News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

Re: Parkland control change in the wind

#31 Post by adam73837 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here and I've been looking at some of the articles and forums for quite a while.
Firstly, I'd like to say that when I was watching 'Stateline' tonight, they interviewed Martin Hamilton-Smith about his new plan for Adelaide. I personally am happy with the fact that government want to take control of the parklands, because it could mean that Adelaide will no longer be controlled by the minorities and this is good for a city like Adelaide.
I have mixed attitudes towards MHS's scrapping of the 'Marj' (which i think is one of the worst names they could have chosen for it). On one hand, we need a new hospital, however on the other hand, would a hospital really suit the City West? Especially if they want to put 'riverside' developments next to the Torrens.
Another thing that I am glad about is the fact the MHS wants to electrify the railway network. As he mentioned on 'Stateline', we are the only city in Australia which has trains that run off of diesel fuel. I mean if we want to progress as a greener city, surely we would want to go ahead with the electrification.
Finally, I wuld like to state that at the end of the interview with MHS, the host of 'Stateline' said that 'Stateline' had asked Patrick Conlon to come onto the show, however he refused to do so. I wonder why that could be. :?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by Edgar » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:06 am

Possibly he had a lot to be asked for in regards to our tumbling railing system. This is not the first time he refused to make comments (in this case refuse to come onto the show) but even if he does, it sounds so ridiculously stupid how one could made such a comment.

And I also agree with your in regards to the awkward name given to the proposed new hospital, and also the location is so wrong. I like the idea some of the people in this forum had proposed that we should build a new stadium instead of The Marj.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by monotonehell » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:12 am

JamesXander wrote:The Liberals will NEVER sell off another public asset.
Never ever? Seriously that's some claim. ;)

The problem with Hamilton-Smith's speech was that it was all dreams and aspirations that were designed to strike emotionally with people. No real substance or actual plan or vision at all. People listening may catch hold on to one point or another and identify with that, but if you listened to it holistically it was patent rubbish. For example they'd rather go through the expense and disruption of renovating the hospital (again) than start from scratch on a new site. As highlighted on the Stateline interview he's not thought through what he means by "taking control of the parklands". Electrifying the train network would not solve the problems with current infrastructure and ineffective routes.

Not that the current Government seem to have all the answers either, but they at least have some concept of reality.

Some really ballsy decisions need to be made regarding public transport in this state, but I doubt that either Labor or Liberal would make them. The Libs would be all about selling off the entire system to private operators. Private operators are never interested in investing in infrastructure on the scale we need to solve the current problems.
Edgar wrote:Possibly he had a lot to be asked for in regards to our tumbling railing system. This is not the first time he refused to make comments (in this case refuse to come onto the show) but even if he does, it sounds so ridiculously stupid how one could made such a comment.
I wouldn't want Pat's job right now, he's hogtied by budget restraints from above. Unless there's a considerable CHUNK of funds thrown at the public transport network we wont see a result, no matter who the minister is.
Edgar wrote:And I also agree with your in regards to the awkward name given to the proposed new hospital, and also the location is so wrong. I like the idea some of the people in this forum had proposed that we should build a new stadium instead of The Marj.
A stadium for what? If you build it, they wont necessarily come...
Last edited by monotonehell on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#34 Post by adam73837 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:30 am

If we build a soccer stadium (what with the upcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup that we want to bid for), we'll be able to host International Games and friendlies and this will attract people to come and see the soccer matches. If we then have big matches like that occassionally, people will want to come and see more Adelaide United games and this will promote the sport.
I think that building a stadium is a great idea. :D
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:21 am

adam73837 wrote:If we build a soccer stadium (what with the upcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup that we want to bid for), we'll be able to host International Games and friendlies and this will attract people to come and see the soccer matches. If we then have big matches like that occassionally, people will want to come and see more Adelaide United games and this will promote the sport.
I think that building a stadium is a great idea. :D
What's that thing down at Hindmarsh for? Although it has a capacity between 16 and 21K depending on how much temp seating they install and a World Cup would need multiple venues with capacities between 40 and 80K so I'll shutup now... ;)

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#36 Post by rhino » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:15 am

monotonehell wrote: The problem with Hamilton-Smith's speech was that it was all dreams and aspirations that were designed to strike emotionally with people. No real substance or actual plan or vision at all. People listening may catch hold on to one point or another and identify with that, but if you listened to it holistically it was patent rubbish. For example they'd rather go through the expense and disruption of renovating the hospital (again) than start from scratch on a new site. As highlighted on the Stateline interview he's not thought through what he means by "taking control of the parklands". Electrifying the train network would not solve the problems with current infrastructure and ineffective routes.

Not that the current Government seem to have all the answers either, but they at least have some concept of reality.
I'm glad to see that someone else saw through that too. If the Libs are going to build a freeway from Wingfield to Victor Harbor, there's not going to be any money left for any of the other projects he's mentioned.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#37 Post by Cruise » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 am

At least we can hope it gets people talking

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Bulldozer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Cruise wrote:At least we can hope it gets people talking
Bingo, that's the point.

Plus at least everyone knows who MHS is, unlike his predecessors Ian Who and Rob Cretin.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Rymill Park Lake

#39 Post by Wayno » Tue May 27, 2008 6:49 am

Rymill Park lake is scheduled to have its heavy-duty plastic liner installed this week (week of 26 May). Would be great ifd some of the photographic S-A members took some pikkies of the work in progress.

I believe the plan is to have all work completed and approved by SA Water for refilling before the end of July.

[sorry if this topic already exists in another thread - i looked and looked but could not find it]
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Rymill Park Lake

#40 Post by Ho Really » Tue May 27, 2008 10:32 am

Yes, it would be interesting to see some pics. Please do get something close-up.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by SRW » Tue May 27, 2008 5:24 pm

There was a report with Jane Reily on Ten News.

It's costing $250,000, and is designed to last at least 25 years.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Wayno » Tue May 27, 2008 5:50 pm

SRW wrote:There was a report with Jane Reily on Ten News.

hmmm, I suppose the rubber itself will last that long, but i bet vandals won't be able to resist the urge to damage the lining many times across that period...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Wayno wrote:

hmmm, I suppose the rubber itself will last that long, but i bet vandals won't be able to resist the urge to damage the lining many times across that period...
The usual practice is to line the lake, then put bed soil on top then add water. I doubt vandals are that proactive. (unless you mean in the interim while it's exposed?)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by Wayno » Tue May 27, 2008 5:54 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Wayno wrote:

The usual practice is to line the lake, then put bed soil on top then add water. I doubt vandals are that proactive. (unless you mean in the interim while it's exposed?)
ah, got it - did not realise sand was being added. Some photos will help clarify...

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:34 am

well here you go guys, some pics