Victoria Square is not screwed up, what a silly, senile thing to say. If your concerned about heat island effect of Adelaide, lets reduce the amount of road bitumen in our CBD, starting with Victoria Square.
Go stand in the middle of the concreted area on a hot day and then tell me it isn't a heat island. Silly... senile? Bah...

Reduce the bitumen to what? Paved malls? You may solve some air pollution issues but you aren't making it any greener. I'm not against some streets closed off but I don't want to hear the argument that our main thoroughfares need to be closed off because of locals, council or whomever wants it.

Cheers

Ho Really

#321 Post by Ho Really » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:45 pm

Capac wrote:
claybro wrote:But therein lies the problem.. Currently the parklands do not present in many areas as green inviting spaces. They are in many parts dry barren dustbowls, that cut the city off from the inner suburbs, and create a dark and foreboding barrier at night. Any effort to encourage more irrigation, and useable space is to be encouraged.
Park 21 is one of the biggest culprits of this. A sizable section of the park is just an overgrown badly maintained mess. Especially the area south to veale gardens.
Well, how about the government implement my idea of building reservoirs underground in the South Parklands? Water can be harvested from the southeastern suburbs and then fed by solar powered pumps to the areas requiring watering. I think Flinders University came up with some underground storage system a few years ago. Think out of the box.

Cheers

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#322 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Capac wrote:
I hear you.

And do you want to know something funny? The ACC has deliberately kept park 21 looking like this because it's apparently one of the last remaining untouched patches of Adelaide Plains bushland.

So it's current condition is the end-state goal.

Ahahahaha...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Patrick_27

#323 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Ho Really wrote:
jk1237 wrote:Victoria Square is not screwed up, what a silly, senile thing to say. If your concerned about heat island effect of Adelaide, lets reduce the amount of road bitumen in our CBD, starting with Victoria Square.
Go stand in the middle of the concreted area on a hot day and then tell me it isn't a heat island. Silly... senile? Bah...

Reduce the bitumen to what? Paved malls? You may solve some air pollution issues but you aren't making it any greener. I'm not against some streets closed off but I don't want to hear the argument that our main thoroughfares need to be closed off because of locals, council or whomever wants it.

Cheers
Ho, trees need time to grow. You'll no doubt find that in a few years time the site will be largely shielded from weather elements with many thanks to the choice of trees on the grass area.

Patrick_27

#324 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Enough with the planning and just get on with something, how many proposals have been put forward by the government/council over the years and not been seen through? There's no pleasing the Parkland Preservation Society so they just need to around.

I think a matter that hasn't been addressed in this report is the roads head through the parklands. Some should be closed, redirected or trenched. Costly I know but if they really want to unify the area, I think it's important. Particularly in the southern/eastern parklands.

Llessur2002

#325 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Wayno wrote:The ACC has deliberately kept park 21 looking like this because it's apparently one of the last remaining untouched patches of Adelaide Plains bushland
The sad thing is - that would be fine with me. But I never knew about that. Nor, I presume, do most other people. So why on earth haven't the ACC made something of it? Perhaps some signage? Some nature walks? 'Experience the bushland in the City' - it could actually work. Jesus Christ, just make an attraction of it so that people are aware of it and it actually gets seen and appreciated for what it is.

But that seems to be the story with much of the Parklands - a secret exclusive area kept exactly as it is, suiting only a few select people who are 'in the know'...

claybro

#326 Post by claybro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Wayno wrote: The ACC has deliberately kept park 21 looking like this because it's apparently one of the last remaining untouched patches of Adelaide Plains bushland. So it's current condition is the end-state goal.
I call BS on this! :sly: And even if so, who cares if this little patch is the last remaining whatever....it is in the middle of a capital city. All commuters, tourists, residents travel past the parklands to get into the city, and quite frankly, most of the approaches from the south, west, and north are a poor first impression of the CBD.

skyliner

#327 Post by skyliner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:41 pm

It's better approach than many cities have. BUT, most of the park lands seem disconnected and/or too dry and uninviting. IMHO they should be magnetic to cbd people and reachable in a short time (ie lunch time). Most appear little used.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#328 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 pm

claybro wrote:
Wayno wrote: The ACC has deliberately kept park 21 looking like this because it's apparently one of the last remaining untouched patches of Adelaide Plains bushland. So it's current condition is the end-state goal.
I call BS on this! :sly: And even if so, who cares if this little patch is the last remaining whatever....it is in the middle of a capital city. All commuters, tourists, residents travel past the parklands to get into the city, and quite frankly, most of the approaches from the south, west, and north are a poor first impression of the CBD.
The "bushland" is more of an illusion. It's just a screen of bush along the edges. In the middle of each area are playing fields, remote control plane/helicopter/drone space, and sometimes a lake...
https://goo.gl/photos/9ULdQJMzzMo7VTAg7 (video)
https://goo.gl/photos/BUxnw79bWcCdY4Lq5 (photo)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002

#329 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:45 pm

monotonehell wrote:and sometimes a lake...
Hmmm, if it's the bush then surely it's a mirage?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#330 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:10 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:and sometimes a lake...
Hmmm, if it's the bush then surely it's a mirage?
Just a once off. A pipe somewhere in the middle of 21 burst and was flowing quite strongly for around a week before it was repaired. The ducks and ibis loved it. Not sure if it was the purple pipe that permeates the parklands from the Patawalonga poo permeation procedure.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.